Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:57:14 AM EDT
So Uncle Sam is going to return some of the money I graciously loaned him over the year, and of course, a gun in order. Handgun of some variety, more than likely.

Anyone shop at Guns Galore? Do they have a good selection of new handguns? Decent prices?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:01:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Good selection and good prices. Not too pleasant or polite though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The last time I ever stepped foot in Guns Galore was during the primer shortage of '93.

Went in and asked the fat fart in they had any primers. He told me that they hadn't had any for a few weeks.  I then stated that since they didn't have any I guess I didn't have to buy the 4 lbs of powder and bullets either.  He then asked what kind of primers I was looking for and to hold on for a minute.  He woddled out and came back with 400 primers,powder and the bullets.  

As he started to wring it up I said that I thought that they didn't have any primers.  He said that he remembered that they came in yesterday.  I told him that I didn't want to buy his stuff as I felt that the only reason that he "found" the primers is because he stood to lose a $90- sale.  

I said no thanks to Guns Galore.  Haven't been back and never will.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they got pretty good prices too.

I agree they arent the most people friendly on the planet. Course, they are so busy I can see why they are uptight.

believe it or not, Gander mountian has a good selection and their prices on handguns are fair. You wont find any "evil" guns there though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I think most of the sales guys suffer from multiple personality disorder. One day you'll go in there and they are the nice and the next day you go in they could be the biggest bunch of pricks to walk the planet.  I think it all depends on how busy they are when you go in.
The only guy I'll talk to there is Mike, he's a good guy no matter what and will help you out. He's the little guy with the beard over in the black powder section.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If you talk to Mike be prepared to listen to him talk for an hour. He loves to talk!
Craig
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, a certain local shop has trained me well as far not expecting too much friendliness or service, so I should be fine.

I'll head up next week. I have a few pistols in mind, and I am interested in comparing prices from online 'wholesalers' (OO, Impact, others). Should be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on their sales guys being mean.  Granted I look like I am 12 years old and I dress like a liberal gun hater from Ann Arbor, but cut me some slack!!  I just want to bother you with questions about Eeevil black rifles!

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to work a half mile away from them.  They were such pricks that I never went back.  If they only knew how much more they would make if they did not treat you like you should be privledged to be let in the door.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#11]
good selection.  good prices.  i have never had a problem with anyone at GG.  my wife hates them though.  maybe it's the checks she's been sending them every month for the past 5 yrs
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Just went there today and bought a glock 35. They threw in a new A2 stock with the sale. This is the only place I buy guns other than customs. Maybee its because Ive bought a ton of stuff from them. Nobody in the area can compare to price and selection.

Rich
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I went there for the first time today. It was very busy, very crowded, and not a pleasant experience. All of the EBR's were just kinda thrown off to the side. You could hardly get through the isles without some one blocking you, and some one there really needed a shower! It probably wouldn't be bad on a weekday, but not on the Weekend. I'll stick with Williams in Davison. In fact I just put a deposit on a SPAS 12.

Kris
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I went there for the first time today. It was very busy, very crowded, and not a pleasant experience. All of the EBR's were just kinda thrown off to the side. You could hardly get through the isles without some one blocking you, and some one there really needed a shower! It probably wouldn't be bad on a weekday, but not on the Weekend. I'll stick with Williams in Davison. In fact I just put a deposit on a SPAS 12.

Kris

Was it new or used??
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#15]

good selection and good prices. Not too pleasant or polite though.

Sm
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kris

Was it new or used??

Used. They don't import them anymore. I don't think they make them either.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think most of the sales guys suffer from multiple personality disorder. One day you'll go in there and they are the nice and the next day you go in they could be the biggest bunch of pricks to walk the planet.  I think it all depends on how busy they are when you go in.
The only guy I'll talk to there is Mike, he's a good guy no matter what and will help you out. He's the little guy with the beard over in the black powder section.

HUGE +1
They blow hot & cold in there.  I've gone in and it's as friendly as can be.  I ask "is that the new P226 Blackwater" and the dude takes it out and lets me dry fire it.  He also let me dry fire several Sig DAK pistols.  That's cool to me.

