Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 11:50:45 AM EDT
I may be relocating to the Oh/Ky/In area in a year or so. SO, the wife, kid and I may be visiting areas in the next few months to scout for a location. I will hopefully still be employed and working at the CVG airport. I am curretly employed by a small airline, anyone ever here of Delta?

So I am wondering if I can get some info for the area, you know taxes, house prices, schools, and firearm laws. I am currently here in Georgia and like I said, the time table may be a year from now.

Any info would be great.

I will be cross posting this on the Ohio and Indiana boards.

Thanks all.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:32:21 PM EDT
You will be fine, I live in Boone Co. which is where I'm guessing (based off of how many I've met) the majority of Delta employees live. Not because it is the same county the airport is in but because IMO, it's the best county in N.-KY when you compare cost or living\housing, taxes, schools, crime rate, etc.

We moved into Boone Co a little over 5 years ago. At the time, it had the lowest tax rate and highest rated schools in the state (not sure if it's changed since(?) but I doubt it). This last year Burlington (in Boone Co.) ranked 79th in Money Magazine's top 100 places to live in the US. (Crestwood, which is also close by but not in Boone Co., ranked 52nd but there are much fewer housing options there and what there are, are much more expensive).

I can think of no good reason for you to move into Ohio but IN might be worth looking into if you want to be "out" a little more without having a long drive into work. A lot of Delta people live out that way too.

Gun wise? Well the good news is KY is about as pro 2nd amendment as just about any state in the US. The bad news is you better buy a big piece of property (or make friends with somebody who already has, because range wise...N-KY blows. You have to drive at least 45 minutes one way to find a half way decent range (and you have to be a member to shoot at those).

There is outdoor public range in Crittenden. I guess it beats nothing but not by much. For a good laugh, stop by Mark's guns in Florence. if their prices and "expert" advise doesn't crack you up, nothing will! Which brings up the other point, if you like buy guns for a far price, warm up to buying off of the Internet.

Overall, it really is a good place to live. Good luck
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:00:24 PM EDT
You gonna work for Delta or Comair? Are you a pilot? Or do you have to show up at CVG everyday?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:15:35 PM EDT
funny how when you fly into the greater Cincinnati airport.....its really in Kentucky

essayons
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:59:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CbtEngr1:
funny how when you fly into the greater Cincinnati airport.....its really in Kentucky

essayons

Greater Covington International! Seriously,Gov. Wilkerson was not happy 'bout the Cincinnati part,as Northern Ky and the state put alot of money into CVG(Delta terminals),Cincy did'nt help their cause by bitching about airport noise.(Delta during the day,DHL at nite).
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:22:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cgv69:

There is outdoor public range in Crittenden. I guess it beats nothing but not by much. For a good laugh, stop by Mark's guns in Florence. if their prices and "expert" advise doesn't crack you up, nothing will! Which brings up the other point, if you like buy guns for a far price, warm up to buying off of the Internet.

Yeah, Mark's is great isn't it. I'm not sure how good it will be yet, but the owners of the Shooter's Supply down on 3L (17) are building a new store (somewhere down the road, not sure where) that will have a 25 yard indoor range. It should be open in a couple months. The kicker here is that you will be allowed to shoot rifles on the range. I know 25 yards is damn short for rifle shooting, but at least you can do it!

BTW, I've been down to the Crittenden range before, but only to sight in rifles through those wonderful tubes. Can I go over to the other side of that stree that crosses the railroad tracks and shoot pistol or do I have to be a member of some sort? I've driven over there and I have seen people shooting, but there was a sign that said something about "only during club sponsored events" or something to that effect.

Thanks cgv69 for any info, and Buzzstrike--you will like N. KY I'm sure. Good luck!

Drew
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:01:35 AM EDT
Well, the wife is already trying to make plans for us to move. And she wants at least 3-5 acres of land.

But the reason for the land is that she wants a pet COW. Why I don't know.

Thanks for the info.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:36:35 AM EDT
Keep the cow in the backyard and you won't have to mow the grass. Just watch out for the landmines...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:46:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hero:

Yeah, Mark's is great isn't it. I'm not sure how good it will be yet, but the owners of the Shooter's Supply down on 3L (17) are building a new store (somewhere down the road, not sure where) that will have a 25 yard indoor range. It should be open in a couple months. The kicker here is that you will be allowed to shoot rifles on the range. I know 25 yards is damn short for rifle shooting, but at least you can do it!

