Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 5:00:24 AM EDT
Just getting started... a mere babe in swaddling wrap.

Almost ready to press... Would like to watch a pro first.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm 35 minutes south of C'ville in Nelson Co. on US 29.

Only 1 problem, all my stuff is apart since I'm building a new loading bench. I should be back online in a week or so if you can wait.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#2]
No problem... I'm waiting on Midway to deliver the detail stuff to me anyways...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I am over in Fishersville (Augusta County) and could possibly swing by your place and help you set up if that suits.

Later,
Adrian
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am over in Fishersville (Augusta County) and could possibly swing by your place and help you set up if that suits.

Later,
Adrian

That is mighty kind of you!

I will repost here when all the goodies arrive as I am only half ready at this time.

I'm still trying to find Sierra 77g. HPBT with a CANNELURE bullets but I don't think I will find any. It is the same bullet used in the MK262 Mod1 round.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I know absolutely nothing about reloading....but I would like to reload some .223...let me know if you figure it out!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm back in the saddle, all set up again.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Danny

Thanks Danny for the update...

Here is my situation at this time:
I still do not have my .223 dies and supplies yet, mainly due to $$$ shortage after getting the stuff needed to reload 30-30 which I already have dies for.

I now have a Lyman T-Mag Turret Press, Lee beam scale, .223 & 30-30 Lee trimmers, Lee camfer tool, Lee hand Primer, as well as some other stuff.

For best bang for the $$$, I am still deciding if reloading "defensive" .40 S&W is better for me financially than loading heavy-bullet .223. Both are expensive retail.

I presently have a very good supply of 5.56mm ammo, including some MK262 Mod 1 blems but I am seriously lacking in the "defensive" .40 area. .40 FMJ's are cheap but good quality hollow-points like Gold Dots are big $$$.

So, I need to decide if it is WISER for me to buy the .40 S&W dies, powders, bullets, and stuff FIRST and build up my supply, then later, as money allows, buy the .223 stuff. Or vice-versa; get .223 first and .40 later...

I'm thinking .40 as I really need to get better with my pistols, as my IDPA scores sadly show.

What do you reload Danny?

Rmpl
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I work in Cville and commute from Fluvanna.
I reload for .223 and 30/30 among others. I'm a single stage only guy though, so if you also want info on progressives someone else might be a better teacher.

Loading defensive .40 with premium HPs is still going to be expensive, but should give some cost savings over factory.  Most of us reloaders probably shoot cheap stuff for practice, then sight in with the good stuff for carry,rather than trying to duplicate premium ammo for practice. Even the handloads are quite expensive if you shoot a lot of premium bullets. I try to get an FMJ or cast handload that shoots to a similar POI.

Your .223 vs .40 question really depends on what you do with the respective calibers. If you shoot highpower or varmint hunt, I'd definitely get the .223 set up first as that provides big cost savings over factory varmint and match ammo. If you're a .223 plinker, I'd wait on it,as FMJ .223 shows only some cost savings. If you're primarily an IDPA guy and plan on shooting a lot soon, go with the .40.
Welcome to reloading,BTW.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Later,
Adrian

That is mighty kind of you!

I will repost here when all the goodies arrive as I am only half ready at this time.

I'm still trying to find Sierra 77g. HPBT with a CANNELURE bullets but I don't think I will find any. It is the same bullet used in the MK262 Mod1 round.

Rmpl

Good luck on the Sierra 77s with a cannelure.   I gave up and just bought a cannelure tool.   Has worked quite well for my 75gn Hornadys.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danny

Thanks Danny for the update...

Here is my situation at this time:
I still do not have my .223 dies and supplies yet, mainly due to $$$ shortage after getting the stuff needed to reload 30-30 which I already have dies for.

I now have a Lyman T-Mag Turret Press, Lee beam scale, .223 & 30-30 Lee trimmers, Lee camfer tool, Lee hand Primer, as well as some other stuff.

For best bang for the $$$, I am still deciding if reloading "defensive" .40 S&W is better for me financially than loading heavy-bullet .223. Both are expensive retail.

I presently have a very good supply of 5.56mm ammo, including some MK262 Mod 1 blems but I am seriously lacking in the "defensive" .40 area. .40 FMJ's are cheap but good quality hollow-points like Gold Dots are big $$$.

So, I need to decide if it is WISER for me to buy the .40 S&W dies, powders, bullets, and stuff FIRST and build up my supply, then later, as money allows, buy the .223 stuff. Or vice-versa; get .223 first and .40 later...

I'm thinking .40 as I really need to get better with my pistols, as my IDPA scores sadly show.

What do you reload Danny?

Rmpl

Sent you an email with the same as below:

I have dies for .38/.357 mag. - 9X19 MM - 357 Sig - 40 S&W/10MM auto - .45
acp.

Rifle - .223 Rem. - .308 Win. - .30-06 Spfld. - .223 Rem. Ackley Improved -
.308 Win. Ackley Improved and .50 BMG.

I'm mostly into precision rifle loading, occasional blasting ammo and 10 MM auto.

Danny

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
... I am seriously lacking in the "defensive" .40 area. .40 FMJ's are cheap but good quality hollow-points like Gold Dots are big $$$...

When I do .40's I usually use a 180gr. Hornady XTP.  You can get them for about $10.50/100.  It's not bad.  The XTP is probably the most accurate hollowpoint I've ever used.  It's the most accurate round I've used in .40, period.  Terminal performance can be a bit sketchy.  Sometimes jacket fragments will come off and the expansion is not always 100%.  
Some will tell you it's not a good idea to use your own handloads for carry purposes because some lawyer could get you on the stand and accuse you of making "extra-lethal" rounds or crap like that.  That's garbage as long as the shoot was justified.  With that said, I quit carrying my handloads since I switched to .45 ACP Ranger T's.  
Be glad you have a turret press (progressive would be even better).  It's a real pain to load pistol rounds on a single stage.  MJD  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top