Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2006 7:20:34 PM EDT
I was checking out the www.beapilot.com page, and they have a whole bunch of flight schools listed in the area.  Anyone have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to post what airports you are near.  I think the instructor matters more than the school.  At a minimum talk with a few instructors at different schools.  I prefer the more structured part 141 schools.  If you can afford the time and money upfront, try to train continuously.  Good luck.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Brooklyn, so I can get to the closer ones on the island like Fairchild pretty easily.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you a college student? Looking for colleges to attend/transfer into?

Farmingdale seems to be the place to go on Long Island.  It will have many more choices as far as flight instruction go.  Get out to Republic Airport, and meet some pilots there.  The aviation community is remarkably small and tight knit.  If you're looking for a good instructor, the pilots you ask are going to personally know somebody or know an FBO that can fit your needs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy Cow...I was just wondering if there were other private pilots on LI on ar15 .com  That answers the question....Cool.
ANyhoot...
I'm a student pilot right now flying out of ISLIP.... 41 hrs into the program.  And just did my first solo yesterday...Fri 8/25.
As for flight schools / instructors... I think what counts is your confidence in the cfi you will be learning from.
I live in Nassau county / Border of queens / ny and I prefer the school in islip .
I like the fact that ISLIP is a larger Airport.  You can easily reach ISLIP from LIRR as well...(lot of folks from NYC take the train to go to ISP.)
Which schools are you looking at...
I think each school has it's own +/- and if you want to know my opinion send me an e-mail.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top