Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 7:40:18 PM EDT
...want to take a look at a car for me without buying it out from under me? The owner is elderly and I am about 7.5 hours away in Kansas City. I'd pay you for your time, of course, depending on how much it would cost. It seems to be in a real nice area and the car looks very clean, but it does have a few issues and the guy just wont offer much in the way of into. I still have to get the odometer reading off of him! I have a list of issues I can see from pics, so I'd just like to get a pair of eyes on it to identify anything I missed. Ideally I'd like to hear about any body or frame corrosion or possibly get a good opinion on previous body work done. A compression check would be awesome too if the owner was up for it. No access to a lift though. High-res pics would be great. Is this a crazy proposition or what?

Would probably head down with cash  this Thursday or Friday if it worked out. I'd also buy lunch / dinner and drinks at that stupid ass Gas Monkey bar n grill if it's edible.

BTW, we're talking a <10,000 car here, I'm no baller.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'd also buy lunch / dinner and drinks at that stupid ass Gas Monkey bar n grill if it's edible.
View Quote

Can't help with the car, but I did stop in there to eat once and it was horrible.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of car is it? I am trying to sell my Streetrod and cannot get a decent price on it. It has been on Ebay auction three times and has not met the reserve.

Vince
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
60's Ford big block
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of car is it? I am trying to sell my Streetrod and cannot get a decent price on it. It has been on Ebay auction three times and has not met the reserve.

Vince
View Quote

No one has any cash right now. Hold on if you can. I have cars to move as well as guns. My DW sold but I'd like to keep the rest of those.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can't help with the car, but I did stop in there to eat once and it was horrible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd also buy lunch / dinner and drinks at that stupid ass Gas Monkey bar n grill if it's edible.

When I have more time I will search it but I thought I read here that it was pretty good food.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the car: https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/5094998980.html

Looks KILLER from the pics, but first of all the ol guy has lots of classic Fords he's sold online, but yet he can't remember anything about this one and doesn't have ANY additional info than in the ad. Also, the high-res pics took 2 phone calls of begging to get which show the rest of the story. It's at least somewhat pieced together and not really very well that I can tell. Sure, if the body and frame were solid, as well as the motor, than its still a good deal, but I just can't trust the car or the seller so I'm out. Dammit...my 3+ year hunt continues. I've recently expanded my search to include the '64, and my range out from about 4 hours to about 12.

Here is my "bucket list":

1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL 390+ in.^3
1964 Galaxie 500 XL 390+ in.^3
49-51 "Shoebox" with mild chop
52-56 coupe

No convertibles, no 4 doors, nothing smaller than a 351, though I'd prefer a 390-427FE or a 385 series 429/460. Auto or manual.

BTW, I've had really good experiences and service from lightstream. They do very low interest unsecured loans for almost anything, and the only "catch" I'm aware of is that you have to pay any additional money toward the principle on another day besides the due date or they pull interest out of it. No early pay off, never got a single piece of mail in the mailbox, no spam, etc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's the car: https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/5094998980.html

Looks KILLER from the pics, but first of all the ol guy has lots of classic Fords he's sold online, but yet he can't remember anything about this one and doesn't have ANY additional info than in the ad. Also, the high-res pics took 2 phone calls of begging to get which show the rest of the story. It's at least somewhat pieced together and not really very well that I can tell. Sure, if the body and frame were solid, as well as the motor, than its still a good deal, but I just can't trust the car or the seller so I'm out. Dammit...my 3+ year hunt continues. I've recently expanded my search to include the '64, and my range out from about 4 hours to about 12.

Here is my "bucket list":

1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL 390+ in.^3
1964 Galaxie 500 XL 390+ in.^3
49-51 "Shoebox" with mild chop
52-56 coupe

No convertibles, no 4 doors, nothing smaller than a 351, though I'd prefer a 390-427FE or a 385 series 429/460. Auto or manual.

BTW, I've had really good experiences and service from lightstream. They do very low interest unsecured loans for almost anything, and the only "catch" I'm aware of is that you have to pay any additional money toward the principle on another day besides the due date or they pull interest out of it. No early pay off, never got a single piece of mail in the mailbox, no spam, etc.
View Quote

Thats a bad ass ride.   If I were closer I would love to check it out for ya.    Due to having a wife if I were to try to buy it I would have to live in it so no worries here
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Haha...thx man. My OL can't wait for me to get one so I'll finally STFU.

Little does she know.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Vince
View Quote

It is a buyer's market.  Has been since 2007-2008, but had been seeing some signs of recovery...  but lately things have taken a downturn again.  As someone else said, nobody has cash.  I think part of the problem is inflation is killing us.  The liars in the gov't say inflation has been low but any time you go to the store you can easily see that is a huge lie.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Looks like it could be a wrecking yard build, notice the other cars in the photos. Paint also looks too good.

Vince
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top