Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2008 12:05:37 PM EDT
Thanks to the possible onset of widespread O-blah-ma support,  I've convinced my wife to let me finally build the HK33 that I've always wanted.  So I'm about to order all my stuff including pick up a HF Tig welder.  I already have a press and tooling to remove barrel pins and the such so other than the TIG I'm pretty well prepared.  The price breakdown is this:

500 kit w/cut barrel
125 new US barrel
100 misc US parts
200 complete receiver or
125-ish for a flat

A new Vector is still 1200-ish so I see some savings,  plus I just like buildin' shit.

I have a grill and ambition enough to get parkerizing stuff.

This party could entail all forms of HK or Cetme builds.  They are all practically the same,  meaning we could do Mp5, HK 33 51 91 builds or Cetmes.  I have rebuilt a Century Cetme from the ground up including headspacing a new barrel,  and clip and pinning a HK navy grip frame and modifing the trigger packs,  so I have a decent grasp on the concept.  

There is no way in hell we could get a bunch of these done in one day but over the course of a weekend it could be done.  

Of course I'd be hosting the party.  Someone would need to bring a space heater though.  

Just tossing this out to my WI brothers for a feeler  
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Where do you live in WI?

I am interested.  I do not have any HK kits, a lot of HKs but no kits....but I have always wanted to learn how.

Count me for standing around and bringing stuff for the grill
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Waukesha CO.  There aren't too many tutorials on the net regarding HK builds but they are pretty darn easy once the proper gear is obtained.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Where do you live in WI?

I am interested.  I do not have any HK kits, a lot of HKs but no kits....but I have always wanted to learn how.

Count me for standing around and bringing stuff for the grill

G3 Is Just Plain Brutal On Full AutoWhen & Where I would like to try and make it
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
count me in for a few G3 kits...
they are on 100% receivers, so it should be a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 6:06:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Considering I know exactly squat (diddly, bubkiss, nada, nil, zippo) about building an HK I should probably get on board with this.

I would like to assemble something in the 9mm/.223 realm if at all possible.  I noticed aimsurplus has .223 receivers from Special Weapons.

If I'm in country I'd like to do this.

Thank you,

Dean
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#6]
where would one find the mp5 stuff?  i allways wanted one
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
where would one find the mp5 stuff?  i allways wanted one

im interested as well...
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Beleive SW, or whatever they're called today, has whole vector kits with rec's for $4-500
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#9]
link?
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]
annyone assemble a mp5 from a parts kit?
if it is annything like an AK in building count me in. however i would prefer to have a resident expert guide us noobs so as to avoid trashing a otherwise perfectly good receiver/kit with learning by trial and error.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The mp5 isnt really any different than a G3 or Cetme or HK33/93 build.  They are all delayed blowback rifles with stamped recievers.  The mp5's sure are expensive to build though.  I am having one hell of a time finding a barrel for my 33 all of a sudden.  Vector went out of buisness and Rim Country MFG is out of 33 barrels indefinitly.  I am picking up the tig welder tomorrow though so I can start practiceing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I do plan on doing a full pictoral on my 33 build.  I should have my kit tomorrow and start demilling this weekend.   The way it looks I might not have a barrel to do my build until next year.  

The going rumor is there are 30,000 HK33 kits in containers waiting to get ATF approval.  Another rumor I heard is Century bought most of those and is planning to sell them as a package,  kit, receiver and barrel.  Just a rumor though.  But the 30k kits is almost for sure.

Aim Surplus rec.

33 Flats

MP5 flats
Beware this is a Todd Bailey company,  but the quality and price are top shelf.

Build links:

http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/index.php

Military Firearm
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#15]
still waiting for an AK group build (or just help) for 2 kits I've got

Link Posted: 10/23/2008 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Just an update for anyone who may be interested.  I picked up a TIG and argon today and will start the learning process.

I also got my 33 kit from Copes and its a pretty nice kit.  The barrel is right at 8" not including the chamber, but thats a non-issue to me since I want to build a rifle.  I completely demilled my kit in less than 3 hours using a bench grinder and a dremel.  I built the first ever HK barrel fixture for removing barrel pins and it worked like a charm.  I've heard a bunch of horror stories of drilling pins but with this fixture it came right out.  

I also talked to Adam Weber owner of hkparts.com today and he said not to worry about US barrels because there is a new manufacturer coming on line along with the barrels Century is about to release.  He also stated he is in early talks with Vector to buy the remaining barrels that they had before the problems with the owner started.

If anyone needs help demilling their kit feel free to email or PM.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]
TIG welding is fairly easy and straight forward as long as you are using a decent welder and take the time to prep your materials.  I work in a food processing plant and do quite a bit of food grade weld TIG welding on stainless.  I prefer to use "scratch start" rather than a foot pedal or thumb slide for the current control.  For welding steel you want to grind the tungsten to a sharp point for better arc control.  Make sure that you grind the tungsten with the grain of the rod.  If you are using 2% thoriated tungstens, (you should be, as pure tungsten is mainly used for aluminum welding), make sure to not breathe in the dust while grinding the tip as it is toxic.  I would use either a 1/16" or 3/32" 2% thoriated tungsten electrode and a 1/16" fill rod.  On a good machine you will probably run the current in the 30-40 amp range for the sheet metal on the receiver.  I have only used Lincoln and Miller machines, so I don't know how the off-shore shit works?

EDIT:  Something else to watch for is your shielding gas.  Recently I got a new cylinder of argon and immediately started getting extremely shitty welds.  Put a different cylinder of argon on, and went back to beautiful welds.  Took the cylinder back to the welding supply house, and it turns out they filled the argon cylinder with something other than argon.  That's the first time I have ever had that happen in 12 years of welding, but it is something to keep in mind if you are getting poor results.
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the tips Brad.  I did buy 1/16 tungs and rods and the tungs where 2% like you said.  From all I've read on the net the harbor freight TIG is a great unit for receivers.  It can't do Aluminum though because its a scratch start.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#20]
15% off 219.00 plus 13 for tungstens and 5 for rods. Then $100 for a filled 20CF tank of argon,  I got that through Fox welding supply.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]
bump for post election pannicccc.... er interest
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Too bad I am broke. What is the status of building HK94 clones from parts kits? Are there decent receivers available? I wouldn't mind building an HK94 pistol then form 1ing it in the future to put a stock on. If you build it as a pistol do you have to weld something on to prevent the installation of a stock to stay within the law?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I spent 6 hours last night welding up my receiver, all I have to say is I need more practice.  All my welds are sound and strong, but not real pretty.  I have to grind em all.  After this I will say I will never buy a 33 flat again.  If you have a jig to bend it you should be fine, but the Cetme style bench bending is really hard to do for a 33.  The HK carrier is a larger diameter than a Cetme so the top tube has to be fully formed and perfectly round inside and out for the carrier to slide properly.  I spent nearly 2 days straightening and polishing hammering to get the top tube correct.  

Using a 100% receiver from SW would make this build reasonably easy.  The cocking tube was actually one of the easiest welds to make.  I should be putting some pictures up within a couple of weeks if anyone is still interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top