Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 8:25:10 AM EDT
I've never done it, but I'm going to give it a try in a couple of weeks.  

I ordered some surplus snow camo from sportsmans guide.

I'll be using a 24" bushmaster varminter with a 6-24 x 42 scope.  I havent decided what ammo to use yet.

I'm going with some friends from work, one of them has a farm near Lester Prairie and he's seen a lot of them.  

Any advice for a newb?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out Predator Masters website, and look around there for a bit... you'll find plenty of info on how to hunt up those 'yotes.... I'm a newb to coyote hunting myself, but I have managed to howl up a couple of 'em. Haven't got a shot at 'em yet, but we saw them coming in to our calls!

The surplus snow camo should serve you pretty well. I was out playing in mine this past weekend.

Good luck!

-Josh-
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the Hornady 55 VMAX, I have recieved some good results from it, XM193 works good too!!!

Just make sure you dont make any extra noise, use your camo and make sure you got any smelly shit on

Remember, They can hear, smell and see damn near better than anything on the planet
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've never done it, but I'm going to give it a try in a couple of weeks.  

I ordered some surplus snow camo from sportsmans guide.

I'll be using a 24" bushmaster varminter with a 6-24 x 42 scope.  I havent decided what ammo to use yet.

I'm going with some friends from work, one of them has a farm near Lester Prairie and he's seen a lot of them.  

Any advice for a newb?

Make sure you're downwind of where you hope to get them.  I've never really had a problem with them seeing me, even though I generally only wear a camo field jacket and hat.   The wind shifts, however, and they are flat out gone.   I called a couple into perhaps 250 yds last weekend, but couldn't get a clean shot because of some trees/brush in the way.   A breeze came by, and about twenty seconds later, when it got to them, they bolted.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I got this coyote during deer season. It came out of some tall weeds just as I was getting ready to leave my blind. Probably why I didn't see many deer.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/344318.jpg

Often they will try to get downwind of you. Also, watch for birds that go flying. A couple of times I could track the progress of a coyote by watching the pheasants flying away from it.

Good luck, and let us know how you did.

Rick in MN
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I forgot, get a wounded rabbit call.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I was younger I was out in the Minnesota River bottoms with my BB Gun, and was fiddling around with a wounded rabbit call.  I heard some rustling in the bushes about 50 yards out when a little red fox flew out from this large bush running straight at me.  Without thinking I put my leg out in front to block it.  It just kept running at me and its head slammed into my boot, the little fox looked up at me, had a brief moment of "Oh Shit" eyes and took off running.  I let the cute little bugger go.  I don't know who freaked out more, him or me...  I then realized it likely wasn't too smart to be using a wounded rabbit call when you're only armed with a BB gun.  I might have encountered something larger (like the cougars that reportedly sometimes travel up & down the river flats).

I'd like to someday try my hand at coyote hunting, but I've got to have time & $$ to do that (not to mention an operable AR-15).

You should bring that wounded rabbit call to the bars, Mat.  Maybe the foxy chicks will be all over you!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Coyotes have perfect sight, hearing and smell.

Find an area you wish to hunt and make sure you're downwind.  Heck, I smoke a cigar downwind when I deer hunt - doesn't seem to affect my success.

If you wanted to get all fan-dangled, you could get an electronic call with a remote.  Set the call in the middle of the field and trigger it from your position.

RS
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If you really want to have fun, drive them like deer in the farm country. Set posters over looking the fields and send drivers with fast handling carbines through the shelter belts. The yotes will barrel ass out of the belts in front of the drivers and give some one set up with a weapon like yours ample opportunity to roll one over on the run. "All ya gotta do is make em leak"
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the guys has an electronic call.  We're going to put a stuffed scented animal with a motorized ball in it that will make it flop around.  Hopefully this will work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One of the guys has an electronic call.  We're going to put a stuffed scented animal with a motorized ball in it that will make it flop around.  Hopefully this will work.

It should work just fine.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#12]
What happened to the days of throwing a gut pile out in the middle of a dark field, parking about 50 yards away with a lawn chair and your favorite beverage.  Then about every 15 minutes, turning on the headlights and blasting away?

Oh, wait, that's one of my "stupid hunting" stories.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What happened to the days of throwing a gut pile out in the middle of a dark field, parking about 50 yards away with a lawn chair and your favorite beverage.  Then about every 15 minutes, turning on the headlights and blasting away?

Oh, wait, that's one of my "stupid hunting" stories.

Sounds like North Dakota style of hunting coyotes,  a mix of live and dead chickens works good too
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#14]
shotguns with buckshot work well on the swamp drives and thick cover, It may not put them right down all the time but a ass full of 00 makes it easy pickings for the posters. Wise hunters working together makes for good hunts.  I hear the S metro is full of them this year everywhere you look there seems to be song doggies. from what i gather the boy's back home have 17 so far. last sun they killed 8 in 1 afternoon it's getting better and better Breeding time is comming up they should start moving alot more feb is prime time
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#15]
We went out saturday night for about 4 hours in a group of 7 and didnt see or hear anything.  It was reaaly windy though.  We'll try again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

a little too much like shoot'n mexicans at a temporary labor stop.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Eli75.. I got a place near Pease, MN that we're looking to hit this weekend. Interested..?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the offer, but I can't this weekend.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#19]

a little too much like shoot'n mexicans at a temporary labor stop.....

Real funny Cabrone
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Buckshot???  Well I guess if ya cant hit anything with a rifle......
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm free  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top