BTW, I've been down to the Crittenden range before, but only to sight in rifles through those wonderful tubes. Can I go over to the other side of that stree that crosses the railroad tracks and shoot pistol or do I have to be a member of some sort? I've driven over there and I have seen people shooting, but there was a sign that said something about "only during club sponsored events" or something to that effect.

Thanks cgv69 for any info, and Buzzstrike--you will like N. KY I'm sure. Good luck!

Drew

Nope not unless you're a member of a gun club.Lots of land in Grant,Owen,Boone,Gallatin,Harrison Counties. I have a HS classmate who is an air traffic controller at CVG,he lives just north of Georgetown,drives up there every day. Sure hope Delta sticks around,but it ain't looking too good!(Dad was a pilot for Delta for 33 years,stepmom is still an FA there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:48:53 AM EDT

Drew - You read the sign right, you can only go to the "pistol" range on Club night (Fridays I think?) It's the same with the Trap and Skeet range. I have shot my pistols at the "rifle" range (off to the side, over the fence) but I only go there on weekdays when nobody else is around. I doubt shooting over the fence with a pistol would go over well on weekends.

Those tubes are a joke. I have no idea what they think they are accomplishing with those? I use to think it was just there but apparently it's a state reg. for all KY public ranges?

I've heard about the new shooters solutions store\range (actually I thought it was just going to be a range and the store was going to stay put?) Either way, the dates keep changing on that project and I kind of wonder if it's ever going to happen? Their prices weren't too bad I guess (all things considered) but I hope they increase their selection.

Originally Posted By Buzzstrike:
...And she wants at least 3-5 acres of land.
But the reason for the land is that she wants a pet COW

A pet Cow huh?... well, alrighty then

Seriously, if you are looking for acreage then you will probably have to go further out then Boone Co.. Funny because 10+ years ago, Boone Co. was considered being "out there" but a lot of development has happened since then.

Considering you will be working at the airport, I would look in IN. Land is still pretty cheap there(comparatively speaking) and you can take 275 from IN right to the airport with very little traffic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:42:30 AM EDT
Heard a good reason why the tubes are there. Its to keep dumbasses from shooting all over the countryside(notice how the tubes are angled to the backstop),BUT,then look at all the trees,signs,and even the garbage can,they don't accomplish much,do they?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:52:56 AM EDT

I've heard about the new shooters solutions store\range (actually I thought it was just going to be a range and the store was going to stay put?) Either way, the dates keep changing on that project and I kind of wonder if it's ever going to happen? Their prices weren't too bad I guess (all things considered) but I hope they increase their selection.

I was in their shop the other day and Alex showed me the blueprints for the new place. The shop is upstairs along with a classroom for CCDW. Range downstairs with a total of 12 lanes; they are separated 6 and 6 by a concrete wall in the middle so that the pistol guys can be on one side if they are bothered by the noise the rifle guys are making.

The committees have always passed their request for the range. The holdup has been closing on the bank loan, I believe. Last I heard, that was done and they are supposed to break ground in about two weeks. Construction is supposed to be six weeks I believe--Open just in time for me to have a place to shoot my ARs over the winter.

Alex said their selection should increase once they begin getting more revenue boosted from the range. I have always thought that their prices were decent. Certainly less than Mark's, though more than the super low prices you see on internet websites. If Bud's gunshop in Paris were closer, I would shop there--their prices are very good. The only problem with the road trip to Bud's is that gas is expensive and my time is also worth something, so I usually find it just about the same to buy at the cheapest place that is local.

Drew
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:49:26 AM EDT
Hell,I used to live on Hand's Pike! Damn,that area has changed! No more Pleasure Isle? Wow!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:04:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
Heard a good reason why the tubes are there. Its to keep dumbasses from shooting all over the countryside(notice how the tubes are angled to the backstop),BUT,then look at all the trees,signs,and even the garbage can,they don't accomplish much,do they?

LOL- that was kind of my point, Have you looked at the barn? It's shot to hell. The scariest thing is, the next time you are there, look up at the tin roof. There is more then one bullet hole in it!

