Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 3:55:27 PM EDT
I am in Tampa all week tomorrow through Friday for work. Are there any must see gunshops or gear shops in the area that would be worth the drive? I am staying at a hotel near the airport.

Thanks
BR
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot Straight on 301 and MLK BLVD (near the Ford Amphitheater) is the nicest shop with the largest selection of firearms.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Google Shoot Straight Tampa  and you will get Map and Directions.. It has a 100 yd indoor rifle range.. ( PS all prices are neg.) don'y let them BS you..
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
they are selling a mark 23 for under 2k at shoot straight.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on University

Its on Fowler Ave. near the intersection w/ 22nd st

Just punch in Fowler Ave and 22nd st
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
shoot straight is the best gun shop in tampa....but the owner is a douch bag

also university gun and pawn is NOT on Fowler.......it is on Fletcher Ave, its 2 mins from my work I go often......if coming from dale mabry just take Fletcher east.....follow down fletcher for about 5 miles or so....it will be on the left hand side

go past Nebraska Ave, it will be up the road on the left about a mile and a half......if you go past bruce bdowns you have gone to far
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have yet to have a good experience at shoot straight.  The owner may be bad but the sales people are worse.  
I went into SS the other day during my lunch looking for a Les Baer thunder ranch.  I was told that they don't carry them and then he said "besides those guns are $2500"  Making a backhanded statement like I can't afford it.  Then I get "well is there any other guns you are looking at"  I said I also like Rock River .45s at which point he told me they were around $500 and he could get me one or another gun like it in that price range.  I told him he was mistaken and they are around 1700 to $2000 and the rock island guns were around $500,  He insisted I was wrong.  I told him to check his pricing and he said do you want steel or blue.  I said I will take what ever RRA 45 in the $500 price range he could get.  This wise guy comes out with a computer printout points to gun and says look $750 right here how would you like to pay for it.  At which point I looked at the sheet and said look for yourself, the gun is $1725 the .22 conversion is 750 but if you will sell me the gun @ 750 i'll take it.  He said well I made a mistake.  Terrible sales people.

I was at the orlando gunshow over the weekend and they were selling DPMS AP4 in 308 for 200+ over msrp.  I walked to the other building and got the same gun for 400 less.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
+1 on University

Its on Fowler Ave. near the intersection w/ 22nd st

Just punch in Fowler Ave and 22nd st

Its on Fletcher not Fowler.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have yet to have a good experience at shoot straight.  The owner may be bad but the sales people are worse.  
I went into SS the other day during my lunch looking for a Les Baer thunder ranch.  I was told that they don't carry them and then he said "besides those guns are $2500"  Making a backhanded statement like I can't afford it.  Then I get "well is there any other guns you are looking at"  I said I also like Rock River .45s at which point he told me they were around $500 and he could get me one or another gun like it in that price range.  I told him he was mistaken and they are around 1700 to $2000 and the rock island guns were around $500,  He insisted I was wrong.  I told him to check his pricing and he said do you want steel or blue.  I said I will take what ever RRA 45 in the $500 price range he could get.  This wise guy comes out with a computer printout points to gun and says look $750 right here how would you like to pay for it.  At which point I looked at the sheet and said look for yourself, the gun is $1725 the .22 conversion is 750 but if you will sell me the gun @ 750 i'll take it.  He said well I made a mistake.  Terrible sales people.

I was at the orlando gunshow over the weekend and they were selling DPMS AP4 in 308 for 200+ over msrp.  I walked to the other building and got the same gun for 400 less.

+1

I was offered a job there, declined after I saw what else they hired.  People I know have taken jobs there that know little about firearms, after working at another unnamed shooting establishment for not that long(He was fired after 7 months from Shoot Straight).  Some employees think they know, which is equally dangerous IMO as an ape with a loaded gun.  They mark up nearly every item in their inventory by $200 over MSRP.  

Decide on your own.  They do have a vast stock of firearms and the place is very clean and well done.  Ammo prices are about average for retail last I looked, lots of Wolf if that crap is what you're into.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Dammit! I always get those two mixed up!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate all the posts with regard to gun shops etc in the Tampa area. Unfortunately, my work kept too busy to take advantage of the opportunities.

Sill, I will be suredly be back and hopefully have more time.

Again Thanks!

BR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top