Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 3:23:26 AM EDT
Any interest in having an AR build party?

Send me your name and I will try to get this going.

What would be needed tools and equipment wise?

So far

Cityrepo61  I am at LIE exit 68
MAG162
bear3351
MAP
TangoHater

Thanks
Steve 'Cityrepo61'

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Cityrepo61, did you get my im or email?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
what do we do at a build party?  Will there be live BOTD's!!!!????
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:30:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Count me in. I've got some parts that need attention!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#4]
location?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Location is still up for discussion.

I live in mid suffolk but I would be willing to travel.

Any suggestions on location?

Steve
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I am in, there is always something to learn.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Ahh,...not to be picky but their will be someone there who knows wtf they're doing?
And has the proper tools? Including a vise and the vise-blocks that hold the recievers?
Okay so I'm picky, after all I can bend roll-pins in the privacy of my own home with the best of them and I
don't have to burn any gas to do it.

Lloyd
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Will there be any free beer and pizza?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Tagged for later    
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd be willing to participate. I'll also offer to host a build party if anyone is interested in traveling to Morris County NJ.

I do have the tools, blocks and a big vice.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
For the guys that are interested please let me know if you would be willing to host.

Let me know what tools you have.

I have on order an upper action vise with the internal receiver part , both types of car wrenches,
armorers wrench. They should be received this week.  

Also what weekend / evening would be good.

Has anyone does this before and would like to take lead for the build.

Thanks
Steve 'cityrepo61'
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn.  I guess I better buy some parts so I have something to put together....back to the EE.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ahh,...not to be picky but their will be someone there who knows wtf they're doing?
And has the proper tools? Including a vise and the vise-blocks that hold the recievers?
Okay so I'm picky, after all I can bend roll-pins in the privacy of my own home with the best of them and I
don't have to burn any gas to do it.

Lloyd

Lloyd, even we experienced guys with the proper tools and knowledge have had our @#&%$*&#*%@$ moments.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to criticize the idea, we talked about it a bit at the BBQ shoot,
it just doesn't make much sense to throw 10 or 15 'monkeys' in one room with a bunch of parts
and expect that they will walk out of there with complete rifles after a few hours. Unless at least
one guy knows what he's doing and can teach the others. I was reading the book, " The AR-15
Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee (AR-15 Guide, Vol. 2), and it seems
pretty straight forward but nescessary to have all the correct tools,  which I don't have. Nor do I
think that just because I read the book that I can lead a bunch of guys. I think I could do the
assembly myself with the proper tools but it might take me a couple of days. One thing I've
found is you never work on small parts if you're tired or frustrated with the work. We are talking
about 50,000 psi just in front of your one and only set of God given eyes right?
I have put in a Jewell trigger myself and I let it take me an hour plus, just because I got up and
walked away from it when I was getting pissed off at it. I've seen guys who really know this rifle
do it in six or eight minutes, between relays, at a highpower match. I'll come to the build party,
if only just to watch if I don't have the parts yet for the spare receiver I bought in the group buy.

Lloyd
P.S. >>The reason I am to broke to buy a lower parts kit just now;
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=231863

Hey did you fix your truck yet? We missed your 1/2 inch artillery at the BBQ.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to criticize the idea, we talked about it a bit at the BBQ shoot,
it just doesn't make much sense to throw 10 or 15 'monkeys' in one room with a bunch of parts
and expect that they will walk out of there with complete rifles after a few hours. Unless at least
one guy knows what he's doing and can teach the others. I was reading the book, " The AR-15
Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee (AR-15 Guide, Vol. 2), and it seems
pretty straight forward but nescessary to have all the correct tools,  which I don't have. Nor do I
think that just because I read the book that I can lead a bunch of guys. I think I could do the
assembly myself with the proper tools but it might take me a couple of days. One thing I've
found is you never work on small parts if you're tired or frustrated with the work. We are talking
about 50,000 psi just in front of your one and only set of God given eyes right?

That is exactly what I meant by those @#&%$*&#*%@$ moments, especially with the eyes not being as good in my younger days.  I have a little more patience but stubborn determination (not knowing when to stop and walk away) is my achilles heel.

I have put in a Jewell trigger myself and I let it take me an hour plus, just because I got up and
walked away from it when I was getting pissed off at it. I've seen guys who really know this rifle
do it in six or eight minutes, between relays, at a highpower match. I'll come to the build party,
if only just to watch if I don't have the parts yet for the spare receiver I bought in the group buy.

Lloyd
P.S. >>The reason I am to broke to buy a lower parts kit just now;
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=231863

Hey did you fix your truck yet? We missed your 1/2 inch artillery at the BBQ.

I missed shooting it too!  I had a 150rds of .50BMG ready to bring with me.  I was also going to bring my .458 SOCOM to compare it with Helldog's Beowolf.  I spent a couple of days getting the rifles and ammo ready so it was a real letdown.  My truck was in the shop having the brakes replaced.  Even if it was available, it would not be a wise choice because it has commercial plates and it would take me 4.5 instead of 2.5 hours to get there.  It was my van that developed trouble on Friday night while I was stuck in an hour backup in town due to an accident.  I originally thought that it might be the front bearings but it is the transmission.

BTW, that is a really nice upper!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top