Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 2:21:16 PM EDT
Hey all,
Well, since I'm now officially a member of SCSC, I plan on trying my hand at the 3-gun matches. I still need to get a holster (and if I decide to use my Glock 19, mags), but I need to get a sidesaddle etc for my 870HD. I figger I was going to get one anyway (along with a Vang safety, and some ghost ring sights), and this just forced it to the "front burner". So are there any good 'smiths in this area for some minor gunsmithing?

rich
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:30:41 PM EDT
Rich...one of our club members is a retired Marine armourer. John Leber. He's done a good bit of repairs on folks guns, but it's "minor" gunsmithing in the fact that he doesn't do any machine work or custom stuff. Basically he just does stock repairs. The other (real, full time) gunsmith is in the Nanjamoy area. His name is Curtis and he does very nice work. He did a 1911 trigger for me once, and just built a custom 1911 for a buddy of mine, who is very happy with it. Another friend has had Curtis do stock work, and some drilling/tapping type work for scopes. I've never heard a bad word about his work. Call Precision Gunworks @ 301-743-5483.

Missed you at the Hi-Pwr shoot today. Good turnout, nice weather. Later, Bob
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:33:19 PM EDT
Thanks Bob,
Yeah, I couldn't make it today. Too many "honey do's". Anyway, I'll give Curtis a call. I just need some shotty work for the three gun match on the 21st. How'd the M4 do today?

Rich
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 5:04:32 PM EDT by X_Ring]
Well, the M4 made her maiden voyage today. I didn't embarrass myself, but only shot a sharpshooter score ( I'm ranked Expert) I missed it by 7 pts. It took a match to discover the differences between the M4 and the DCM. The M4 sling is different, trigger is different, weight is different.....the sun was in my eyes, I had gas,...etc etc etc. I had a good time, that's all that counts.

ETA...you might want to contact Jason about the three? gun match. Last couple of months, he was only running two guns, no shotgun. gmstrjsn@aol.com He prefers that you contact him via e-mail with your intent to shoot so he has an idea of how many shooters he has to accomandate. He seldom answers the phone. I believe he also gives discounts on the $$$ if you help set-up/teardown.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:11:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By X_Ring:
Well, the M4 made her maiden voyage today. I didn't embarrass myself, but only shot a sharpshooter score ( I'm ranked Expert) I missed it by 7 pts. It took a match to discover the differences between the M4 and the DCM. The M4 sling is different, trigger is different, weight is different.....the sun was in my eyes, I had gas,...etc etc etc. I had a good time, that's all that counts.

ETA...you might want to contact Jason about the three? gun match. Last couple of months, he was only running two guns, no shotgun. gmstrjsn@aol.com He prefers that you contact him via e-mail with your intent to shoot so he has an idea of how many shooters he has to accomandate. He seldom answers the phone. I believe he also gives discounts on the $$$ if you help set-up/teardown.

Yeah,.
I already emailed him. HE did mention that I'd need side saddles for the shotty, so I guess that answers that question. I emailed him back if he had any recommendations for 'smith's as well, but he hasn't replied yet.

Thanks

Rich
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:10:55 AM EDT
I've heard good things about the smith that Clyd's Sport Shop has. Off the beltway on 695.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:47:28 AM EDT
Also,
Has anyone used Lou Klein? I see him listed on the MD AR-15 shooter's board.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:29:39 AM EDT
We have a good one down here in St Mary's county, if you don't mind the drive.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:47:37 PM EDT
Loubie,
How far is that (I'm in Waldorf area)? Who is it?

Thanks man
Rich
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:28:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Also,

Rich

Rich...I've spoken to Lou Klien on the phone, but never been there. He works out of his house in Bowie.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:43:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By X_Ring:

Also,

Rich

Rich...I've spoken to Lou Klien on the phone, but never been there. He works out of his house in Bowie.

First off, I have absolutely no knowledge of his gun smith skills. That being said, the few times I've talked to him on the phone he gets my vote as biggest prick on the planet. I think if you look up at the tacked thread for MD FFLs, there's something that said he changed prices on a few members when they went to pick up their rifle.

I called and asked him about an out of state X-fer for an AR and he said he could get what I wanted. When he called me back with the quote it was about $250 than I could get it from AIM Surplus for so I explained I'd just as soon do that. His response, "Well that's fine, I'll charge you $300 for an X-fer!" For what? He said he had to do "all of that paperwork! WTF? It's only one or two pieces of paper. Bye bye.

IMHO, stay away from this prick.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:24:46 AM EDT

Loubie,
How far is that (I'm in Waldorf area)? Who is it?

Thanks man
Rich

It is about 40 minutes south of Waldorf. His name is R C Miller, goes by"RC". I have known him for about 30 years. He does his work part time at home. PM me for details.
Top Top