Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2011 8:37:01 PM EDT
Hi everyone,

I have been (ten years now) trying to restore a 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T and well I'm unable to finish the car. I put the car up for sale or trade offers. I got a guy offering to trade me a 1987 Corvette converitable. I do not know much about Corvettes and I'm at a loss here.

I know my R/T's value is higher in the end but I also know without another thirty to fourty thousand dollars to put into it I will never get the car done. The guy offering the trade restores cars and will put this car back on the road and enjoy it.

What I need to know is what problem areas should I look for in the 1987 model year Corvette?

Any good places in the area have parts cars?

This car is a driver and the paint was changed from black to red and someday I would want to change it back. The car will need a paint job but not any time soon. I would like to mod the motor from 240HP to 400HP. Any ideas?

I just want a driver and something to have fun with and go to car shows in the area. I have been looking for a Porsche 944 or 928 but I can't find what I'm looking for.

The Corvette I'm more worried about the motor, trans, rear and what parts are not being made. So if you are a Corvette guy give me some info before I make a trade that I will regret. I think if I do the trade I may ask for some cash my way.

Thanks for any and all help.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:06:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:
Hi everyone,

I have been (ten years now) trying to restore a 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T and well I'm unable to finish the car. I put the car up for sale or trade offers. I got a guy offering to trade me a 1987 Corvette converitable. I do not know much about Corvettes and I'm at a loss here.

I know my R/T's value is higher in the end but I also know without another thirty to fourty thousand dollars to put into it I will never get the car done. The guy offering the trade restores cars and will put this car back on the road and enjoy it.

What I need to know is what problem areas should I look for in the 1987 model year Corvette?

This car is a driver and the paint was changed from black to red and someday I would want to change it back. The car will need a paint job but not any time soon. I would like to mod the motor from 240HP to 400HP. Any ideas?

I just want a driver and something to have fun with and go to car shows in the area. I have been looking for a Porsche 944 or 928 but I can't find what I'm looking for.

The Corvette I'm more worried about the motor, trans, rear and what parts are not being made. So if you are a Corvette guy give me some info before I make a trade that I will regret. I think if I do the trade I may ask for some cash my way.

I can't comment on the 'vette, but if you're looking at 944s, save yourself a headache and get a 951. You will be completely unsatisfied with your 944 if you ever drive a 951. Plus the 951 body style just looks better.

951s in great shape can be found below $10k. The only issue with 951s is doing anything underhood: everything is crammed inside and to do anything it's almost certain you will have to drain fluids and remove pipes. I had one for 4 years but did not have the time and money it needed/deserved, but it was a great car. If you'd like I can take a look on Rennlist and see if I can probably find something that might interest you. I still have a paid membership over there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:12:38 AM EDT
Hi everyone,

im @ 10min N of Harrisonburg......the C4 'Vettes for the most part are good to go. but, let me say...im not a Corvette guy per say...im a Mustang guy, but i have quite a few friends who are 'Vette owners/fanatics. haha. it should have the 350 in it. 350+hp would NOT be a problem whatsoever. do a 383 stroker with heads/cam youre easily making 400rwhp if you pair the right components together. let me talk to a friend of mine who owns a dealership and see if i can send you his way or not. hes a 'Vette freak. C4 making 650+hp, Z06, ZR1....he knows his stuff. or ill just ask his opinion and see what his ideas are on the situation.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:28:41 AM EDT
so i got a quick reply from my friend. this is what he said: engine trans and rear should be solid as a rock in an 87 vette.....only problem is all the little trinkut electric bs in the dash and seats.....usually quit working and expensive to replace. but doesnt really hurt the driveabilty of it.....much better car as a driver than the porsches mentioned. as parts on them can get ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:01:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By OneGearhead:
so i got a quick reply from my friend. this is what he said: engine trans and rear should be solid as a rock in an 87 vette.....only problem is all the little trinkut electric bs in the dash and seats.....usually quit working and expensive to replace. but doesnt really hurt the driveabilty of it.....much better car as a driver than the porsches mentioned. as parts on them can get ridiculous.

