Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 11:39:08 AM EDT

Well?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
hey - i'm here, lurking about.  Being new, I have avoided posting out of turn.  I live in Huntsville -  where are you located?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Birmingham (area).  How long you been there in Huntsville?  I've got two relatives that used to work up there (aeronautics), and two that live in Decatur now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Except for a 5 year period in the 80's (wanderlust) I have lived here my whole 41 years. I lived in B'ham during  the aforementioned time as well ( Hoover).

Knowing someone in aeronautics in Hunstville is like pointing to your grandma in the retirement home... (she's right over there - cane, greay hair..)  - j/k
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Usually once a day. Lurk alot say just a little.  Always enjoy the visit!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I check in every day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I check every time I am on. Just not much goin in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I check every time I am on. Just not much goin in.

Me too.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#8]
-mbuc momentarily emerges from the shadows of cyberspace, then quickly disappears once again into the darkness-

Knowing someone in aeronautics in Hunstville is like pointing to your grandma in the retirement home... (she's right over there - cane, gray hair..) - j/k

You got that right. If all the geeks engineers left town overnight, the Huntsville metro area would be one big ghost town. . .
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
-mbuc momentarily emerges from the shadows of cyberspace, then quickly disappears once again into the darkness-

Knowing someone in aeronautics in Hunstville is like pointing to your grandma in the retirement home... (she's right over there - cane, gray hair..) - j/k

You got that right. hegeeks engineers left town overnight, the Huntsville metro area would be one big ghost town. . .

If I hear one more lame joke about a "room full of rocket scientists..." I think I will puke...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm here, live about 20 minutes south of Huntsville,  between work, school, coyote hunting, and second job just don't have a lot of time to play as much as I'd like.  Most likely will go shooting Sunday though.

rk
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm here, live about 20 minutes south of Huntsville,  between work, school, coyote hunting, and second job just don't have a lot of time to play as much as I'd like.  Most likely will go shooting Sunday though.

rk

Awesome, I'm probably going tomorrow.  (Saturday) Will be shooting paper targets though.  I want to come shoot coyotes.

p.s. if any of you are in the Mt. Olive area tomorrow (early) you're welcome to join me
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#14]
K, headed out.  Will be at the range probably 10 - 12.  

After range report:

Not too bad.  The errant shots are shooter related
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I"m here.  Just make sure ya'll come to the shoot at the FOP on Sat the 23rd (oct)

Meet some of the people in the forum and then you're more likely to check the hometown forum more often!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Present.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If I hear one more lame joke about a "room full of rocket scientists..." I think I will puke...

I'm glad the rocket scientists live and work here. If they didn't, Huntsville would be just another declining cotton farming town instead of the modern, wealthy metro area that it is now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I normally check this section on a daily basis, but my phone had been out since the hurricane. They finally got it fixed yesterday evening.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
BeetleBailey
Is that the upper you got from me?
My boy has put about 200 rounds on the SP1 upper.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
BeetleBailey
Is that the upper you got from me?
My boy has put about 200 rounds on the SP1 upper.

Yep, that's the one, works like a charm.  Awesome about the SP1, I take it he liked it(?).
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#21]
YUP, daily
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
10/4
I check in about 2-3 times per week. I'm an anti-social prick, so I don't say much but I enjoy visiting.....

GhostCat
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Late, as usual, but I'm here too!

I intend to check here every time I visit Arfcom, but you know what they say about intentions...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#24]
mbuc - Just my lame attempt at humor - I agree with you 100% and I really can't think of anywhere else in the state I would rather live.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep,
I check in at least once a day.
Dave
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
mbuc - Just my lame attempt at humor - I agree with you 100% and I really can't think of anywhere else in the state I would rather live.

Humor taken as intended. There are an awful lot of geeks around here, but it sure helps the local economy. . .
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm in total agreement with living in this area, in fifteen minutes I can either be hunting coyotes, deer, in the back waters in a canoe or kayak, target shooting, or on the river in a fishing boat. A couple of friends and I have four canoes and five kayaks between us, I'll be happy to take out up to ten folks on an excursion in the backwaters or around Guntersville sometimes, I'm going up to Tenn for a three day camping trip on the Elk river next week.  There are some beautiful areas aorund here if you have the means to get in them. Also the Sipsey wilderness area is a great plcve for backpacking.

rk
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm in total agreement with living in this area, in fifteen minutes I can either be hunting coyotes, deer, in the back waters in a canoe or kayak, target shooting, or on the river in a fishing boat. A couple of friends and I have four canoes and five kayaks between us, I'll be happy to take out up to ten folks on an excursion in the backwaters or around Guntersville sometimes, I'm going up to Tenn for a three day camping trip on the Elk river next week.  There are some beautiful areas aorund here if you have the means to get in them. Also the Sipsey wilderness area is a great plcve for backpacking.

rk

Do I hear - SURVIVAL WEEKEND!!!?

