Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/26/2009 5:37:34 AM EST
Wondering how common this is in the area. At the beginning of the summer I purchased a dual sport motorcycle for recreational fun and 50 mpg city fuel efficiency. It opens up all kinds of possibilities for zombie evasion!! Now I need an AUG side scabbard to complete it...

Anybody else? Pictures are required, dammit!

The picture looks like I live all messy like. I'm trying to dig out the side of the hill to make a turn around and parking area in the back yard for the KLR. At the same time, I'm trying to figure out where to put all kinds of stuff in an area that has no flat ground and a sorry excuse for a porch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 1:25:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2009 1:29:03 PM EST by Dirt_Devil]
Me I have an 2006 KLR-650, Just rode to cape hatteras North Carolina yesterday.

Did a 250 mile round trip even dropped the air in the tires and played on the beach!
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 4:04:31 AM EST
I owned a Honda XR250 Dual Sport when I lived in Australia. Took that thing all over the desert. Haven't had a bike (other than the kids Z50) since coming back in 2001. I'd love to get one again, but the wife hates the idea of me commuting on one in DC traffic (like she knows I would do)
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 8:16:29 AM EST
I ride a F650GS all over the valley
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 7:07:15 PM EST
Very nice, Dirt Devil. I may someday be ridin' around on a BMW instead of the KLR. Time will tell
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:36:12 AM EST
That is a great looking bike! Resembles the military's KLRs.

I have been intending to buy a used 650 dual sport that i hope to someday use to ride the TAT before it disappears.

My preference (in order) is for a:

1st Suzuki DR650 1998-2007

2nd Honda XL/XR 650 (confess I do not know that much about them other than they are tall; I am 6'2", 185 lbs). or

3rd KLR 650

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By Dirt_Devil:
Me I have an 2006 KLR-650, Just rode to cape hatteras North Carolina yesterday.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww317/THETARDIS1980/OREGONINLETFISHINGCENTER.jpg

Did a 250 mile round trip even dropped the air in the tires and played on the beach!

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:32:04 AM EST
I may be a bit biased... but if you want to focus more on offroading the KLR should stay 3rd. Maybe the Suzuki and the Honda have just as many quirks as the KLR, I dunno. But the KLR weighs 430 pounds or so road ready and is REALLY tall, there are a number of things that almost always break on the KLR that Kawasaki didn't fix for 20 years. The shifter pedal breaks, the balancer idle lever (referred to as the doohickey) breaks regularly and must be repaired, and the list goes on a little.

The Suzuki and the Honda are certainly more fun to ride, but they also are not watercooled. I really wanted the longevity of a watercooled engine in my dual sport. I just hate that it comes at the cost of 430 pounds.

Really, an easy way to decide might be to drop by the dealership and see which one ACTUALLY STOCKS PARTS and which staff can convince you that they have the best service. My KLR's clutch cable broke a couple weeks ago and no Kawasaki dealership (6 of them) within 60 miles had one in stock on a bike that was made the same exact way for 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 6:03:07 AM EST
Thanks for your insight! I appreciate the honesty about what breaks on the KLR - that is just the info I needed.

I helped pay my way through college working in a motorcycle & scooter repair shop in Oregon & I later raced road bikes in WERA & AMA/CCS for 10yrs in the 90s so I can fix what breaks - BUT I did not know WHAT breaks on which bike. I live very close to Coleman's "power sports" dealership in Falls Church if need be, but I used to just mail order the factory parts I needed since it was cheaper that way.

One of my race bikes was the 1st generation air-cooled Suzukis (an 86 GSXR750) and Suzuki seemed to master air/oil cooling; the motor shot jets of oil at the undersides of the pistons. A side effect was: that motor was bulletproof and long-lived, even after what we did to them.

But, I have never owned single cylinder bikes or off-road machines & know that they are a whole different animal. Guess I will lean more towards the GS (there seem to be lots of these available) or the Honda (not many for sale & dealers rarely stock them. Odd). Thanks again,

CBR

Originally Posted By MaverickH1:
I may be a bit biased... but if you want to focus more on offroading the KLR should stay 3rd. Maybe the Suzuki and the Honda have just as many quirks as the KLR, I dunno. But the KLR weighs 430 pounds or so road ready and is REALLY tall, there are a number of things that almost always break on the KLR that Kawasaki didn't fix for 20 years. The shifter pedal breaks, the balancer idle lever (referred to as the doohickey) breaks regularly and must be repaired, and the list goes on a little.

The Suzuki and the Honda are certainly more fun to ride, but they also are not watercooled. I really wanted the longevity of a watercooled engine in my dual sport. I just hate that it comes at the cost of 430 pounds.

Really, an easy way to decide might be to drop by the dealership and see which one ACTUALLY STOCKS PARTS and which staff can convince you that they have the best service. My KLR's clutch cable broke a couple weeks ago and no Kawasaki dealership (6 of them) within 60 miles had one in stock on a bike that was made the same exact way for 20 years.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 10:56:29 AM EST
If you're looking for info on the KLR, go to http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 2:34:44 PM EST
I have a 2004 DR650, currently in motard trim. My original wheels have Pirelli MT-21s on them.

http://home.earthlink.net/~devildawgracing/DR650race.jpg
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 7:29:01 AM EST
Very nice, USMC. A rode a DRZ in the motorcycle class and compared to the KLR it felt like riding a bicycle. It was definitely enjoyable and I'd like to get one eventually.