What's more scary - If those holes were done on purpose or if they were done by accident?

I was in their shop the other day and Alex showed me the blueprints for the new place. The shop is upstairs along with a classroom for CCDW. Range downstairs with a total of 12 lanes; they are separated 6 and 6 by a concrete wall in the middle so that the pistol guys can be on one side if they are bothered by the noise the rifle guys are making.

The committees have always passed their request for the range. The holdup has been closing on the bank loan, I believe. Last I heard, that was done and they are supposed to break ground in about two weeks. Construction is supposed to be six weeks I believe--Open just in time for me to have a place to shoot my ARs over the winter.

Alex said their selection should increase once they begin getting more revenue boosted from the range. I have always thought that their prices were decent. Certainly less than Mark's, though more than the super low prices you see on internet websites. If Bud's gunshop in Paris were closer, I would shop there--their prices are very good. The only problem with the road trip to Bud's is that gas is expensive and my time is also worth something, so I usually find it just about the same to buy at the cheapest place that is local.

Drew

Hey Drew,

Thanks for the additional info. Where exactly is it being built? (if I recall correctly some place in Independence?)

As far as prices go. I would be more then willing to pay a little more in order to support a local dealer for the "right now" aspect of buying locally + being able to check out my purchase fully before buying but that's why I say he needs a better inventory. I'll wait and see, sounds like it might turn out pretty nice if it goes as planned? I hope it does.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:25:15 PM EDT
Don't know the exact location. He told me where quickly and I am terrible with remembering street names, so it kind of went over my head. I'll ask again when it gets close to opening time so I can find it.

I agree, I hope his inventory does expand, as well. If his prices are good, inventory is good, he has a range, and I can shoot rifles there, it could really turn into a one stop shop for firearm stuff.

Regarding the extra bullet holes around the Crittenden range; I was just out there on Saturday. I found it quite comical--in a sarcastic sense--that they have a sign there on the gate that says "No Patterning of Shotguns". Of course, there is a nice 12" spread of buckshot right through the sign. It is the irresponsible shitbags that do stuff like that that will get even a so-so range like that one closed down.

Somebody needs to open a nice 300-500 yard outdoor range like Knob Creek around here...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:37:05 PM EDT

Somebody needs to open a nice 300-500 yard outdoor range like Knob Creek around here...

I hear ya. We almost got something like that. Dr. Tim Hamilton who was on the Boone Co. planning board was really pushing a plan to build a public range in Burlington, not too far from the Boone Co. Fairgrounds. From the sounds of things it was going to be a pretty nice facility. Unfortunately, he lost his last election bid and the idea died when he left his position.

I've pretty much given up on a decent outdoor range opening around here. In a couple of years I will buy some property and build my own private range. In the mean time, I may start making the drive out to the Miami club?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:41:30 PM EDT

In the mean time, I may start making the drive out to the Miami club?

Where is that? I think I've heard of it. How long is the drive? What is the facility like?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:55:43 PM EDT
Good luck getting a range built(other than your own),between LEX,LOU,and Cincy,is just about being turned into subdivisions/farms with ultra high $$$ homes on them. There is currently a farm for sale for 49mil,3100 acres,but they will subdivide. It's a shame about Lloyds,that shooting up the place is just a bunch of dumbasses,game warden lives in the house at the entrance,but he can't be everywhere at once.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:04:01 PM EDT
Umm. Matt.

Your hijacking my thread dude.

I appreciate the range info and watching you guys bicker among yourselves like old women at a bridge table but come on.

<­BR>

Just kidding.

Buzz
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:09:42 PM EDT

In the mean time, I may start making the drive out to the Miami club?

Where is that? I think I've heard of it. How long is the drive? What is the facility like?

Here's their web site...

Miami Rifle & Pistol Club

I can't tell you much more then what's on their web site as I've never been there. Looks decent and I've heard good things about it but haven't found the time to get out there. Unfortunately, you can't "pay as you go". You have to go on their Sunday sign-up and join for a year but the rate seems very reasonable after your first year dues.

Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
Good luck getting a range built(other than your own),between LEX,LOU,and Cincy,is just about being turned into subdivisions/farms with ultra high $$$ homes on them.

