Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 3:49:26 PM EDT
I heard the news this morning about the tornadoes near Stoughton/Madison and was thinking of my fellow ARFCOM brothers up in Cheesehead land Wisconsin and wondered if they are okay!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard 15 houses were destroyed, 1 death and 4 ppl in hospitals.  They said definately a category 4 and possibly a category 5 (that was of about 7AM this morning).

I also heard it didn't make as much news but a good sized tornado ripped through the Iola area.

Reports also said that there was debris coming out of the air in the suburbs of Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, but are there any ARFCOMMERS near Stoughton? And are they okay?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yes there are ARFcommers in the stoughtion area. Not sure about how they are doing I think this is the first thread on it all day, but I haven't been around much today, so there might have been another one.

I heard about this on CNN. Didn't hear shit on the radio about it at all today. My grandma lives on Lake Kegonsa which is right by Stoughton. My parents are out there with my cousins visiting. They went to the movies lastnight and missed one of the intersections that that thing went ripping though by about 15min. Didn't ask my dad which one though. He said the cinima staff came in and told everyone to go to the basment of the cinima. I guess the country club got hit pretty bad. When I talked to my dad they were out on the boat riding around the lake checking out the damage. When they get home I'll get some pics from my mom and post them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there are ARFcommers in the stoughtion area. Not sure about how they are doing I think this is the first thread on it all day, but I haven't been around much today, so there might have been another one.

I heard about this on CNN. Didn't hear shit on the radio about it at all today. My grandma lives on Lake Kegonsa which is right by Stoughton. My parents are out there with my cousins visiting. They went to the movies lastnight and missed one of the intersections that that thing went ripping though by about 15min. Didn't ask my dad which one though. He said the cinima staff came in and told everyone to go to the basment of the cinima. I guess the country club got hit pretty bad. When I talked to my dad they were out on the boat riding around the lake checking out the damage. When they get home I'll get some pics from my mom and post them.

I just hope that the ARFCOmmers in Stoughton are allright.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Just saw on the weather channel that there were 28 tornadoes in WI from this storm front that is coming through.  All together there have been 32 tornadoes from it, but 28 in WI alone.

Stoughton lost (totalled) 15 houses but some 90+ were hit.

Hopefully some closse to the area will post soon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
My uncle lives in stoughton.

The funnel clouds were a few blocks away from his house he told me, but his place was undamaged.

Pretty creepy.

Cehck out this site for some pictures and cool video of the tornado

http://www.channel3000.com/news/4874387/detail.html

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Tommytrauma has a thread going in the SF about it too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My folks were right in the thick of it.  They are ok tho.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My folks were right in the thick of it.  They are ok tho.

Thats good to hear.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I work in Evansville (about 15 miles from there). Sirens went off (according to the workers on teh side of the plant where its quiet) and no one in management thought about sounding the plants tornado siren. I guess production was more important than workers safety.

I just saw an ariel shot of the area in Stoughton and all I can say is WOW>
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I did see the SF link.  Glad those who have reported(so far) are okay!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#13]
my uncle was telling me that most of the houses that got smashed were 500,000+ homes.

He said one guy was an art collector and people found a picasso painting in a glass case undamaged in a field nearby.

pretty interesting.

The cops have apparently blocked off the area of the damaged homes keeping out anyone but homeowners and repair crews.

He talked to one guy (the father of a friend of his daughter) who's house got demolishd.

The guy and his daughter hid in the basement under something and the house collapsed around them. They dug themselves out and there was nothing above them. Just the four concrete basement walls, rubble and clear sky showing through the floor beams. They said there was a washing machien with a bottle of tide sitting on top of it undisturbed in the basement. That would have been pretty fucking cool to live through, even though losing the house would suck.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the marketing managers I work with lost his home at the country club.  Him and his wife were watching the storm, and when it got bad, his wife said "I really think we should go in the basement".  The tornado hit just as they got to the bottom of the stairs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in Brooklyn..  I was mowing my grass when the sirens went off.  The F4 passed roughly 2 miles North-East of my house and into Stoughton.  We got by without any damage at all.

Last year the tornado that passed through Madison was directly in front of my apartment.  I have some really cool pics of the funnel cloud right before it hit the ground.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey I'm a Stoughton ARFCOMMER . We had a F3 plow down a bunch of houses I got to see JBTS and there SUV Armored vehicles blocking several roads (Check point/ Road block).    North of the city was hit hard the weirdest thing I saw was a House Right next to the road sitting in a farm field. I still have not got to see all of the damage do to the road blocks.

Hey we all need to have a fall shoot at Yellow stone Range. I have the urge to kill some targets

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey I'm a Stoughton ARFCOMMER . We had a F3 plow down a bunch of houses I got to see JBTS and there SUV Armored vehicles blocking several roads (Check point/ Road block).    North of the city was hit hard the weirdest thing I saw was a House Right next to the road sitting in a farm field. I still have not got to see all of the damage do to the road blocks.

Hey we all need to have a fall shoot at Yellow stone Range. I have the urge to kill some targets

Can you still come into town by coming off of 94 from milwaukee onto N and then turning down that road that goes past the high school, or are there road blocks in that area?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#18]
We had six touchdowns all around our place...very strange...they came out of a blue sky
without warning...no sirens...took everybody by complete surprise..

My Bro in Law lives near Stoughton as does my wife's best friend...many of our relatives
live and work in the area

One woman was standing in her doorway...when the tornado hit...took her entire house away leaving
only the door posts she was standing between..she was unhurt..

