Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/29/2003 3:56:46 AM EDT
Just testing the waters, are any of you guys interested in attending a rifle/carbine class geared towards the AK style rifles? It would be a one or two day format and most likely be at the South River gun club facility. I know most of you guys don't know me, but as soon as the IPSC Nationals are over(3 weeks), I'll be able to come to one of the CE shoots and get acquainted. Delta423 might be nice and vouch for me?

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:57:30 AM EDT
Hey that would be cool, how much are we looking at ???
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:01:08 AM EDT
Hey Eric that sounds like a great idea. It would all hinge on price though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:39:18 AM EDT
Delta, you cheap bastard.

I guess this means I need to buy an AK. Heck, I've been meaning to get one anyway.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:40:30 AM EDT
Ive been meaning to take an AR class but need some optics first. Dont wanna try it with iron sites.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:45:44 AM EDT
Price and ammo requirements would be based on whether it's a one or two day format, and an idea of how many people are interested. Obviously, the more I get, the cheaper it would be. South River has a nice facility, but its not free and they don't provide any of the ancillary equipment other than target stands. Don't hold me to it, but I'm estimating $100 for one day and $200 for a two day. It would most likely be scheduled for sometime after the new year, like Jan. or Feb., maybe early december (first week), but that would depend on how you guys felt about it being so close to Christmas and the Holidays. People are buying gifts and taking trips, etc.. and extra money for this stuff is kinda tight this time of the year. This nice thing is, since this is the first class, I could solicit your interests and taylor the class around it. There would be the basic's, but I could adapt the class to special techniques you guys want to see. Let me know what you think.

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:44:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:
Delta, you cheap bastard.

Well not everyone can afford to let 500 dollars go fluttering away in some parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:57:44 AM EDT
I’m serious about taking another training class.

I took a CQB class in April and it taught me a lot. Taking a class also forced me to purchase some gear I really needed, but always found an excuse to put off buying it. Scheduling a class several months in advance gives people enough time to buy what they need and pay for the class/gear in smaller increments over time.

Topics of interest to me are as follows:

Shooting while moving
Engaging multiple targets
Using cover and concealment while engaging targets
Tactical reloads
Shooting from the weak hand/side
Transition from primary weapon (rifle) to secondary weapon (pistol)
Working as a team (could be a pair, could be multiple people)
Clearing jams

Taking a class will also help you identify the strengths and weaknesses of your gear/equipment. Guys think they have the perfect tactical setup, until they actually try using it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:58:42 AM EDT
Delta, that hurt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:30:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:
Delta, that hurt.

Which hurt? DeltaAir423's remark or the fluttering away of 500 bucks?

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:13:02 AM EDT
Bookhound,
While all of those requests are relevant and achievable, you can see how quickly the amount of material would push it to a two day class. Pistol transitions would require making sure everyone has slings for their primary rifle. A bit more involved considering the AK series, but not impossible.

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:35:43 AM EDT
I wasn’t suggesting the class concentrate on all of those topics. Any class concentrating on any of those is of interest to me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:58:55 AM EDT
You mean a sling like this?

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:16:46 PM EDT
What kind of sling is that, Bradd? I'm totally up for buying an AK and whatever gear I need for a class.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:21:28 PM EDT
That would be a CQB Solutions SOP sling. I didn't melt the buckle this time either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:44:34 AM EDT
VSP, howabout a rundown of your credentials?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:43:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2003 6:45:29 PM EDT by P806]
Guys, I just couldn't do it! At the last gun show I attended, SAR1's were $310. I had my cash in my hand..approached the SAR1, picked it up...cycled it a few times and the little devil setting on my shoulder said..."NO don't buy this thing! You love AR's and FAL's" and I just walked away...bought beany babies for my girls tho, some high priced super glue too.

So no AK class for me.
Do I suffer from anti-klashnikov syndrom?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:52:23 PM EDT
I was anti-AK for a while. Thought they were ugly and useless and my ar would be so superior to anything. Then I read up on the 5.45 vs 5.56. Not much different, plus the AK is WAY WAY WAY cheaper to customize. I mean 150 for a red dot compared to 450 minimum on an ar. Ammo is cheaper, runs on sand and dirt, cheap to start shooting. And the look starts to grow on you. Just my .02 tho.

