Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:33:41 PM EST
I am getting back in it after several years absent from the hunt. I just wanted to know what I might have missed in technique and gear since stepping out for a break. On a side note I am seriously considering something different like the
Knight TK-2000 for a little extra fun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:22:37 AM EST
I hunt them with a .22,but basically just to kill them as nuisance critters,not really for sport.
They harass my chickens and pull up my seedling corn and herbs,so killing them is a pleasure.
I use an owl and some crow decoys,along with a caller to bring them in.
As with pretty much everything else,my best hunting is actually from a tree stand. I haven't tried ground blind hunting yet.

I'd love to hear any tips that folks have.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:04:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 10:07:27 AM EST by richlcampbell]
I like hunting them the same as other varmint hunting in fall. Groundhog hunting hasn't produced much in the last few years, so I use the same calibers on crow. I use a couple of T/Cs in 17 HMR, 17 Rem, 22-250, and 220 Swift with bipod or off portable rests. If the shot is 150 yard or less, I use the HMR, and anything higher I use the centerfire calibers. No preference on the centerfires, just what I feel like taking out.

I have the parts for a 204 Ruger AR upper, just need to find a gas block to fit the big barrel and finish it off. That will be a fine varmint rig.

They swarm around what I call sand briers in the fall, and also cause this nuisance weed to spread. I just wait for them to come in their flocks off/on during the day.
Top Top