Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/31/2009 7:19:56 PM EST
Looking for an outdoor range that is at least 100m in the Tampa area. Also looking for a good indoor range near MacDill AFB. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:36:02 PM EST
Not really, once they closed down the old Tampa Police range off of Hillsbourgh Ave. there is really nothing but indoor ranges.

Best option IMHO, Dade City or Hernando to the North, Manatee to the South. Wyoming Antelope club is a joke and I am not to partial to Tenoroc.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:57:05 PM EST
The ONLY 100 yard indoor range around is at Shoot Straight in Tampa (301 and MLK).

It's well run and busy, usually catering to the regulars/members but you can get a solid hour on the 100 yard rifle range and you can shoot FA on it, as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:31:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By ftldrben:
The ONLY 100 yard indoor range around is at Shoot Straight in Tampa (301 and MLK).

It's well run and busy, usually catering to the regulars/members but you can get a solid hour on the 100 yard rifle range and you can shoot FA on it, as well.

During the week is better than the weekends. Rifle side is very busy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:51:59 AM EST

What part of Tampa are you in? There are a few, but none of them in Hillsborough. You will have to drive... The closest being St Pete/Clearwater : Wyoming Antelope Club

by Roosevelt and I-275. There are others, but they are an hour drive from the ciry of Tampa. Hernando Sportsmans Club is one. Personally, I wouldn't give Shoot Straight a dime of my money!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:38:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By Evenflo76:

>>> Personally, I wouldn't give Shoot Straight a dime of my money!

I don't think they even start at anything below a buck so you couldn't give them a dime if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:43:23 AM EST
Last time I was there, it was a while, Wyoming Antelope Club's rules kinda forbade shooting an AR type rifle.

The rules section is under revision, perhaps they are more black rifle friendly now.

For a bolt-action and bench-rest style shooting, it's a nice place.

Hernando Sportsman Club has a very nice range, but it's a haul from Tampa and they are morning people in a bad way.

Shoot Straight isn't that bad, but there are only 3 rifle stations and there's often a long wait. They do seem to have a talent for pissing people off, judging from comments. They have not managed to tick me off, but your mileage may vary.

Knight's in Clearwater has some 50 yard rifle lanes, NFA and black-gun friendly. I don't care for the sales staff, but again YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:20:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 8:23:04 AM EST by Evenflo76]
Originally Posted By Z09SS:

Knight's in Clearwater has some 50 yard rifle lanes, NFA and black-gun friendly. I don't care for the sales staff, but again YMMV.

50 yard or 50 feet? and can you shoot reloads? Oh Nevermind. I checked their website. Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:49:34 AM EST
Shoot Straight sucks...and its is EXSPENSIVE
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:27:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 2:27:55 PM EST by ReefRaider]
Last time I was there, it was a while, Wyoming Antelope Club's rules kinda forbade shooting an AR type rifle.

The rules section is under revision, perhaps they are more black rifle friendly now.

For a bolt-action and bench-rest style shooting, it's a nice place.

Hernando Sportsman Club has a very nice range, but it's a haul from Tampa and they are morning people in a bad way.

Shoot Straight isn't that bad, but there are only 3 rifle stations and there's often a long wait. They do seem to have a talent for pissing people off, judging from comments. They have not managed to tick me off, but your mileage may vary.

If you would please explain.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:00:41 PM EST
The Wyoming Antelope Club never stopped anybody from using any AR or AK type rifle, but the ROs have discretion if you are unsafe. This was an OLD private club that HAS been shut down before for rounds leaving the range. Rumor has it that was thanks to the Pinellas County Sheriffs Office (with full auto MP5s) that has leased the place during the week for well over 20 years now.

The rules at the Antelope Club have pretty much always been single loading for centerfire rifles. If you were ever there and saw the amount of bullet holes in the old wooden baffles that have been replaced, you'd probably understand a little better. Or pulled range duty in October when everybody needs to sight in that deer rifle to get the big buck this year. Some of the RO's are better than others, but again understand that they're volunteers out of the paying membership. If you've ever seen some of the wannabe gang bangers that show up on the pistol line to do rapid fire full mag dumps with their "NINES" , again, you'd understand. IF you ask a RO to function check a magazine, most likely they will let you fire several rounds from your rifle as long as it is not rapid fire.

It IS the only outdoor range left in the most densely populated county in the state. If you want to blast a lot of rounds, there are better places. The WAC is fine for 100 yard load develpment, testing, sight in. You can fire handguns out to 100 yards IF you can hit the target. Members can compete there in action shotgun/handgun, high power, bullseye, etc. ROs get keys, free range days, and RANGES to themselves some times. I get sighted in at the WAC and go to Manatee Rifle and Archery for long range. It's more laid back, but they can afford to be. Even they had to reconfigure their thousand yard range when bullets were impacting into state land north of the range.