Other times it's like pulling teeth with these dudes.  You can stand there with a dumb look on your face for 20 minutes before he looks up from his newspaper.

Granted they have a lot of rifles and shotguns.  But Gander Mountain up in Flint has an Uber selection of rifles too.  What killed GG for me was the $50 FFL fee they wanted for the SEBR transfer.   They don't take too kindly to doing transfers (as most places are) since they don't make much.  But being cool with a transfer makes me want to shop there for ammo and accessories.

They have JACK SHIT for AR related stuff.  I think they have an old Pachymr grip and that's it.  I've seen Colt AR's from time to time, and they always seem to have several Arsenal AK's.  They usually will have the latest and greatest hardware.  Sig Blackwater, every 1911 under the sun, XD and Glock variants, etc.  I wish they had CZ 45x series of rifles but oh well.

If it's for your AR the Equip. Exchange is the ONLY GAME IN TOWN.  Support those guys they are worth it.  God bless um all (the dealers).  Going the extra mile, taking PayPal, free shipping. , holiday specials, etc.

$0.02
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Best prices in SE Michigan for handguns---customer service is not the best.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#19]
you should check out Williams Gunsight in Davison. Always been friendly and prices are good too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I think that has been the general consensus for some time now. I kind of hate to go there because they are short with me, so most of the time I shop at michigun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 for Michigun. Great guys, good selection, but youll pay a bit more. Im a Gander Mtn. fan. Oh yea, Walmart (Wally World) too. Youll be surprised at how much they can order for you and at great prices. Dont think they do pistols though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I have purchased many firearms at Guns Galore. Always in stock and always best prices, but as mentioned by other readers they can be a little unfriendly at times. If you know what you want and want the best price they should be able to take care of you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I grew up in Fenton.  Bought nothing there,  EVER!  I've attempted to stop in once or twice over the years and have never received any sort of service.  On the other hand Gander Mountain will price match anybody within 60 miles.  And they'll bring in just about anything but the evil rifles.
It started at age 15,  walked in with mom to fill out paperwork for new shotgun.  Had a couple hundreds bucks burnin a hole in my pocket but couldn't get a anyone to even start the paperwork.  At age 21 I walked in permits hanging out of my pocket and a $4000 wad in my pocket hell bent to start a real collection.  Could'nt get them to talk to a kid.  Now I just won't do business with them.  I might add that 8 years later,  I spend more in any given month than most people spend in said year building my collection.  They've lost a life long gun nut.  I'd rather set my money on fire then give it to those fools.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Just got back from Guns Galore.

My impressions:

1) Friendly enough staff. Certainly friendlier than the staff at a certain local gun shop.

2) Great prices. A new HK USP 9mm followed me home for the same price I would have paid if I ordered from Ordnance Outsellers+FFL.

If I ever decide to grab a USPc or P2000, I'll probably go back there.

Man, they had a 'Thunder-5' .45-70 revolver, and a Thunder-5 .410 revolver. You don't know how tempting those were...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#25]
RANDY AT GUNS GALORE IS A PRICK,AND THERE OVER PRICED!!!!!!

TOPGUN AND FIRING LINE IS ALOT BETTER..
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
RANDY AT GUNS GALORE IS A PRICK,AND THERE OVER PRICED!!!!!!

TOPGUN AND FIRING LINE IS ALOT BETTER..

Dunno who Randy is, but they sure as hell were not overpriced.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#27]
The most unfriendliest place I've ever been in.  Try to ask someone a question and they try to make you look stupid.  I asked a guy if I could handle a certain handgun.  He got it out and laid it on the counter without saying a word.  I asked him if they sold many of them, and he replied, "a few".  Never tried to tell me the features and benefits of the gun.  If I had a salesperson with an attitude like that, he's be history.
And the owner is a first class jerk.  He has a major attitude.  I will never go back.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I was there once a few years back. I guess I looked to young or to modestly dressed(jeans&tshirt) because when I had questions about a somewhat expensive rifle, the guy said "you think you can afford it?". At the time I was making 50k a year, single with no kids.

I left, and got the same rifle at a Gibraltar show for a bit less with more appreciative service.

Nowadays, if i deal with a gun shop, it's top gun, everything else I get off the internet and EE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top