Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/4/2010 6:54:31 PM EDT
Just hoping we have some presence there. It would suck to be the only guy in town.

That said, how are the sporting stores?
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 7:29:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 7:50:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By uafgrad:
you moving or going on vacation?
I loves Hilo
it reminded me a lot of Fairbanks in how it felt

Not entirely sure at this point. I'm hoping just wintering, but if the property sells, moving.

Just getting everything figured out ahead of time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 8:09:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 8:21:06 PM EDT
Do you have pets?
Can you deal with 6 months of them being confined in quarentine?

Whats the job market like?
We stayed in the rain forest when we were there, it was very nice. About a 20 min or so drive into downtown. Pretty relaxed lifestyle, lots of rain

Well, we have one cat, but found a way for a week or so quarantine. Figure she'll have to get chipped and an in depth vet check though.

As for jobs, the wife will be working for her mother in law. I was going to do whatever. Wait tables, etc. Hoping for a sporting goods job.

If the houses sell, we've got 3 acres or so marked for us to buy.

Going to be an interesting summer lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 10:07:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 10:25:26 PM EDT
How much is 3 acers in Hilo

I really liked Hilo and there werent too many downsides
Biggest one is gun laws

Also how did you figure out how to do a week long quarentine? That was one of our biggest hang ups, there was no way in hell we were going to leave our dog locked up for 6 months

Yeah the gun laws suck hardcore down there. Still, you can own most everything if you go with a trust.

I've got to find out how an 003 ffl works down there though.

Property isn't too horrible if you are willing to go off grid on utilities. What we were looking at was 27-35k ish. Then again, were going to be running solar hopefully. Hawaii hits you back for 35% and there is a 20% fed tax break also.

I'd talk to the gal at raven vet clinic. She's our vet and is awesome, even for a hippy lol.

Moving is a bastard though. We're probably getting a conex and getting rid of the cars, and most of our stuff. So much to do lol.

Link Posted: 4/4/2010 10:32:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 10:52:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

Biggest one is gun laws

Also how did you figure out how to do a week long quarentine? That was one of our biggest hang ups, there was no way in hell we were going to leave our dog locked up for 6 months

Yeah the gun laws suck hardcore down there. Still, you can own most everything if you go with a trust.

Property isn't too horrible if you are willing to go off grid on utilities. What we were looking at was 27-35k ish. Then again, were going to be running solar hopefully. Hawaii hits you back for 35% and there is a 20% fed tax break also.

I'd talk to the gal at raven vet clinic. She's our vet and is awesome, even for a hippy lol.

Moving is a bastard though. We're probably getting a conex and getting rid of the cars, and most of our stuff. So much to do lol.

Do I understand you correct that by using a trust, you can own NFA items in HI?
This is very interesting
I might have to start talking with the spousal unit again

No NFA for the peseants in hawaii. I am not from Hilo but I kind of spent summers there cuz my mother's family is from there. The city of HIlo itself is decently sized and there are all the staples you would expect for a city that size, (supermarkets, walmart, and so on). Last time i was there a few years ago, there is no Costco yet so my relatives made an overnight road trip to Costco in Kona. There is just one gun shop in the city though and many hilo guys come to honolulu to get their shooting supplies. I hope yhou like the rain. Hilo is one of the wettest cities in the US.

Link Posted: 4/4/2010 10:52:21 PM EDT
Thats an 'I think' at this point. After work tomorrow I'm going to the library for some real internet, so I'll print off the relevant stuff.

Honestly, if ammo is as expensive as I hear, i'd just get a 22 can or the like.

I'm hoping to bring enough 22 to cover practice and reload the rest.

Probably getting ahead of myself though. 'saying your plans outloud is a good way to hear god laugh' and all.

Link Posted: 4/4/2010 11:04:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2010 11:07:38 PM EDT by NorthPolar]
Well, i did misread the law on nfa persons. That way, they are banned. I'll research trusts/corp. Tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Work in 7 hours is going to suck lol

Edit: guess my idea for an accessories/ ammo shop might still be good then
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 10:51:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 11:07:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kymas23:

Biggest one is gun laws

This is very interesting

No NFA for the peseants in hawaii. I am not from Hilo but I kind of spent summers there cuz my mother's family is from there. The city of HIlo itself is decently sized and there are all the staples you would expect for a city that size, (supermarkets, walmart, and so on). Last time i was there a few years ago, there is no Costco yet so my relatives made an overnight road trip to Costco in Kona. There is just one gun shop in the city though and many hilo guys come to honolulu to get their shooting supplies. I hope yhou like the rain. Hilo is one of the wettest cities in the US.

There is one person in particular who has finally broke that barrier down. One VERY SPECIAL gun shop in Honolulu has a Class 3 licence now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 11:11:06 AM EDT
Kona side here but my cousin lives in Hilo...

Bring lots of .22 cause there is none here. I have to get it from my brother on the mainland. I reload .308, .223, and 45acp cause its just crazy expensive.

As for the quarantine stuff you can get animals in quicker now. 8 years ago when I moved here you could not but in recent years they changed things to allow you to get them in fast. I guess it was about 4 years ago they lightened up. My Aunt moved here and brought her dog in right away with no quarantine. I don't remember how you do it but it can be done. I think they will let you follow quarantine procedures in your home state as well and that is enough.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 2:44:44 PM EDT
ok now I'm even more curious
how on earth are you going to reload 22lr
in theory it's possible, but......

Lol sorry. I was meaning that I'd bring .22 and reload my other calibers lol.

I'll be printing off the hunting and nfa laws here in a few hours and will hopefully have good news.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 7:13:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 6:35:52 PM EDT
I will be at Pohakuloa Training Area for a month. However, neighborly visits are a little restricted.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 10:58:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By darealickt:
Originally Posted By Kymas23:

Biggest one is gun laws

This is very interesting

There is one person in particular who has finally broke that barrier down. One VERY SPECIAL gun shop in Honolulu has a Class 3 licence now.

Damn, How the hell happen? That would have been cool when I was living back home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:38:00 PM EDT

Biggest one is gun laws

Ok, we have the Hawaii Regs printed off at the house. Figure next time I'm at the library I'll try to summarize em for ya. Basic idea behind it is, if your pet gets chipped and rabies shots within 6 months but over 120 days, along with deticking and a few other gizmos, they can pass straight through with no quarantine. Oh, and your pet has to be checked as baggage, and cant be tranquilized. Our cat is going to try to kill me after having to be in a plane for nearly 18 hours considering all the stops.

Its what we are going to do with the cat.

Oh btw, it is looking at the last week of october or first of november for when we are heading out. Tickets + cat shipping are going to put us back ~1500 alone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 11:11:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2010 11:12:12 PM EDT by great308]
Moved off island for a year to vegas back in 2006 and when I moved back it took me nearly $7000 to move back including cars shipping and airfare for the wifey and I.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:55:20 PM EDT
My wife is a vet in Hilo and can help with the quarantine issue, we deal with it all the time. I'm on Oahu for now and going back and forth. Our house there is actually up in Ahualoa (above Honoka`a) so she has a bit of a commute each day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:29:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
My wife is a vet in Hilo and can help with the quarantine issue, we deal with it all the time. I'm on Oahu for now and going back and forth. Our house there is actually up in Ahualoa (above Honoka`a) so she has a bit of a commute each day.

Well, should anything weird comes up, I'll ask.

Just wondering, how is .22 223 and 12ga price and availability in hilo?

Also how are the local ranges?
Top Top