Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 8:22:23 AM EDT
Looks like there are going to be another 10,000 Bulgarian AK-74 kits coming in. DPH is preselling them and Copes will be getting them as well. These are an interesting case...they will be coming with new US made barrels with all of the parts installed on them. DPH is listing them for 350. Romys are going for 225 now so the price seems to be in line...sort of ...anyone interested in a 74 build? You can preorder now but not be billed until the kits come in...estimated sometime in the late summer/early fall. Let me know if there is any interest.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never built an AK or even seen one built in person. I'd love to do it though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't get to excited yet.

PRESALE ONLY Bulgarian Wood AK-74 Kit (5.45) $350.00

Click to enlarge  
ALL PRESALES ARE ON HOLD....

DPH ARMS
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't get to excited yet.

PRESALE ONLY Bulgarian Wood AK-74 Kit (5.45) $350.00

Click to enlarge  
ALL PRESALES ARE ON HOLD....

DPH ARMS
yeah I've heard from them today...it's still on. Also heard from Copes and they will be getting them in as well... pending approval of course...no reason to believe that they won't get approval as with all of the other shipments that have been made. Not sure why it says that since they are still taking preorders.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say that I'm in for a build party. I've been wanting to do one for a while now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I might be in for another build. and of course if you guys want to use the club again i can set it up. how much are we looking at for a complete 74 after all the parts?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#6]
count me in
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I might consider attending another build.  At the very least I can lend my tools.

I've been thinking of getting a Imbel FAL kit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested but it depends on my financial situation at the time though which is ???? SO.. Chalk me up as tenative.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I might consider attending another build.  At the very least I can lend my tools.

I've been wanting to do a FAL build also. What's the cost of the receiver/parts kit?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Count me in for my tools and all the knowledge that fp1201 gave to me

I think Ive built all the FAL & AK kits I can handle in the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been wanting to do a FAL build also. What's the cost of the receiver/parts kit?

Far more expensive.  

You can expect to pay $375 for an Entreprise Arms or $450 for a DSA upper receiver.  About $300 or more for the kit depending on what kit you chose.  Another $150 or so for compliance parts.

Also consider the cost of .308.

Mags are cheap though.

ETA: Damn, I just talked myself out of one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
If I can spare the money, I would be in. I have all the US compliance parts so I would just need a kit and a receiver. I would only be interested if I can get a AK74 5.45. I have two other 7.62x39.

Can anyone bend any receivers?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If I can spare the money, I would be in. I have all the US compliance parts so I would just need a kit and a receiver. I would only be interested if I can get a AK74 5.45. I have two other 7.62x39.

Can anyone bend any receivers?

We don't bend flats.  It just requires too much time and extra tooling.  

Not only do you have to bend, but you have to square them up, spot weld on the receiver rails straight, ream the pin and rivet holes, and heat treat them.  We find ourselves with barely enough time to perform complete builds with 100% receivers and fully demilled kits.

Cope's has Wz-88 Tantal kits (5.45) last I checked.  They come with original barrels and build into nice rifles.

Cope's has HK33 kits too (HK93), if anyone has the cash and is enough of a masochist to try and build one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Which kits are better the bulgarian or tantals?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Which kits are better the bulgarian or tantals?

I'd say about the same.  Maybe the Bulgarians are a little nicer.  My younger brother and I assembled Tantals at the last party.  They build into sweet rifles.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Plastic standing by...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Count me in for a build party. My collection needs an AK and I would like to meet some of you guys finally. What would I have to buy besides the kit?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Count me in for a build party. My collection needs an AK and I would like to meet some of you guys finally. What would I have to buy besides the kit?

Kit
Receiver
Compliance Parts

I think that is it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kit
Receiver
Compliance Parts

I think that is it.
yep that's about it..there is a lot of info online that you can look up to help get a better idea of what is involved...oh I would add rivets to the list of what is needed as well. The nice thing about these kits is that you will need one less compliance part...so assuming receiver, barrel, and FCG (3) then you would only need one part...either a muzzle device, pistol grip, gas piston, etc.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I think I might do a Saiga conversion.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
hhhmmm, that's a good idea too!  Which one? 7.62x39? .308? 12?!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hhhmmm, that's a good idea too!  Which one? 7.62x39? .308? 12?!

Probably a 20" .223.  There are plenty of E. German magazines.  I'd make it into a DMR.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#24]
For those of you guys looking to build a 5.45:
EE link: Tantal kits for $330
These kits don't come with a magazine, but the demill work is all mostly done (rear trunnion rivets need drill-out) and the seller ships it for less than you can get it elsewhere, even from Copes.  The Tantals are great because while they are side folders, they come with a standard rear trunnion that can accept a fixed stock with a simple swap.  Plus, they look great and function beautifully.  Also, I know how to demill the burst plate and I can help you guys out if we get this build rolling.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Can I build one on my Mak-90 receiver?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Can I build one on my Mak-90 receiver?

Maybe.  It would require a shitload of work.  You would need a 5.56 receiver.  A 7.62 mag well is too wide for 5.45 magazines.  

The first issue is mag compatibility.  I'm not sure if a 5.45 mag will fit in a 5.56 mag well without work.

