Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/8/2007 2:55:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 2:55:43 PM EST by Bladerunner]
I am in Tampa all week tomorrow through Friday for work. Are there any must see gunshops or gear shops in the area that would be worth the drive? I am staying at a hotel near the airport.

Thanks
BR
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:35:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:50:13 PM EST
Shoot Straight on 301 and MLK BLVD (near the Ford Amphitheater) is the nicest shop with the largest selection of firearms.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:33:20 PM EST
Google Shoot Straight Tampa and you will get Map and Directions.. It has a 100 yd indoor rifle range.. ( PS all prices are neg.) don'y let them BS you..
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:02:39 AM EST
they are selling a mark 23 for under 2k at shoot straight.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:10:26 AM EST
+1 on University

Its on Fowler Ave. near the intersection w/ 22nd st

Just punch in Fowler Ave and 22nd st
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:47:25 PM EST
shoot straight is the best gun shop in tampa....but the owner is a douch bag

also university gun and pawn is NOT on Fowler.......it is on Fletcher Ave, its 2 mins from my work I go often......if coming from dale mabry just take Fletcher east.....follow down fletcher for about 5 miles or so....it will be on the left hand side

go past Nebraska Ave, it will be up the road on the left about a mile and a half......if you go past bruce bdowns you have gone to far
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:22:13 PM EST
I have yet to have a good experience at shoot straight. The owner may be bad but the sales people are worse.
I went into SS the other day during my lunch looking for a Les Baer thunder ranch. I was told that they don't carry them and then he said "besides those guns are $2500" Making a backhanded statement like I can't afford it. Then I get "well is there any other guns you are looking at" I said I also like Rock River .45s at which point he told me they were around $500 and he could get me one or another gun like it in that price range. I told him he was mistaken and they are around 1700 to $2000 and the rock island guns were around $500, He insisted I was wrong. I told him to check his pricing and he said do you want steel or blue. I said I will take what ever RRA 45 in the $500 price range he could get. This wise guy comes out with a computer printout points to gun and says look $750 right here how would you like to pay for it. At which point I looked at the sheet and said look for yourself, the gun is $1725 the .22 conversion is 750 but if you will sell me the gun @ 750 i'll take it. He said well I made a mistake. Terrible sales people.

I was at the orlando gunshow over the weekend and they were selling DPMS AP4 in 308 for 200+ over msrp. I walked to the other building and got the same gun for 400 less.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:03:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By Saginaw79:
+1 on University

Its on Fowler Ave. near the intersection w/ 22nd st

Just punch in Fowler Ave and 22nd st

Its on Fletcher not Fowler.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:15:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By wwIIBuff:
I have yet to have a good experience at shoot straight. The owner may be bad but the sales people are worse.
I went into SS the other day during my lunch looking for a Les Baer thunder ranch. I was told that they don't carry them and then he said "besides those guns are $2500" Making a backhanded statement like I can't afford it. Then I get "well is there any other guns you are looking at" I said I also like Rock River .45s at which point he told me they were around $500 and he could get me one or another gun like it in that price range. I told him he was mistaken and they are around 1700 to $2000 and the rock island guns were around $500, He insisted I was wrong. I told him to check his pricing and he said do you want steel or blue. I said I will take what ever RRA 45 in the $500 price range he could get. This wise guy comes out with a computer printout points to gun and says look $750 right here how would you like to pay for it. At which point I looked at the sheet and said look for yourself, the gun is $1725 the .22 conversion is 750 but if you will sell me the gun @ 750 i'll take it. He said well I made a mistake. Terrible sales people.

I was at the orlando gunshow over the weekend and they were selling DPMS AP4 in 308 for 200+ over msrp. I walked to the other building and got the same gun for 400 less.

+1

I was offered a job there, declined after I saw what else they hired. People I know have taken jobs there that know little about firearms, after working at another unnamed shooting establishment for not that long(He was fired after 7 months from Shoot Straight). Some employees think they know, which is equally dangerous IMO as an ape with a loaded gun. They mark up nearly every item in their inventory by $200 over MSRP.

Decide on your own. They do have a vast stock of firearms and the place is very clean and well done. Ammo prices are about average for retail last I looked, lots of Wolf if that crap is what you're into.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:27:54 PM EST
Dammit! I always get those two mixed up!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:57:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 2:00:41 PM EST by ironrain]
height=8
Originally Posted By wwIIBuff:

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:15:06 PM EST
I appreciate all the posts with regard to gun shops etc in the Tampa area. Unfortunately, my work kept too busy to take advantage of the opportunities.

Sill, I will be suredly be back and hopefully have more time.

Again Thanks!

BR
Top Top