Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/28/2005 8:34:49 PM EDT
After the hurricane I finally have my power back but NO sattelite signal.

Far as I can tell my dish didn't move but I'm not 100%. DirectTV won't be able to get somebody out to check on it for about a month. I can't go that long with network TV.

I'm guessing it could be old cables or crap like that.

Anyone here an installer that wants a side job? Be glad to trade services with you on this one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:01:07 AM EDT
Your dish receiver should have a installing / setup app. which will give you the need degrees of angle and what direction to point in. All you will need is a compass, socket ranch, and a latter.

Its real easy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:44:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FL-AR15:
Your dish receiver should have a installing / setup app. which will give you the need degrees of angle and what direction to point in. All you will need is a compass, socket ranch, and a latter.

Its real easy.

Tried that route and NOTHING.

I need someone who knows what they are doing to troubleshoot this thing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:51:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 7:51:31 AM EDT by terma-nator]
The receiver has a setup program. It gives the signal strength. It will also tell you if the antenna is plugged in right. Just set the receiver on setup, and move the antenna around till the signal is strong enough.

I've set up many systems, it's easy.....

Also, read instructions when all else fails!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:40:56 AM EDT
First look at the signal strength.

If it doesn't have a signal at all, check the cable connection to the receiver and the dish.

If it does have a signal and is above 70, turn the receiver off and remove the access card. Then re-insert the card. Turn the receiver back on.

Also, sometimes the receiver has to be reset. Unplug the receiver for at least one minute then plug it back in and turn on the power.

If none of this works, you have either a cable cut or disconnected elsewhere, or the dish needs to be adjusted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:00:15 AM EDT

First look at the signal strength.

If it doesn't have a signal at all, check the cable connection to the receiver and the dish.

If it does have a signal and is above 70, turn the receiver off and remove the access card. Then re-insert the card. Turn the receiver back on.

Also, sometimes the receiver has to be reset. Unplug the receiver for at least one minute then plug it back in and turn on the power.

If none of this works, you have either a cable cut or disconnected elsewhere, or the dish needs to be adjusted.

Tried the reset first and nothing.

No signal at all, can't find one at all.

Checked the connections and don't see a problem.

Tried to adjust the dish and can't find a signal at all.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:30:58 PM EDT
Did you enter your zip code into the receiver to see what angle and direction you need?

Once you have that its just a matter of turning the dish.

If this doesn't work, call your service provider and tell them you need someone to fix it now or your going with another service provider. I bet you they'll be ready to work it out then.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:04:26 PM EDT

Did you enter your zip code into the receiver to see what angle and direction you need?

Once you have that its just a matter of turning the dish.

If this doesn't work, call your service provider and tell them you need someone to fix it now or your going with another service provider. I bet you they'll be ready to work it out then.

Did all that and again my service provider won't be able to get anyone out for a month. I don't think threats will work in this instance.

Which is why I was posting to see if anyone local was a sattelite tech dude.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:38:40 PM EDT
I know your dish needs to be pointed SW.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 5:11:05 PM EDT by IntruderBware]
I don't know your set-up but here's what I found on my own when it went down. My LNB output (the cable from the antenna) is routed to a splitter. There's actually two coax cables coming off the LNB to the splitter. From this splitter there are 6 cables going to the various set-top boxes throughout the house.

We had a lightning strike hit my neighbor's house after which all I could get on the TV was "searching for sattelite". Turned out that the lightning strike also blew out my splitter. I was able to insert a mal/male coupling and attach one of the LNB outputs directly to one of the set-top boxes, bypassing the splitter. Soon as I did this, I got a signal on that TV. I ran in this mode while waiting for the new splitter to arrive (ordered on line).

If you have a similar set up you may want to try a bypass.

Good luck !

ETA: If you don't have a splitter, see if one of your neighbors will let you swap out your LNB for a working LNB. You rs may have been blown.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:12:02 PM EDT
Thanks guys. And yes I did know it needs to be pointed SW and it seems to be correctly oriented.

I think I'm probably in over my head as it doesn't seem to be a simple issue. Could need new splitters, cable or any other number of things.

That is why I need a pro to come trouble shoot the damn thing.

Hoping to find a local gun nut who wanted to do a little trading of services.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:25:14 PM EDT
You should give it a try. I doubt it's over your head. Just pick up a male/male coupling from Radio Shack, or you can cannibalize one of your coax wall outlets temporarily. You just screw the coax comming from the antenna into one side of the coupling, then screw the coax comming from a TV into the the other side. If still no signal, try the LNB swap. The LNB is just held on with one screw. Loosen the screw and you'll be able to pull it away from the antenna, exposing the coax connections. Just unscrew the coax at the LNB and re attach to your donor LNB, reassemble, and go back and see if your getting a signal. If still nothing, well it didn't cost you anything but time.