The poor guy that was killed actually made it to his basement...where his chimney collapsed and fell on him

My bro in laws church was the only building left standing on the block..it was intact with no damage

Near us...I just surveying damage yesterday...a park a campground and the little burb of Orion was hit
hard...huge trees had their tops torn off..only one house had slight roof damage from an oak tree that fell
next to the house...and one limb crashed through the roof on the corner of house.

The most amazing thing I saw ..was a yard...that had dog kennel ..cement slab wife fencing and an ingloo
dog house...had a German Shepherd in the pen...the tornado went right over the kennel and took the tops off
four of five 40 ft tall white pines...there were about 5 ft in diameter...and left the dog and kennel untouched

There was damage in Muscoda, Orion,Richland Center,Spring Green and Lone Rock..all (thank you Lord)
missed us...and no people or homes were badly damaged here..crops and trees mostly..

The tornado in Muscoda...stop three feet short of the nursing home on the north side...
jumped the home hit the park and campgrounds...tore up more trees...did not harm any campers
went across the WI river...sucked up large amounts of crap...then dumped it on Orion and tore up
a hundred acres or so of large trees...

It was headed torwards us and simply dissapeared right before it got here..

We also went up to Baraboo to Menards on Sunday and saw damage path just south of the old Badger Ammo
Plant...tornado went right across hwy 12 ..just as you get into the big S curve if you are coming from Sauk City

Anyway thats my damage report..

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]
hrought
Most of the trashed homes were off in the distance.  Stoughton itself only featured a burned out church (way burned out) which wasn't related to the tornado.  My sister in Dunkirk (touches south Stoughton) didn't suffer any damage.

Last year a tornado touched down 1/4 mile from our house and then disappeared without damaging anything.  Middleton got trashed the same night.  

Windsor (Deforest) where I live managed to slip between most of the bad weather.  It went south or north.  My sister called me to check if I was ok after following the tornado on her way home from work.  She got to see the damage just after it occured.  Missed her husbands work (auto dealership) by about a mile.

Tony
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#20]
My co-worker is still looking for an 18 foot Sea Ray....the trailer has been found, but the boat is just gone along with the house.  His two vehicles were trashed.

Someone in Franklin (south Milwaukee) found his son's Savings Bond that was in his dresser........
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I got to see JBTS and there SUV Armored vehicles blocking several roads (Check point/ Road block).

Maybe I'm feeling thin-skinned, but I hate to see an intrusion of Group Discussion juvenile stupidity into the Hometown Forum.

They're Jack-Booted Thugs, even when they're trying to prevent the looting of the houses that were destroyed, even when they're busy helping people and not able to help their own family or loved ones, or check on their own homes?  They're driving armored vehicles?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got to see JBTS and there SUV Armored vehicles blocking several roads (Check point/ Road block).

Maybe I'm feeling thin-skinned, but I hate to see an intrusion of Group Discussion juvenile stupidity into the Hometown Forum.

They're Jack-Booted Thugs, even when they're trying to prevent the looting of the houses that were destroyed, even when they're busy helping people and not able to help their own family or loved ones, or check on their own homes?  They're driving armored vehicles?

I missed something. Who is JBTS???? Armored vehicles??? I am not being an ass I just don't know what is being talked about here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I missed something. Who is JBTS???? Armored vehicles??? I am not being an ass I just don't know what is being talked about here.

Jack Booted ThugS

IE: TommyTrauma when he went out to help with the destruction and got sent to do a roadblock with no flares.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jack Booted ThugS

IE: TommyTrauma when he went out to help with the destruction and got sent to do a roadblock with no flares.

Is he reffering to the police??
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes.  It's a common slang term in general discussion, where it varies between a joke and rebellious posing.  But to apply it in this situation, or even in a hometown forum, shows a complete lack of class, IMHO.

edited to add that I'm through with this, sorry to hijack the thread.  Please resume the eyewitness accounts and interesting stories of where stuff landed

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Can you still come into town by coming off of 94 from milwaukee onto N and then turning down that road that goes past the high school, or are there road blocks in that area?

Most of the roads are now open There are several streets still blocked off of county B. The route you speak of is now open.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yes.  It's a common slang term in general discussion, where it varies between a joke and rebellious posing.  But to apply it in this situation, or even in a hometown forum, shows a complete lack of class, IMHO.

edited to add that I'm through with this, sorry to hijack the thread.  Please resume the eyewitness accounts and interesting stories of where stuff landed

BS Militarizing American police departments Thats class My a$$. There is a differance between a JBT and a Police officer.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
... Armored vehicles??? I am not being an ass I just don't know what is being talked about here.

Apparently, the Dane County Sheriff's office does have armored vehicles, according to this news article - www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2005/08/26/news/00lead.txt

Lenco Armored Cars
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... Armored vehicles??? I am not being an ass I just don't know what is being talked about here.

www.lacrossetribune.com/content/articles/2005/08/26/news/00lead.jpg

Apparently, the Dane County Sheriff's office does have armored vehicles, according to this news article - www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2005/08/26/news/00lead.txt

Lenco Armored Cars

Ok, so they have them. So what?

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#30]
So there was an article in the paper this weekend that had a picture of them, that's what.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So there was an article in the paper this weekend that had a picture of them, that's what.

I thought you were trying to make some sort of connection about police not needing to have such a vehicle. Sorry, I misunderstood it.

I can appreciate your post and effort for locating the information. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#32]
No problem. It's kind of funny, I never heard about the trucks until I read about them here last week, and then a couple days later there was an article in the papers about them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:48:02 AM EDT
[#33]
ROB877 GROW UP!!!!!  This guy obviously has a problem with authority!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Your point is??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top