Going to the WAC always reminds me of being an American GI stationed in Germany. Yeah, most of them like us, but we never left after 1945 and a lot of assholes were there before YOU get there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:23:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By Airforcewes:
Shoot Straight sucks...and its is EXSPENSIVE

They are expensive but their rifle range is very nice as well as their customer service and selection of firearms. $15 per hour on the rifle range is just plain crazy but it is a great place to sight in your rifle and leave.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:43:30 PM EST
i like the wyoming antlope club. i became a member so i can lod more round in my rifles magazine.
i like most of the range officers.

i work part time at nights doing firearm repair and shoot there quite a bit, i like using the electronic
target controls.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:21:06 PM EST
Dade City Gun Club

Just North of Tampa/Wesley Chapel. Outdoor range with up to 100yd rifle and 25yd pistol.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:09:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By wevo:
Dade City Gun Club

Just North of Tampa/Wesley Chapel. Outdoor range with up to 100yd rifle and 25yd pistol.

Are you a member there? I have been wanting to get a membership there. How is it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:46:44 AM EST

The range hours are mostly in the morning. When I was working evenings and nights I was sleeping when they were open. I read it now and I think I came across as too negative and too strong.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:50:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hendricks5150:

Dade City Gun Club

Are you a member there? I have been wanting to get a membership there. How is it?

I recently became a member because I like shooting there and it is only minutes from my house in Wesley Chapel. There is always room there, you can shoot as long as you want and they supply the targets and frames. Not too many people seem to know about them.

They are open everyday except Thursdays and their hours are 9-3, I believe. Check them out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:02:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 11:06:19 AM EST by osprey21]
Come on down to the Manatee Gun Club if you want to "stretch your legs" - so to speak.

100 - 1000yd rifle range and lots more.

http://www.manateegunclub.com/

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:09:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Come on down to the Manatee Gun Club if you want to "stretch your legs" - so to speak.

http://i36.tinypic.com/332ysyv.png

Like it there also. Just a little far for me to go every weekend. Worth it for the 1000yd though
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:19:47 PM EST

Definitely worth the drive, unless you want to go to TN to shoot at 1000, LOL.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:54:14 PM EST

The range hours are mostly in the morning. When I was working evenings and nights I was sleeping when they were open. I read it now and I think I came across as too negative and too strong.
They are open until 3pm every day except Monday. They do have some night shoots too.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:06:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By Q3131A:
They are open until 3pm every day except Monday. They do have some night shoots too.

2pm weekdays and 3pm on the weekends.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:17:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 1:20:27 PM EST by ReefRaider]

No biggy I just wanted to know if there was a problem. The HSC is open on Thursday night's 5:00 PM till 9:00 PM. In case you wanted to try low light shooting
http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/calendar/2009/Nov09/nov09.htm
GB

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:32:22 AM EST

Do you know the regs about kids there? I've never taken mine there before, but my 7yo and I are camping in Myakka this weekend and I thought about taking him to air out his .22

I've never seen kids on my previous trips.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:17:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By BayEagle:

Do you know the regs about kids there? I've never taken mine there before, but my 7yo and I are camping in Myakka this weekend and I thought about taking him to air out his .22

I've never seen kids on my previous trips.

Youngins are welcome - even encouraged.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:00:26 AM EST

Dade City Gun Club

I recently became a member because I like shooting there and it is only minutes from my house in Wesley Chapel. There is always room there, you can shoot as long as you want and they supply the targets and frames. Not too many people seem to know about them.

They are open everyday except Thursdays and their hours are 9-3, I believe. Check them out.

Almost sure they're open until 4. Nice range. The club president (Bob?) can be a little gruff with noobies, but I think with the way the population is increasing in that area, he feels personally responsible for every bullet that goes downrange.

My only objection to Dade City, other than the drive, is that the pistol range has a minimum range of 10 yards. If it's been a year since I last shot, I'm pretty sure my first doubletap is going to be ugly at 10 yards.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:40:18 AM EST

Dade City Gun Club

I don't live too far away from that range as well.

How is the brass there? Do people leave their brass or does everyone take it home with them?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:37:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 11:38:01 AM EST by wevo]

Dade City Gun Club

How is the brass there? Do people leave their brass or does everyone take it home with them?

Sadly, the Range Officers seem to scoop up any brass that isn't taken by shooters. I have to make sure I pick up my own quickly or it will be swept up and taken .
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:19:01 PM EST

I like the Manatee range, but it's just so expensive. I don't go enough to buy the membership, and I think a daily fee is 30 or 35 dollars. Am I right there? Any discount for ARFCOM???
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:37:10 PM EST

Dade City Gun Club

Sadly, the Range Officers seem to scoop up any brass that isn't taken by shooters. I have to make sure I pick up my own quickly or it will be swept up and taken .

Are they reloaders or just cleaning up the range?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:57:29 PM EST

Dade City Gun Club

Are they reloaders or just cleaning up the range?

Since the brass goes straight into their vehicle, they must be loaders or brass sellers . Not an issue, just not much extra brass to pick up. Some RO's don't seem to be as aggressive as others and then you can actually pick up left over brass from other shooters.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:27:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 2:27:50 PM EST by RichT]
Originally Posted By jrsmiles:

I like the Manatee range, but it's just so expensive. I don't go enough to buy the membership, and I think a daily fee is 30 or 35 dollars. Am I right there? Any discount for ARFCOM???

Manatee charges 18.00 dollars for non- members for the day.

Top Top