Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2003 1:00:29 PM EDT
Didn't want to hijack that other thread about moving to NH or Maine, so I figured I'd start a new thread.  I'm in Massachusetts, but want to move to NH, VT, or ME.  

I don't have anything tying me here like wife or kids or anything, so that's not an issue for me.  However, I do need to find work in one of those places in order to move.

Specifically, I've been trying to get into a career in law-enforcement for some time now.  MA police departments seem to rely mostly on the old "who-you-know and not what-you-know" addage.  Does anyone know of and can recommend any departments in New Hampshire, Vermont, or Maine that are hiring?

In addition to LEO positions, I'd also be interested in any other sort of criminal-justice related positions in those states.  I do have my associates in law enforcement and a bachelor's in criminal justice.

The bottom line is basically to find myself a new and decent home-state and to find myself a career I'll enjoy for the next 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Hudson,NH was recently hiring. Don't know what the current situation is, but you might check them out. Good luck.

S-I
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Theyre always looking for State Police or Burlington (biggest city in VT, relatively) PD.  I've heard from State cops that pay isn't something to brag about, but the risk isn't all that much either.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 4:51:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Check with Chief Patterson with the Saint Albans City Police, Tell him Tony (from Alder Run) said to give him a call. I ask what other places he might know has an opening ie: Vermont State Police etc.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks everyone for the replies.  

I checked out Hudson, NH but according to their website they're not currently hiring.

Burlington looked ok.  Can't get to St. Albans City's website.  So, I'll see about calling them and talking to the chief if possible as you suggested ARgon.

I'll definitely take a look at the VT State Police though.  Their starting salary was higher than I expected, and the entrance standards were do-able.  I say "do-able" since I've never been a fast distance runner, so that 1.5-mile in 12-minute part of the Cooper exam always stops me.  But it looks like VT state police have a "points" system so although I'd lose a point or two on running and the bench press, I'd pick points up on push-ups, sit-ups, flexibility, etc...
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Border Security (Customs and INS) has a current announcement out.  About $45,000 after 3 yrs + OT.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Oh?  I hadn't seen that one listed anywhere.  I'm on the e-mail list for US Customs where they send out e-mails with job openings when they become avaialable.  Haven't seen any yet though for this area.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to website, I think it's the CareerFinder section.  I may have been wrong though, it might not be out yet but supposed to hire 3000 Southern Border and 3000 all other locations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top