Where are you located ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 5:42:50 PM EDT by SteyrAUG]

Originally Posted By IntruderBware:
You should give it a try. I doubt it's over your head. Just pick up a male/male coupling from Radio Shack, or you can cannibalize one of your coax wall outlets temporarily. You just screw the coax comming from the antenna into one side of the coupling, then screw the coax comming from a TV into the the other side. If still no signal, try the LNB swap. The LNB is just held on with one screw. Loosen the screw and you'll be able to pull it away from the antenna, exposing the coax connections. Just unscrew the coax at the LNB and re attach to your donor LNB, reassemble, and go back and see if your getting a signal. If still nothing, well it didn't cost you anything but time.

Where are you located ?

Pompano Beach.

And the splitter is probably good. I am getting a signal from my outside TV attenae through it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:56:31 PM EDT
I'm in Sarasota. You're a bit beyond my reach. I think if you're getting a signal through the splitter, there's a good chance you lost the LNB. You can try the swap, or if no neighbors around, you can pick one up at Radio Shack. I'd still try the bypass though. Those splitters are quirky. You could still be getting the VHF through it but not the digital signal. Hate to see you spend money, or have to wait a month on an easy fix. Sorry I'm not closer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:46:30 PM EDT
ive had problems with spliters before... comcast took two months+ to "fix" my sys...the "fix" is not back to normal speed..... it drove me nuts, after a wile the padded jackets are kinda cool. good luck....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:04:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IntruderBware:
I'm in Sarasota. You're a bit beyond my reach. I think if you're getting a signal through the splitter, there's a good chance you lost the LNB. You can try the swap, or if no neighbors around, you can pick one up at Radio Shack. I'd still try the bypass though. Those splitters are quirky. You could still be getting the VHF through it but not the digital signal. Hate to see you spend money, or have to wait a month on an easy fix. Sorry I'm not closer.

Found the problem (well one of them). Mount is loose and the whole thing moves so the registration marks were no longer true.

Getting a "good enuf" signal until I can have this thing professionally reinstalled.

Thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:19:33 PM EDT
we could tell you about the tv you missed, if you want. just kidding good to hear you sys is back up. now back to late night pay channels
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:01:33 PM EDT
Go to setup in your menu, then to signal strength. You should get a bar meter on your screen and with a pinging sound. Get a helper to look at the screen while you move the antena a little to the left and then right for the highest reading. the go up and down. when you get the highest reading you are done.

You can also use the menu to get the degrees of elevation, East/West and azmith. You first would level the verticle pole first. After using these settings use the above for fine tunning.

You can also get them on the net from DTV.

I could also come by and help you if you still need it.

Good luck,

Tom in Miami.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:49:07 PM EDT
anybody have one of those DSS signal meters like when you set up your system, they sell them for Rv'ers that move the dish a lot from camp to camp, Radio shack told me get one off the web there are like $ 45 bucks, I would throw someone a mag for AR or AK and pay for shipping both ways if I could borrow one...let me know, my dish also got moved durring the storm and I cant seem to get it re set, as a past dss signal pirate I have done every trick except re mount the damn thing to get signal >> I know in my case its the dish direction
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:52:07 PM EDT
Go to Ebay and you can get one for like $10-$15 plus shipping. You really don't need one. I have set up like fifty satalites and never used one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:37:21 PM EDT
Sorry I'm late.
I'm around 7 years in the sat biz + TV's, audio, surround, distributed, HD, etc., etc., .... (anyone need a new plasma?)

Anyway,
1st: Secure the dish tightly to the surface (lag bolts). This may put you right back on the signal, if you're lucky.

2nd: Check for voltage on the coax at the dish (the receiver will put out 13 - 18 volts DC current to the dish. Measure between the center conductor(+) and the fitting(-).) If you don't have voltage at the dish, check at the receiver. This will tell you if you have a bad receiver or bad coax.

3rd: Aiming: Mast MUST BE PLUMB! Set elevation, then SLOWLY sweep dish left to right while you or someone else listens to the meter on your TV (walkie talkie works too). You can't miss!

I get about $79 bucks per for what I just gave you guys, so please send any available firearms, precious stones, or gasoline that you feel appropriate.

Oh yeah, I really will sell you a new TV.....

Good Luck
Top Top