That said, this motorcycle may end up getting me killed, and in a different way than most anticipate. Last night I was getting bored and didn't want to do the beer drinking thing that my friends like to do. So I grabbed a blanket, some pop tarts, my hydration pack, and hopped on the bike and picked a direction to go. Eventually I stopped at a gas station and grabbed a couple WV maps to help me not get too lost. I found a cool little road where I took the bike down to the edge of Rich Creek. When I turned around there was a fellow biking down the top of the path (this is at 10:30 at night, BTW). I stop and say hello, he looks like a high schooler. He asks my name and I oblige him, and he offers up some trail/camping/etc suggestions. I kind of tell him I'm just driving around for the sake of driving around. No destination in mind. I say peace out and leave.

I eventually ended up on a dirt/gravel road that went through some very deep WV back country and mountains. To give you an idea of how off the beaten path it was, I came across one person. This is where it gets interesting:

There were plenty of hairpin, deep sloping turns on this road as it tried to climb a mountain. I had to take these turns at roughly 5 mph. When I came around one of them, a guy in a cowboy hat and duster is walking his horse in the middle of the night, and he immediately reaches for his revolver on his hip and shields his eyes from my brights. I turned the brights off pretty much immediately. I could tell fairly well that he wasn't being hostile to me, just was unsure. I ended up pulling up right next to him and shutting the engine off to try not to intimidate his horse. As soon as I turned the engine off I saw the beer in his hand, and when we started talking I noticed he was drunk. So yippee, a drunk armed dude walking his horse out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. And my pistol was 3 buttons, a zipper, a velcro strip, and another zipper away (the steps to open my jacket when the waterproof liner is in). I didn't get the impression that he was actually hostile, so I didn't bother just leaving. We continued on the discussion and he told me about how he was in Vietnam and he lives out here because he dislikes people and he just wants to walk his horse. I complimented his horse and said I understood his reasons for being reclusive. He then offered me some marijuana. Oh great... drunk, high, armed, in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night. At that point I had to get away. I told him "hooray for living in a free country, right?" with a little bit of a laugh. That got a good laugh out of him and he went on an anti-government tirade that was a bit radical coming from his mouth... but I agreed with most of it. I shook his hand to say g'bye and he said he was going to walk his horse for another 40 or 50 miles that night. And off I went.

After that encounter, I pretty much need to find someone else in the area that can go riding with me. Or just complete my AUG side scabbard to mount on the side of the bike and help my odds a little

I stopped at a local war memorial and wondered if any of the guy's friends were honored there. I crashed a party near a river without wanting to, etc.

All in all, big fun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:04:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
I have a 2004 DR650, currently in motard trim. My original wheels have Pirelli MT-21s on them.

http://home.earthlink.net/~devildawgracing/DR650race.jpg

Impressive! I remember you guys - you also fielded a WERA Endurance team; I ended my career racing WERA Endurance (I was the red-flag 1/2 way through the 1999 Road Atlanta 6 hour - after that crash I went blind in one eye temporarily & broke my tailbone). I really miss racing/riding though.

I guess I am leaning more towards the Suzuki 650 over the Honda 650 since I really liked & trust the reliability of Suzuki products & the bike seems easy to ride (big consideration if I want to ride coast to coast).
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:07:43 AM EST
I'm looking to get an Aprilia 650 Motard or KTM 650 I'm more of a street biker though
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:27:10 AM EST
I have a KLR 650 but I live in Fairfax County, and I've found that the bike is nearly useless as a dual sport around here. There's simply no where to (legally) go to utilize the off-road nature of the bike, within say 60 miles. I'm no stranger to long distance riding, but that bike just isn't comfortable to me for even 60 miles.

As a side note, the BMW F650 GS is simply an overpriced version of the KLR650. It doesn't do much better than the KLR, especially when compared to the redesigned KLR (updated in 2007 IIRC).
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:21:54 AM EST
Good info guys! Keep it coming.

I can't suggest trails in the area from experience. But, have you looked at the "ADV Rider" forum? (google for site) - it seems to have lots of off-road trails in all parts of the US - especially for those with a GPS.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 10:57:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By JoeyStalin:
I have a KLR 650 but I live in Fairfax County, and I've found that the bike is nearly useless as a dual sport around here. There's simply no where to (legally) go to utilize the off-road nature of the bike, within say 60 miles. I'm no stranger to long distance riding, but that bike just isn't comfortable to me for even 60 miles.

As a side note, the BMW F650 GS is simply an overpriced version of the KLR650. It doesn't do much better than the KLR, especially when compared to the redesigned KLR (updated in 2007 IIRC).

Nowhere that you know of....I have a number of private properties I have access to, I just can't bring anyone with
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 2:39:04 PM EST
I'm in! If you are in NOVA let me know!

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:03:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By ProjectNick:
Originally Posted By JoeyStalin:

Nowhere that you know of....I have a number of private properties I have access to, I just can't bring anyone with

Congratulations?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:33:36 PM EST
I'm in Virginia Beach.

TYCOM

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:10:51 AM EST
Nice bike What kind of tires are they? I am looking for a new set.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:19:10 PM EST
I'm a little surprised at the number of KilLeRs in this thread...

I like
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:46:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By TYCOM:
I'm in Virginia Beach.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/4711/klr2008rightix6.jpg

TYCOM

You didn't buy that used, from a DC cop, didja?
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:07:48 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:19:58 AM EST
Lots of DS riders - may want to look at ADVRider . com for rides. I'll be at the Shanendoah 500 in a few weeks - up and around Natural Chimney. A great weekend - look into it for next year. Roughly around 250 riders - regularly sells out. Besides a few planned rides, I "exercise" my Husky ('07 TE 510) in and around the UR campus.
Top Top