Paging LWC
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#29]
new to forum and have found alot of information... :)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
new to forum and have found alot of information... :)

now find your way to the FOP shoot!!

mike

+1

And bring lots o' ammo
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I am fairly new as well.  I just had some medical problems today though so I don't know if I can come...not that I have been invited...but I may have had a mild stroke or something.  Gonna see a nuerologist in the morning.  I still feel weird but all of my motor skills are there and as I finally got home from the hospital I finally got my dissy upper back from bushmaster repair.  I was a little bit shaky and had a screaming headache but I'd lay dollars to dead bodies that charlie don't want none even in my lesser state.  Odd thing is I am only 33 years old

You guys say a prayer for me, those that say prayers,
Thanks,
Wes
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I am fairly new as well.  I just had some medical problems today though so I don't know if I can come...not that I have been invited...but I may have had a mild stroke or something.  Gonna see a nuerologist in the morning.  I still feel weird but all of my motor skills are there and as I finally got home from the hospital I finally got my dissy upper back from bushmaster repair.  I was a little bit shaky and had a screaming headache but I'd lay dollars to dead bodies that charlie don't want none even in my lesser state.  Odd thing is I am only 33 years old

You guys say a prayer for me, those that say prayers,
Thanks,
Wes

Dude, i hope you are ok... I'll say a prayer for you.  Anyway, you shoulhd really try to make it to the shoot. It will be a great time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Evening, just got back. We stayed three days and two nights on the Elk river, put in at Tim's Ford Dam and went to Shiloh Bridge. My two buddies caught about 25 rainbow trout, since I don't care much for fishing and they live for it they were each in a kayak so they could maneuver to fish and I was in a 15'Old Town canoe with about 300lbs of gear.  Table, chairs, cots, tents, beer, Jack Daniel, water, food, lantern, fishing tackle, stove, guns, you name it, we brought it. I'd float down ahead, find a shady spot, kick back and read. They would catch up, I'd gather up the trout, then float on down again. Lunch time I pulled off on an island, unloaded, set up table and chairs, put beer in cold water, fixed lunch, read, then they showed up, had a nice lunch, then repacked, cleaned up and moved on. Evening found me on a nice campground in a field, I heard dogs barking so I walked about 20 minutes to nearest farmhouse and asked permission to camp, was granted, his name was Bill King, really nice dude. I unloaded, set up, cleaned the ten or so trout, rolled them in cornmeal and started frying them. My buddies showed up, finished setting up camp, firewood, ect, had fresh trout and thick slices of German bread (my wife owns a bakery), ate real well, cleaned up, built a fire, drank a whole lot of JD, listened to Johnny Horton (I love Whispering Pines), drank more JD, sang a lot of Johnny Horton, listened to the greatest cowboy movie theme songs, then carefully and unsteadily went to bed. Did same thing next day andd night.  Saw deer, river otters, nine wild turkeys, groundhogs, weasels, hawks, owls, and one snake. Absolutely stunningly beautiful area.

rk
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Evening, just got back. We stayed three days and two nights on the Elk river, put in at Tim's Ford Dam and went to Shiloh Bridge. . .Absolutely stunningly beautiful area.

rk

Sounds like a great trip. My engraved invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#37]
All anyone has to do is ask.  Will most likely do it again in November.

rk
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

rk

20 minutes south of Huntsville sounds a lot like Arab!!! Am I right?? Used to live up in that area. Brewer HS Class of 95
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Evening, just got back. We stayed three days and two nights on the Elk river, put in at Tim's Ford Dam and went to Shiloh Bridge. My two buddies caught about 25 rainbow trout, since I don't care much for fishing and they live for it they were each in a kayak so they could maneuver to fish and I was in a 15'Old Town canoe with about 300lbs of gear.  Table, chairs, cots, tents, beer, Jack Daniel, water, food, lantern, fishing tackle, stove, guns, you name it, we brought it. I'd float down ahead, find a shady spot, kick back and read. They would catch up, I'd gather up the trout, then float on down again. Lunch time I pulled off on an island, unloaded, set up table and chairs, put beer in cold water, fixed lunch, read, then they showed up, had a nice lunch, then repacked, cleaned up and moved on. Evening found me on a nice campground in a field, I heard dogs barking so I walked about 20 minutes to nearest farmhouse and asked permission to camp, was granted, his name was Bill King, really nice dude. I unloaded, set up, cleaned the ten or so trout, rolled them in cornmeal and started frying them. My buddies showed up, finished setting up camp, firewood, ect, had fresh trout and thick slices of German bread (my wife owns a bakery), ate real well, cleaned up, built a fire, drank a whole lot of JD, listened to Johnny Horton (I love Whispering Pines), drank more JD, sang a lot of Johnny Horton, listened to the greatest cowboy movie theme songs, then carefully and unsteadily went to bed. Did same thing next day andd night.  Saw deer, river otters, nine wild turkeys, groundhogs, weasels, hawks, owls, and one snake. Absolutely stunningly beautiful area.

rk

After reading that your wife owns a bakery, I would venture to say that you live in the Union Hill area right? There is a very nice German bakery there. Great food.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#40]
A German Bakery in Union Hill?  You're talking just south of H'ville on 231,,,correct?

Rick
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Right on, wife has a German restaurant/bakery at Union Hill, used to be on 231 a few years ago. She built a new one close to home. Its located 1/4 mile south of Union Hill on Apple Grove Rd. My son Mike graduated from BHS in 96. I missed a coyote this morning, 175yd moving shot in the tall grass, he came in real quick on a rabbit call,  tried to get him in closer but he turned so I let go on him. I hate it when I do that.  I'll get his ass next time though.

rk
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Small world ain't it!!! You go down off the backside of the mountain to get coyotes??
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Sure do. Hunt them in Newsome Sinks, Lamons Cove, and Union Grove. Not exactly a shortage on them around here. Not easy to get though.
rk
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#44]
How does one get to 'the shoot'?

Thanks,
Wes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top