Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2003 11:29:45 PM EDT
Anyone who builds/has built a FAL in the area?

Want to get mine done before the 1st of the year. Maybe hook up with another FAL builder and make sure I don't fuck anything up.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a guy I saw at one of the WAC shows a while ago. Looked like nice work. Coyote Gulch or something like that is the name, I think.

I need to put one together, but still need some parts and not sure how long it will be before I get them. I haven't bought all tools yet either. Only tool I have is the buttstock tool.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There was a guy I saw at one of the WAC shows a while ago. Looked like nice work. Coyote Gulch or something like that is the name, I think.

I will second that...The rifles he built were looking pretty good. Made me think I should be gathering parts up...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I've got a park tank w/ heater, a receiver wrench (currently set up for type 1 or 2 receivers), headspace gages and a buttstock removal tool. All we would need is a locking shoulder gage, barrel vise and the parking chemicals. After I get the type 1 receiver installed on my STG-58 kit, it can be modified (with dremel) to handle type 3. And for those that might care, G3 (HK91) building is in my future as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, I've got a park tank w/ heater, a receiver wrench (currently set up for type 1 or 2 receivers), headspace gages and a buttstock removal tool. All we would need is a locking shoulder gage, barrel vise and the parking chemicals. After I get the type 1 receiver installed on my STG-58 kit, it can be modified (with dremel) to handle type 3. And for those that might care, G3 (HK91) building is in my future as well.

Hey Headpulper, have you done any parking in that tank yet? Just wondering how it went if so.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey Headpulper, have you done any parking in that tank yet? Just wondering how it went if so.

No, I haven't used it yet.  I've been to busy with projects around the house, brewing beer, and then there was hunting last weekend. So I haven't gotten to it yet.  I've read a lot about the process and feel it shouldn't be a big deal.  Sometime in the next few months I'll get around to trying it out since I have several projects that require it.  But, if there is to be a pooling of resources to build FALs, I can reprioritize.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:32:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been to busy with projects around the house, brewing beer,

Now there is a hobby I need to look into!

We discussed doing this before and it kinda sputtered out.  I would like to build one too but have no clue even where to start.  We need a place with a decent sized shop, bigger than the well-house at the whiskey ranch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've read a lot about the process and feel it shouldn't be a big deal.

Park is pretty fool proof, how do you intend to prep the metal beforehand?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I see FAC has a "sale"

Imbel recievers  $209
Who knows who made it receivers $129
"coonan" receiver $199

STG58 Kit $349

Plus assorted usa made parts to make it 922(r) compliant.

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a guy at most of the WAC shows, seems pretty cool, who used to build FALs, or maybe still does.

He's the guy with the AutomatKalishnikov and Tommy FALFiger Tshirts.  Might talk to him.

I looked into it but decided against building... and can't afford to buy, so no FALs for me.  Boo Hoo.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I see FAC has a "sale"

Imbel recievers  $209
Who knows who made it receivers $129
"coonan" receiver $199

STG58 Kit $349

Plus assorted usa made parts to make it 922(r) compliant.

Yeah, I'm thinking Coonan for my Izzy. I've heard good things about them, but I haven't heard much bad about Imbels either...  lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top