Thank you. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy and get some pictures of the car. The only thing I can remember right now off the top of my head that doesnt work is the power locks. I know the console top has a problem but on one of the Corvette boards Im told it can be easly fixed for $40-$60 bucks or a new one for $260.

Yeah the dash is a concern to me since it is all digital.

I want a fun car to toy around in and have some fun. I wish I could finish the R/T but its just not going to happen.

Did your friend say how to gain the extra HP?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:06:28 PM EDT

no but its like every V8. throw some aluminum heads and a good cam with free flowing exhaust, and voila. done and done! haha i dont know what those cars were rated at but on a 302, aluminum heads alone will give you 50+hp and lose a bunch of weight. you could always look up an LT4 conversion. it was a corvette setup that was just badass. i dont know which heads for sure, but i do know if you do that, you can make a good bit of cheap, reliable, all motor power. 350's are easier to get power out of than a 302. you look at it and think hard enough it will make more. haha

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:38:08 PM EDT

no but its like every V8. throw some aluminum heads and a good cam with free flowing exhaust, and voila. done and done! haha i dont know what those cars were rated at but on a 302, aluminum heads alone will give you 50+hp and lose a bunch of weight. you could always look up an LT4 conversion. it was a corvette setup that was just badass. i dont know which heads for sure, but i do know if you do that, you can make a good bit of cheap, reliable, all motor power. 350's are easier to get power out of than a 302. you look at it and think hard enough it will make more. haha

I need to look for those setups. I think there should be a lot out there just like the Mustang. I know to make the HP I want in my R/T it was going to be a lot of money.

The Vette does need a set of pipes what kind of exhuast would you recomend?

I need to look around the area and see if there are any wrecked Corvettes and see what motors they have in them. I'm still in the thinking part of this deal and if I do get I will drive it a little until it gets to cold and then work on the small things as I go. I just like to have a good car to cruise in.

I should have kept the 70 Ford Trino Cobra 429 SCJ Drag Pack car I had. That thing was fun!!!

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:01:55 AM EDT

I need to look for those setups. I think there should be a lot out there just like the Mustang. I know to make the HP I want in my R/T it was going to be a lot of money.

The Vette does need a set of pipes what kind of exhuast would you recomend?

I need to look around the area and see if there are any wrecked Corvettes and see what motors they have in them. I'm still in the thinking part of this deal and if I do get I will drive it a little until it gets to cold and then work on the small things as I go. I just like to have a good car to cruise in.

I should have kept the 70 Ford Trino Cobra 429 SCJ Drag Pack car I had. That thing was fun!!!

there are a lot for 350s'. if it was one of the '98+ with the LS1 theres still a plethora of go fast parts available. with the 350, its basically endless! in note of the LT4, apparently it was the engine used in the '96 Grand Sports. i didnt know that. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/96-corvette.htm

B&B Bullets sound amazing. especially paired with a nice set of headers/mid pipe. they do have a drone though(according to what ive heard/read) . that wouldnt bother me though. im used to an o/r h-pipe and flowmasters on my Mustang so its loud. haha. i know LG Motorsports makes badass headers. Corsa exhaust sounds ok. Magnaflow, well, they sound good on basically anything. i dont know who makes SYSTEMS for a 'Vette or youd have to piece together a catback. you'd have to do some research. my recommendation: youtube is your friend! haha

all of that is understandable. sounds like a good plan to me!

wow. that sounds like a fun car. Drag Pack cars had fun written all over them! i love the look of the Torino's.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 12:27:36 PM EDT
.....much better car as a driver than the porsches mentioned. as parts on them can get ridiculous.

If you know where to look, the parts aren't horribly priced. Yes, if you want a brand new OEM part, expect to be overspending a ton. But there are enough people around tearing the cars apart into racing platforms or just parting out vehicles for resale that you can easily find new or slightly used parts easily. It's all just about how much effort you want to put into the car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:51:47 PM EDT
Well it looks like the deal fell through. He didnt want to part with the vette right now he may just buy the car straight out. So I may be looking for a Vette, Porsche or something really fun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:31:18 AM EDT
Okay so maybe my R/T might be sold I will know by the weekend.

