Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2003 11:13:16 AM EDT

It seems ridiculous that the GA CCW law doesn't allow carry within a restaurant that serves alcohol. Under the law, that requires me to leave my gun in the car when I go to my favorite restaurant, which serves wine. In the car where the gun can be stolen....

After all, we are probably most at risk of robbery or some other crime when leaving a restaurant at night.

Many states have an exemption which allows carry within establishments that derive 50% of revenue from sale of food, so that bars are still off limits for carry.

What's the history on this? Has anyone ever tried to get the language changed to correspond to many other states? Do you know of any plans to do so?

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:50:23 PM EDT
I don't know imcoltsguy,but it's worth a try to get a list of other states that allow it and present it to a state rep. or senator for consideration.The only real problem is whether it can be added to the existing law.The whole law may have to be reviewed rather than it being amended.
The current politcal climate right now is a good one for something as far as statewide laws.At last we have legislators that aren't Atlanta centric.It seems to me that one of the first things Sonny did was remind the mayor and city council of Atlanta that his was a statewide office and he would do what was best for the state even if they didn't like it.I wanted to cheer out loud!
Robert.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:35:22 AM EDT
Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I thought it only applied to establishments where more than 50% of profit was from alcohol - i.e., bars, etc. Anyone care to expound on this?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:06:32 AM EDT
I'd love to expound, but since I am not a lawyer either, it would seem like I was post whoring, so I won't.

It does seem like a good idea though...no, not me expounding.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:34:26 AM EDT
I'm not a lawyer, but it states, "establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises"

I don't know how it stands, but HB30 http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003_04/versions/hb30_LC_18_2000_a_2.htm would change this.

More important is HB31, http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003_04/versions/hb31_LC_21_7107_a_2.htm which basically says that if you create a gun free area, you are responsible for any and all damages done.

Check out HB 40, and 113 also.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003_04/leg/legislation.htm
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:46:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2003 7:48:29 AM EDT by Sweep]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:52:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:34:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ByteTheBullet:
I'd love to expound, but since I am not a lawyer either, it would seem like I was post whoring, so I won't.

It does seem like a good idea though...no, not me expounding.

ByteTheBullet

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:10:10 AM EDT

Does anyone know where their local state representative stands on this issue with the Georgia Firearms License (thanks, Sweep)?

Does anyone have any information on which ones are particularly supporters or opponents of the license? Knowing this would help, especially at voting time.

Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:23:45 PM EDT
This year the legislative session was spent on balancing the budget, re-writing fair lending laws, changing the flag, etc. If anyone will start up a petition I will pass if on to the correct individuals in the Senate.

Personally I am working on several members of the General Assembly to introduce a bill that several of us have been working on, building support. When the time is right I expect to hear the phone calls and see letters at the capital. I will let you know any new information that I can as it becomes relevant.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:37:11 PM EDT
For what it's worth...

I asked a cop about this very topic a couple of years ago. Cobb County, after a "lunch & learn" session at work regarding personal safety.

He said not to worry about it, as long as you were not, yourself, drinking.

My personal habit is: no booze on the table + not sitting at the bar = A-OK.

But that's just me.

Yes, I realize that if somebody wanted to bust me, I'd be SOL. But if somebody wanted to bust me, it's not like there are many obstacles anyway...

Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:38:09 AM EDT
I am a LEO and I dont give a rats ass if you carry it in a rest. as long as you are not drinking yourself. The firearms license is a joke, if you really read it you cant hardly carryn it anywhere. I think we need a good concealed weapon permit added to the books.
Top Top