I hear you man! That's why when we are ready to buy some land, we will probably head out towards IN. From what I've seen, you can get a lot better deals out there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:58:10 PM EDT
cgv69, thanks for the link and info. I appreciate it.

Buzzstrike, sorry for hijacking the thread!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:21:02 PM EDT
I'm sorry Buzz!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 6:09:14 PM EDT by ShootnNut]
If ya dont mind a little drive to work, there is a lot of land and house's for sell here in Grant Co. I live here and work at the airport, after a while you dont pay much attention to the drive. I bought this house two years ago, its a two story with four bedrooms and two and a half baths with a full basement on two acres and a two car detacthed garage for $65,000. My Aunt just bought one down the road from me, three bedroom one and a half with full basement on a one acre lot for $82,000. Yea public ranges are few and far between around here, but theres enough good old country boys at that airport from around here, you can always find a place to shoot and hunt, (people like me!)

There is several places to buy guns around here though. You have the usall discount stores, Wally World and Dicks, you got Bass Pro across the river, if you dont mind the drive the lexington theres a bunch down there, like Centerfire Systems. And rumor has it Cabelas is coming to Florence! One of the best small shops around to deal with I have found is the Dry Ridge Army Store. And around here your not to far from Louisville, I never miss National Gun Day, one of the best gun shows around!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:26:34 PM EDT
Just got a job up there in Erlanger,58 miles one way. Grant County'e dry,remember that when buying beer(get that at the Richwood exit). WOW Cabela's COOL!!!!!!!!! Sorry again Buzz for the hijack!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:31:25 AM EDT
58 miles? WOW! I live in Williamstown, Ive got 32 miles. Yea Grant Co. is dry, but times are changing, With Corinth and Williamstown both voting in the sale of alcohol in resturants, Dry Ridge will be next, and I look for at least one of them go to store sales with in the next year or two.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:59:16 AM EDT
Hope so! We need Sunday package sales! Yeah,its 58 miles,thats gonna bite!(but I will have a high paying job though!)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:03:42 AM EDT
Ok, now when you say "dry" do you mean that they sell no beer/wine in the county or they do not sell hard liquor (ie JD, and vodka).

The wife and I are looking about a 30-40 min drive to work. So I guess a place 40 mins from the airport will be alright.

The wife is looking into some area hospitals. So, it kinda depends on her because some of those places want you to be at most 30 mins away in case of a emergency call in.

Thanks

Buzz.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:07:26 PM EDT
Until this year there was no alcohol sales in Grant Co. at all. Two of the cities here have voted in the sale of beer and wine in resturants, right now we only have one pizza place that sales it. But its going to spread, and its only about ten miles to the County line and the nearest carry outs and bars. But if you live here and work downtown you go right by several places on your way home. As for Hospitals, there is one here in the County, its St. Elizabeth Grant County. Its a small hospital but its part of a larger hospital which is located downtown.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:39:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 5:46:37 PM EDT by Duranda1]
There are also rural/large acreage areas in Indiana and Ohio as well. All of which can be as close as places in Northern, KY.

I live in Covington, which is urban and probably not the location type you are looking for, but there are great palces in the area that will probably catch your eye.

With that said I provide you the almighty link of Northern Kentucky realty.

http://nky.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Nokentucky&PRGNAME=MLSLogin&ARGUMENTS=-ANS,-AA

Seeing the diameter of your commute time you might like to check this. I have a couple friends that are nurses if you have any questions about hospitals and several of my family are teachers on both sides of the river is schools are an issue.

www.cincyareamls.com/cincymls/

AND...if you DO move, let me know when you are done. I have a private 200 yard rifle range, and tactical carbine/pistol range (across the river on the family farm a mere 15 minutes from the airport).

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:02:25 PM EDT

AND...if you DO move, let me know when you are done. I have a private 200 yard rifle range, and tactical carbine/pistol range (across the river on the family farm a mere 15 minutes from the airport).

SWEET.

If this does happen, the move and all I'll be in touch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:10:24 PM EDT
Buzz,you'll love Northern KY! CVG has some damned good people,even with all of Delta's troubles(can't believe how bad they are,what a damned shame!)as for alcohol,well,a stop to/from work at the Skyway will solve that!
Top Top