Nismofun

Oh yeah, I now spend more time on the AK forums than I ever did in the ar ones.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:33:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2003 10:35:23 AM EDT by VSP]
DvlDog,
You inquired about my credentials? Certainly, a fair question. Here are the highlights, if you want more specifics or details, email me and I'll send it to you. I don't want to tie up the forum with my complete life history.

Virginia State Police- 9 years
-Firearms Instructor- Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun
-Tactical Team qualified weapons- Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Sub-machine Gun, Counter-sniper
-Defensive Tactics/Use of Force Instructor
-Martial Arts- Kito-Ryu Juijitsu
-Various stick/knife fighting experience

NRA Instructor
-Personal protection classes through the NRA's, Senior Firearms Instructor(SFI) program @ the NRA HQ in Faifax, Va.
-Developed and Instructed Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced Pistol classes
-Developed and Instructed Beginner & Advanced Rifle/Carbine classes

Active Competition- 9 years
-IPSC- Master class- Open, Limited, Production, 3-Gun
-IDPA- Master class- Stock service, Enhanced Pistol Divisions (Although I no longer compete since moving to Ga.)
-Develope and Instruct Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced IPSC classes (Including private instruction)

That is it in a nutshell. I recently held a 3 gun class at South River that forum member Rossi attended. I think if you look back a bit, you'll find his comments. I also met Delta423 at the Area 6 3-Gun championship and he can verify my competition level. I am a semi-sponsored shooter and I shoot for TTI. It's a gunsmithing/manufacturing shop out of Glen Allen, Virginia. You can check out the website and see me on the shooting team. Also, check out the shooting tips section. I have written some tips to help new shooters out. You might find some of it interesting(www.tti-intl.com) I have references for all of the information listed above. I have entered several competitions using my AK for the rifle part of 3 gun and have a strong sense of its strengths and weaknesses. I thought an AK rifle class might be interesting. You'll also notice I don't have any direct Military experience, but we did train with 2 SEAL teams and 2 Special Boat Units (SBU) on occasion in Virginia, so I do have some exposure to Military tactics and doctrine.

DvlDog, thanks for the opportunity to expound. If you have any other questions, let me know.

VSP

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:45:56 AM EDT
I'm sold. Now I just need to buy an AK.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:59:34 PM EDT
thanks for the candid reply VSP, i might be interested in a class. ive been to most of the shooting schools available to 03 and Security Force Marines but i find that training with civilain competitors make me a better competitor. i shy away from Police style tactical training. in some cases it contradicts my Marine training and experience. now this is only what ive noticed when on uncle-sam funded trips to Gunsite and i could be wrong but im open minded and have found that there are things to learn from shooters of all backgrounds. depending on the date im interested
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:59:04 AM EDT
DvlDog,
Thanks, I try to not get too much into tactics in my instruction. Tactics really depends on several factors, knowledge, skills, abilities, equipment, etc.. There are many correct tactical solutions to a given problem and far too many variables to say this is the way to do "X". I prefer to help the student identify the underlying principals of shooting and then allow them the freedom to apply those pricipals, through various techniques, to solve whatever problem they face. I'll keep you guys informed as to potential class dates.

VSP
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:20:59 AM EDT
great answer VSP, i find that some times police type training is more applicable in my new civilian life. im interested in an AK day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:17:08 PM EDT
Assuming that VSP is the same Eric that is a member of Cherokee Gun Club then I can vouch for his shooting skills. He is knowledgeable about the competition and police applications of various weapon systems. Further with his straightforward, non-condescending manor I believe that he has the ability to educate both the novice and intermittently skilled shooter.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:40:24 AM EDT
Went to the storage unit and asked my 6 AKs (including the Galil and Valmet) if I should take a class. They shouted out in unison "After 26 years of AK ownership and use? Hell, you've only got 4 ARs so we still rule the roost"

Think I'll pass
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:14:20 AM EDT
does that mean i can use your galil for the range day
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:27:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DvlDog:
does that mean i can use your galil for the range day

My Israeli wife says only if you're married to an Israeli also, so they can swap stories from home (which will be mostly BS anyway)
Top Top