The next issue is matching the Tantal trunnions to the receiver.  I'm pretty sure the Mak has a different rivet pattern than the Tantal.  You would need to drill new holes and fill the old (if you want them filled).

The third issue is whether a Tantal bolt carrier would fit properly on the Mak receiver rails.  If not, you would need to shape them or replace them.

Fourth, the Tantal selector system.  You'd have to make provisions for the left side selector.  The selector is different from a standard AKM in that the safety lever is designed to mate with the left side selector post on the inside.

Or, you could leave it off and stick with the Mak's original FCG; this option might be best due to the fact the Tantal's FCG is unique among AK-74's.  Its operation is unique too; a real-deal Tantal can be set between semi, 3-round burst, and full auto.  This feature required a different set up that won't be easily adapted to other AKM receivers.

All the left side selector does is give you the "look" of a real Tantal.  It doesn't function.  If you don't care to have a vestigial selector, then it makes the build easier.

I'd spend the $83 and buy a NoDak NDS-2T and have a receiver-trouble-free build.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I gotta move to a free state so I can have a folding stock 74. My Mak is a milled 7.62 with a chinese folder and US . I'll keep it as such or unload it. It does shoot well though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I gotta move to a free state so I can have a folding stock 74. My Mak is a milled 7.62 with a chinese folder and US . I'll keep it as such or unload it. It does shoot well though.

Tantals require stamped receivers, so it wouldn't have worked anyway.  

The folder just screws on, so you can keep it while the rifle is equipped with a fixed stock in NY, and swap it if you move out from under the fist of oppression.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I have my 20" .223 Saiga and a few E. German steel mags.  I have already stripped off all the "sporting" components.  

I have a new trigger guard assembly, US-made NATO-length buttstock, US pistol grip, US FCG, new US AK-74 piston, gas tube, and a new rear sight leaf on the way.

I'm debating whether I want to replace the front sight base.  I'll have to press it off, but if I swap it for one with a locking pin, I can thread the barrel and use a nice compensator.  Or I can use an AK-74 FSB and use a US AK-74 brake.  Not sure which I will go with if at all.

Converting the Saiga is a little trickier than I thought it would be.  I have several holes I need to figure out how to fill.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
 I have several holes I need to figure out how to fill.
Contact NY_Crawler he has a very nice solution...and it's cheap too!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#31]
On another note does anybody know how to swap out barrels on a milled Mak-90?
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Any update on these kits?
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#33]
curious as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Still waiting for them...hoping sometime in Oct. but these things usually come in a few months late...there are always delays...usually lots of them. I'll post more here if I hear anything soon though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Word on the street is JrKarp will be there with his 20 ton Press....

You mean the one we sold to Adirondak1?

Just make sure you have a couple drill presses, and, just as important, chucks for them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just make sure you have a couple drill presses, and, just as important, chucks for them.

Word on the street is you will be picking one up the night before from Harbor Freight due to lack of equipment...

Not I.  I've got one AK I built and one I bought.  That's enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Word on the street is you will be picking one up the night before from Harbor Freight due to lack of equipment...

Not I.  I've got one AK I built and one I bought.  That's enough for me.

Word on the street is you have an unfinished PRK from the last build which you could use at the "New" build....

You know there is knowledge to be spread.... like how to not press a barrel...

Yes.  Brass nuts, not steel.  Steel nuts will fuck up your chamber.

Though I would like to get a chance to check my epoxied receiver's strength.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Im alittle annoyed at colds post...first off it was stated about a million times that you MUST show up with your kits DEMILLED...and only a few did....this alone added 5HRs to the build!!!!!! as for it being a mess...look, this was the second time we ever did this. the first build we had 8 guys...this one we has 25!!!!!!! we were alittle unprepaired for the amout of people that came...and alot of people who said they were bringing tools never showed or didnt bring them the second build.

the first build was a huge hit.....the second build everyone decided to do different style AK's,people were NOT prepared for the build and everybody wanted to do something different...

I appologize we were not cordinated enough for you cold....but if it was such a bad day for you feel free to pass on the next build..if there ever is one. for the people who showed up ready to rock..i think almost all of them were DONE with there kits by 1-2 O'clock.

I hate when people say shit like this, I take it personally sence it was my club and most of it was set up by me I did the best I could with what i had....the next time we have a build and we have it at my place...were limiting it to 10 people MAX and there will be NO painting in the house. you WILL have your kit demilled before you get to the build, and you WILL pay for the rentle of the club. you WILL be responsable for the building of your own kit, and you WILL be limited to doing romy builds....

............there....that seems to take alot of the fun out of it now dont it...but then i guess the build will run alittle more smoothly
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Cold's assessment is pretty accurate from my perspective.  As one who has never drilled out rivets, used a template to drill through a hardened receiver, etc, I was lost.

As a result, I fucked up one of the trunnions on my M72 kit.  Drilled right through because I didn't know that the tack weld made the trunnion sit at an odd angle.  

My M72 barrel got fucked up when it was pressed back in because the brass nuts broke and steel was used instead, putting the chamber back out of round.

