Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2017 6:02:40 PM EDT
Looking to possibly change careers from law enforcement to real estate. Just looking for information about being a realtor.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I was one back in 2001-2004. Made some good money first year and a half. Started going down hill after that. Lots of "tour guide" for the buyers out there.
Understand that it is a 100% commission job. No sales, no check. Also, you usually have to split commissions with your broker.
Right now, it is a Seller's market in most areas. People creating bidding wars for houses.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it would be good to pursue it as a side job. It would be awesome to reinvest your commissions in rental properties and retire in 15 years.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it would be good to pursue it as a side job. It would be awesome to reinvest your commissions in rental properties and retire in 15 years.
View Quote
I've thought about that too, I work 12 hr shifts so it wouldn't be as hard to do it on the side
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I was. Keeping my license wasn't worth the time investment to keep my CE hours. Course i got my license early 2006 and quit in 2009 or so. it was always a part time gig.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a Realtor.  Had a job change last year so got my license as I have aways been interested in RE.  My wife and I started a business in 2015 which has taken off greatly and takes most of my time.  Just a Realtor part time at the moment.  I did get through all the post license CE a few months back, so now have that behind me for a couple years.  

One of the brokers at my firm and his business partner both made the transition from law enforcement almost 10 yrs ago.  I'd be happy to speak with you further about it as well as make an introduction to them if you like.  

Let me know if you have any specific questions at this point.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
i would be cautious. are you good at sales? when times are good you can make good money, when times are bad you make no money whatsoever. unless you are very good at selling. i built houses up thru 2008 as a side biz and worked with agents. i got out of the 'side biz' (kept my day job in IT) and most of the women (all of the agents were female) had to find other work. a few, very good ones were able to hang on and get through the bad times because of their abilities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top