Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 11:03:25 AM EDT
Coyote hunting has been very good, here in central Washington.

Any other "Black Rifle" Yote hunters on the Washington Home board?

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/Coyote1.jpg

http://www.steelheader.net/photopost/data/500/838K8.jpg
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Whats up, the pictures were up and working, now they're not?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

works for me...

at first you had your addresses with URL and missing part of the address.

Nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/Coyote1.jpg
www.steelheader.net/photopost/data/500/838K8.jpg

Use img for images not url.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I love it but I haven't been out in a number of years, come to think of it.....    Kids and married life - huh - funny how that changes things....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I like huntng 'yotes. Havn't been out this year though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

ditto.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ditto.

And again!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/MOGWAR/P61900062.jpg

Is that Frenchman Coulee across the Columbia?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I havent been hunting, but a friend is trying to talk me into going coyote hunting and other small varmits.  Can you post some info on WA requirements to hunt coyotes and other varmits.  Do you eat the meat or do anything with the coyote after you shoot it?  Permits required?  What area do you guys hunt in?

What is the set up on that rifle?  Barrel length?   Optics?  

Im considering a build similar to yours.  Thinking 20inch barrel, 10x optics.....  noting set in stone at this time, trying to research it and get input.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I havent been hunting, but a friend is trying to talk me into going coyote hunting and other small varmits.  Can you post some info on WA requirements to hunt coyotes and other varmits.  Do you eat the meat or do anything with the coyote after you shoot it?  Permits required?  What area do you guys hunt in?

What is the set up on that rifle?  Barrel length?   Optics?  

Im considering a build similar to yours.  Thinking 20inch barrel, 10x optics.....  noting set in stone at this time, trying to research it and get input.

Thanks

All you need in WA for coyote is a hunting lic, season is year-round.

Eat the meat???? No way man- on top of the fact they are scavengers, they're a canine. I've had my share of Dog when I was in Korea

I use a 20" HB Bushy, with 3x9-40 glass mounted on top. I shoot handloads, a 68Gr BTHP charged with 24.5Gr Win 748, CCI Sm rifle primers in once fired Winchester cases. They seem to do the job just fine.

You'll need to learn how to "case" skin the carcass, but Pacific Hide and Fur in Spokane used to par per pelt/ varible on condiiton. It's been so long that I can't recall prices.
Another option is that some of the Indian Reservations will allow you to hunt coyote on the Res, and they have a bounty out on them, the Spokane Res. used to have a $5 per tail bounty.

As always, ask for permission, be aware of your backstop (Especially out on in the desert), practice good safety, take along enough gear to survive out in the boonies, and have fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info.

Im not looking to eat things I may shoot.  Especially not dog.  You never know what some people do.....  What do you do with the fur?  Can you just leave the carcas there?

What can you shoot without a hunting license legally?

What other animals/ varmits do people shoot with their AR's?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

Im not looking to eat things I may shoot.  Especially not dog.  You never know what some people do.....  What do you do with the fur?  Can you just leave the carcas there?

Not sure what you mean by "shoot" without a hunting license, you can shoot without one, you can not hunt without one.
That pic was taken about five miles north of Vantage. My rifle is a desert camo A3 mostly Bushmaster build with a 20 in fluted free floated Hbar. 6x24 optic. I honestly don't know much at all about Yote hunting though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My friend has 4000 acres by Hanford, 3 hour drive from here.  He has 4-500 head of cows and calves them over there.  I usually go over there several times around the first of the year for songdogs.  I didn't make it this year. hinking.gif

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=24824

I know that ranch, small small world!hunting
I sent you an IM
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

Kind of a tricky question really-
IIRC IF you're in the employment OR have been asked by a farmer or rancher, AND the varmits are in the act of depredation (Destroying crops, screwing with livestock, then you have a legal right to kill the animal. But that's not hunting, persay, that's more along the lines of crop/herd defense/maintainance/corrective action. But it's NOT hunting....

Here's some advice I learned-
Don't be afraid to pull up to a farmer/rancher's house and ask for permission. You might get shut down a few times by folks with a bad taste in their mouth from "city slickers" putting holes in irrigation lines or peppering cattle, but if you're rspectful, use the king's english well, and generally don't give off flake vibes, you'll at least get a lead or two. Ask them if they have any varmit problems-often they do, from prairie dogs/rock chucks to coyotes. Most of the time they can also tell you the best place & times to catch the critters.l
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#18]
What is everyone using for glass on their varmint rifles?

Trying to figure out something good for an AR...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have an acog, but have been thinking about something a little more accurate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an acog, but have been thinking about something a little more accurate.

An ACOG is about twice what I have to spend unfortunatly

Rifle I'm planning out will probably be my last as I gotta get myself all squared away for school...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#21]
O.K.  well I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but the optic on my rifle is a Tasco 6x24 mil-dot, I got tired of spending so much money on gun gadgets and thought I'd give it a try, so far so good.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Any places I should read up on before looking at various models?

I got probably $400 to spend at the most in the near future...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I've done a little yote hunting. I would definetly like to do more. If anyone would like to try night hunting I have two pairs of 3rd gen PVS-7s. If you invite me you will get to use a pair. I also have Thermal vision.  I know NV is legal to hunt coyotes with & I pretty sure Thermal is legal too.

Raytheon TV
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I've never hunted before but varmint or coyote shooting/hunting for fun sounds like a good time to me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
O.K.  well I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but the optic on my rifle is a Tasco 6x24 mil-dot, I got tired of spending so much money on gun gadgets and thought I'd give it a try, so far so good.

I have read good reviews about the Super Sniper brand scopes from SWFA.  The 10x 40 is $299.
Anyone here have one or use one?  Im looking to buy a scope and this model is on my list of possibilities....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have read good reviews about the Super Sniper brand scopes from SWFA.  The 10x 40 is $299.
Anyone here have one or use one?  Im looking to buy a scope and this model is on my list of possibilities....

I have an SS 10x42mm on a DPMS .308 Long Range, I have yet shoot the thing though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#29]

I have an SS 10x42mm on a DPMS .308 Long Range, I have yet shoot the thing though.

Time for a range report!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Eat the meat???? No way man- on top of the fact they are scavengers, they're a canine. I've had my share of Dog when I was in Korea

there's room for all gods creatures... right next to the Rosarita refries and spanish rice, you know it's a good burrito when you drop it on the ground and it starts humping your leg
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I and a buddy are looking for a land owner that wants free coyote/p/g dog/hog removal.
If you know of anyone PLEASE ping me.
Willing to pay a small fee as well if propery is frutfull.
Please PM me.
Thanks.
Terry.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Ditto on Choppers request. I've gone after yotes only once, but I'd love to do it again. If a few wanna GTG, I'd go. Last trip I took a few guns, but ended up using the PSS .308. I know it's overkill for a doggie, but I like it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top