I had expected more of an "assembly line" operation, but it was pretty much every man for himself.

I had studied the AK build process online but I was lost trying to do things by myself.  Fortunately, Wade, Glenn, and the tattooed guy helped me out a lot.

If you're new to this, just don't expect a lot of hands on instruction.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Im alittle annoyed at colds post...first off it was stated about a million times that you MUST show up with your kits DEMILLED...and only a few did....this alone added 5HRs to the build!!!!!! as for it being a mess...look, this was the second time we ever did this. the first build we had 8 guys...this one we has 25!!!!!!! we were alittle unprepaired for the amout of people that came...and alot of people who said they were bringing tools never showed or didnt bring them the second build.

the first build was a huge hit.....the second build everyone decided to do different style AK's,people were NOT prepared for the build and everybody wanted to do something different...

I appologize we were not cordinated enough for you cold....but if it was such a bad day for you feel free to pass on the next build..if there ever is one. for the people who showed up ready to rock..i think almost all of them were DONE with there kits by 1-2 O'clock.

I hate when people say shit like this, I take it personally sence it was my club and most of it was set up by me I did the best I could with what i had....the next time we have a build and we have it at my place...were limiting it to 10 people MAX and there will be NO painting in the house. you WILL have your kit demilled before you get to the build, and you WILL pay for the rentle of the club. you WILL be responsable for the building of your own kit, and you WILL be limited to doing romy builds....

............there....that seems to take alot of the fun out of it now dont it...but then i guess the build will run alittle more smoothly

It was never stated that pre-demilling was required, just recommended.

Cold and I demilled to the best of our abilities.  We showed up with partially demilled kits, which was the best we could do.

We were told not to worry if we didn't know what we were doing, that there'd be plenty of help available.

Instead, some of the people who were done sat on their asses and didn't even offer to help those of us who were obviously struggling.

I owe a great debt to Wade for all of his help.  Were it not for him, neither of the two kits I brought would have ended up functional.  As it is, I'm 1 for 2.

Spare us your outrage.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I was unable to make the 2nd build but the first build was ran very well. It sounds like the problem was the large amount of people that attended. If, and I hope we do, have another build I would think that limiting it to 10-15 people would be ideal. I don't think anyone at these builds are experts, maybe Gunwolf he was a lifesaver when I attended the first build, and we can't expect the builds to be ran like an assembly line when you have people who show up with different amounts of the builds already completed. It would be great if everyone in NY were as knowledgeable in law as they are in TX but as you said they were good ole boys and are most likely non familiar with firearm laws. Either way I learned a lot from the 1st build and hope this can become an annual thing here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Instead, some of the people who were done sat on their asses and didn't even offer to help those of us who were obviously struggling.

Spare us your outrage.

pfft....dont get my started. you chose to do a more complex build your first time out...and yup, I was one of them guys sitting on my ass. because all i've ever build were romys and knew nothing about the kit you were working on....and i did offer to help you for what i could do. so your welcome for that.
and for what i recall I posted COUNTLESS times that i DID NOT was clod spraying duracoat at the club..which he COMPLETELY disregarded and did anyway....he also spent a majority of the day spraying parts iunsted of working on his own kit, and at 5PM paniced because everyone was done and he hadnt even started..

dont give me your shit....if there are better build partys out there by all means ATTEND THEM.....but to all the first build guys that had fun and dont bitch about the small things....your welcome back any time....
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spare us your outrage.

pfft....dont get my started. you chose to do a more complex build your first time out...and yup, I was one of them guys sitting on my ass. because all i've ever build were romys and knew nothing about the kit you were working on....and i did offer to help you for what i could do. so your welcome for that.
and for what i recall I posted COUNTLESS times that i DID NOT was clod spraying duracoat at the club..which he COMPLETELY disregarded and did anyway....he also spent a majority of the day spraying parts iunsted of working on his own kit, and at 5PM paniced because everyone was done and he hadnt even started..

dont give me your shit....if there are better build partys out there by all means ATTEND THEM.....but to all the first build guys that had fun and dont bitch about the small things....your welcome back any time....

You didn't offer shit, skippy.  But it's cool.  It was a learning experience.

And how was I to know a Bulgarian 74 or an RPK were more complex?  And how different are they from anything else?  Not very.  Had someone told me that help was available for cheap ass Romys but not for anything else that's what I would have built.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I heard about this debacle. Seems to me it should serve as a learning experience for future build parties. As already stated, it seems that it has. The future party will be limited in terms of numbers and more tightly controlled financially. Unfortunately, that's how these things turn out. You have to have a strong administrative hand when you're getting 2 dozen unknowns together.

As, at least, 2 people seems to have lost money in the deal; it's fair they post here. This way people can enter into this keeping an eye on their own interests with a more vigilant eye.

Besides, if there are key bit sof equipment necessary to do a build and they are not present, then who can you really blame? Think about how frustrating that had to be for a new builder. Seriously. It was apparently frustrating enough that one member went and BOUGHT a press. Can you imagine a worse introduction?

Don't be so offended and, instead, work proactively to make the next build party a complete success. Overshadow the problems of the last one with the success and happiness of the next one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top