So anyone of you guys know of a Vette or Mustang GT for around 3500-5000?

I found an 83 GT that I really like and its very clean from what I can see in the pictures but I dont like it for 7300.00.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:34:33 AM EDT

I found an 83 GT that I really like and its very clean from what I can see in the pictures but I dont like it for 7300.00.

any particular year GT youre looking for? ive got an '83 i bought as a project car that ive never done anything with that id like to get rid of.......i dont know if you want something that RUNS now or what, but if you want details, shoot me a pm and i can give you details. other than that, like i said, give me a year range of GT youre looking for and i might be able to put my feelers out and find you something.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:28:45 PM EDT

any particular year GT youre looking for? ive got an '83 i bought as a project car that ive never done anything with that id like to get rid of.......i dont know if you want something that RUNS now or what, but if you want details, shoot me a pm and i can give you details. other than that, like i said, give me a year range of GT youre looking for and i might be able to put my feelers out and find you something.

Thanks OneGearHead, I'm not looking for a project car looking more for a running car that I can get in and enjoy and take to some car shows. The R/T that I'm selling has more body work then I'm able to do and with my health I can't do the work myself.

The year of Mustang that I'm looking for are 80's and into the late 90s maybe even early 00's. I'm also looking at Corvettes. I have found a few but all out of the Harrisonburg area. The one Vette I've found is in Salem and the price is close to what I could spend if my R/T sells. I just don't have a way of picking the car up if I can get my car sold and a price worked out. The Vette is a 96 LT1.

I'm wanting to get involved with some charities in the area and working with the food bank. I thought about doing a Food Run (Think Cannon Ball) and doing some other things. If I get a car I would like to join in on this if not I'm still going to look at putting on some events.

I wish I could have finished my R/T.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:45:23 PM EDT

Thanks OneGearHead, I'm not looking for a project car looking more for a running car that I can get in and enjoy and take to some car shows. The R/T that I'm selling has more body work then I'm able to do and with my health I can't do the work myself.

The year of Mustang that I'm looking for are 80's and into the late 90s maybe even early 00's. I'm also looking at Corvettes. I have found a few but all out of the Harrisonburg area. The one Vette I've found is in Salem and the price is close to what I could spend if my R/T sells. I just don't have a way of picking the car up if I can get my car sold and a price worked out. The Vette is a 96 LT1.

I'm wanting to get involved with some charities in the area and working with the food bank. I thought about doing a Food Run (Think Cannon Ball) and doing some other things. If I get a car I would like to join in on this if not I'm still going to look at putting on some events.

yeah, i dont blame you one bit. im just over it. ive had it for a few years. i started working on it then got laid off, so there went that idea. and now im more into guns ;) so if i get rid of that that can "justify" me another gun purchase! haha

do you want fuel injected? or does it not really matter one way or another?

that sounds like a good idea! i like it!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:01:56 PM EDT

yeah, i dont blame you one bit. im just over it. ive had it for a few years. i started working on it then got laid off, so there went that idea. and now im more into guns ;) so if i get rid of that that can "justify" me another gun purchase! haha

do you want fuel injected? or does it not really matter one way or another?

that sounds like a good idea! i like it!

I will look at all I just want something clean and fun. I'm still hung up on the Vettes and really want one. I just had a guy make me an offer on the R/T and we are close to a deal. I have one more guy coming this week or weekend to look at it. So who knows I just want to get out and have some fun. I will pass the word on about your Mustang too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:41:59 PM EDT
thanks. i appreciate it. and another thing...i dont know how close you are to Harrisonburg or if youre IN Harrisonburg, but find a 7-11 or something and pick up the new Valley Trader. theres a few late '80's early 90's 5.0's for sale for less than $5k if you dont find yourself a 'Vette that you REALLY like.
Top Top