Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 11:24:50 AM EDT
Hey all,
The wife and I have recently decided that we may consider moving to NC in a couple years.  We're both teachers here in MD (dying to get out of this God forsaken state) and were wondering what the schools in NC were like?  I know that despite MD being the 4th wealthiest state, we have the worst retirement plans.  My grandmother used to live in Mars Hill, and now I have an aunt that lives in Asheville.  So how is NC as far as living expenses, housing, gun laws, schools etc?

Thanks fellers
Rich
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#1]
this thread may help but why look now if you are looking to relocate in a couple of years. Everything that is here and now will probably be mute at that point
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
it depends.  do you teach elementary, middle, or high school?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
We both teach music K-12.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this thread may help but why look now if you are looking to relocate in a couple of years. Everything that is here and now will probably be mute at that point

I think jmzd4 was going for "moot" but then again we might have mute buttons or something by then.
Trumpet send me an IM and I will get some info from my Ol'lady. She is a music teacher as well.

'Course, then again, I AM a trumpet player so maybe he did mean "mute"....get it?!.....never mind.  Anyway, I'll hit you up with an IM tomorrow afternoon/evening.  Im turning in for the night.

Thanks so much
Rich
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#7]
from a teacher i know,they recommened teaching in the county schools.the kids are more respectful in the county.he is a teacher in the greensboro city school system.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife is a teacher in the Guilford County system, and she is looking all the time to find a new career.  She hates it.  She had a kid last year that actually left bruises on her and the principal told her she would be disciplined or possibly fired if she reported it to LE.  I had to hold my tounge on that one out of respect for her wishes.

Their whole problem is the school administrator, Terry Grier. He is a real jerk.  I have a friend who is a school resource officer who says the principals have been told to not report crimes in the schools because of the bad press.  There was a kid at his school that was involved in a fight and ended up with a skull fracture, and the SRO found out about it from the parents.  The principal knew about it 3 days in advance and did not tell him....And then wanted to smooth it over when the SRO started talking about pressing charges....

BTW, It's hard to find the money some times, but my kids are in private schools.  I would work 3 jobs to keep them out of Guilford Co schools.

Living expenses are not too bad if you don't mind paying the 3rd highest tax on gasoline in the nation.  As far as gun laws, NC is a pretty friendly state.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife and myself moved from upstate new york to north carolina about a year and a half ago. My wife is an ESL teacher. In this State salary and working conditions vary from one county to another. That is how my wife explained it to me. The reason we moved to this state is because my wife found a position. This state is expanding polpualition wise, there are a lot of people moving to North and South carolina. There are new schools being built in most of the larger cities. My advice is to do reasearch, check out what positions are available, and where. Then go to the area you like and look around for a few days or a week. That is what we did. My wife is thinking of looking for another position, but like I said you have to reasearch your options. I don't know why your are looking to move in a few years, things are changing rapidly in terms of education in this state. In our case we made the decision to move from upstate N.Y. in Feb. My wife found a few job openings in this state, we came down here in April, she interviewed at three schools, was offered a job at one, and we moved here in July. March is when most places start posting job openings you can check these out on line. But like i said things are changing rapidly, and things can be very different two years from now. I hope this helps you .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top