Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 2:15:58 PM EDT
Well, I found out the good news yesterday- there is a brand spankin' new Rock River M4-gery with my name on it.  I've got a training course and quals next week.

Anyone here ever taken the OPOTA patrol rifle course that can give me the heads up on what to expect in terms of distance of shots?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Patrol rifles here since 1991. 50 yards is max. range for OPOTA qual.  
Good you're getting them down there.
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Patrol rifles here since 1991. 50 yards is max. range for OPOTA qual.  
Good you're getting them down there.
Stay safe.

50 yards, eh?  Our standards for the pistol course are higher than the OPOTA standards, so I imagine we'll have a tougher rifle course as well.

I'm still blown away that we are actually getting AR's.  From what I heard they had second thoughts, but the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina sealed the deal.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Stage one of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 20ft - 12 rounds (2 rounds per command)

Stage two of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 30ft - 12 rounds (3 targets-4rounds ea.)

Stage three of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 30ft - 12 rounds (Barricade - 3 rounds on 4 targets)

Stage four of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 75ft - 12 rounds

Stage Five of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 150ft (50yds) - 12 rounds
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Stage one of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 20ft - 12 rounds (2 rounds per command)

Stage two of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 30ft - 12 rounds (3 targets-4rounds ea.)

Stage three of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 30ft - 12 rounds (Barricade - 3 rounds on 4 targets)

Stage four of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 75ft - 12 rounds

Stage Five of Assault Rifle/Carbine qual course is 150ft (50yds) - 12 rounds

Thanks.  Does stage 3 involve the usual standing/kneeling pattern?  I've never shot a rifle right handed before...should be interesting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]
No. If I remember right stage 3 does not say you must shoot right or left handed. Also don't think it says any thing about alternate shooting position(kneeling/standing) unlike the pistol SPOs
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, we have the quals tomorrow, and our course is 80 rounds.  Furtherest distance is 150 yards.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess the state assumed most departments don't have access to 150 yrd range, that  would be nice...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I teach it, does that count?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:23:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I teach it, does that count?  

It does, but since I qualified with the rifle yesterday, I don't have any more questions.

Worst possible weather to be outside all day shooting.  40 degrees and heavy rain.  Its a miracle I'm not sick as a dog today.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
cold rain is never fun shooting weather.  Especially for qualifications where you stand around a lot.  The patrol rifle course is pretty easy imo.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
cold rain is never fun shooting weather.  Especially for qualifications where you stand around a lot.  The patrol rifle course is pretty easy imo.  

you think that is easy, you should see how easy requals are for a scoped rifle.

The course itself is not AS easy, but the requal is a joke.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Thing is...we had a female officer who failed it.  The longest shot on our quals was 150 yards.  Not rocket science by any means.

Also had pistol quals today.  Got a 99. On our scoring, you get full credit for "2 box" hits-to the upper torso and center of the face.  You get half credit for "1 box hits", which is essentially the stomach, and outside of the chest.  I've been told that the OPOTA certification gives you full credit for hitting ANYWHERE on the silhouette.  Can anyone verify that?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#13]

only what is on the inside of the outline is scored.  If you shoot outside of that area it's not scored.  Also it should be pass/fail not scored.  That's a whole discussion in itself.  The thought is if you keep scores an attorney could come in and say well if so and so shot a 99 out of 100 why didn't he just shoot my client in the leg if he's that good.  Anyways off topic.  

Again only what is center mass/inside of the center outline is counted as a hit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:37:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.speedwelltargets.com/ohpt.gif

only what is on the inside of the outline is scored.  If you shoot outside of that area it's not scored.  Also it should be pass/fail not scored.  That's a whole discussion in itself.  The thought is if you keep scores an attorney could come in and say well if so and so shot a 99 out of 100 why didn't he just shoot my client in the leg if he's that good.  Anyways off topic.  

Again only what is center mass/inside of the center outline is counted as a hit.

In answer to the lawyer, I'd say:  Because if I were shot in the leg, I could still fire a gun at someone.   Has anyone heard if the trooper who shot the guy after wrestling with him has been sued yet?  I thought having cruiser cameras would cut down on crap like this.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top