Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2008 8:24:33 AM EDT
I'm looking to get my first AR. Bad timing, I know. I'm interested in either a Bushy or a S&W. The even bigger problem is that I live in Jersey. That, combined with a shortage really limits me.

I was under the impression that most companies only made a few NY/NJ compliant models. This was not the case when I contacted Bushmaster. The rep assured me that any bushy can be ordered NJ compliant by simply switching out the "B" for a "P" in the model number. Anyone have any experience with this? I guess it basically gives you a fixed stock/muzzle break, and comes with a 10 round mag.

Now, is this the same for S&W? I only see two models on their site listed as NJ compliant. That wouldnt be so bad, if the model I liked didnt have an MSRP of $1700.

Thanks in advance. I found this site two days ago, and I have not stopped reading since.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=78962&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=33803&isFirearm=Y

SMITH WESSON MAKES A POST BAN COMPLIANT  AR15' you are good to go.  

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=70947&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=33803

BUSHMASTER has post ban guns also.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Besides the fixed brake and 10 round mag you cant have a collapsable stock either. The Bushmaster postban carbine basically has just about everything you are allowed to have in NJ.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Like I said before, I kinda knew all that. S&W has 2 compliant made guns and NJ law calls for a fixed stock. Thank you though. What I'm wondering is, can any S&W model be made compliant from the factory as well, if its just a few changes?

Bushmaster says they do it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#4]
get a stag, they make every model in post ban, and in my opinion they make a better gun, i have one of each.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#5]
They probably would modify it for you. Just tell them that you live here and need to have the gun altered. I don't see why they wouldn't.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
REMINGTON R-15  SOME MODELS

WWW.REMINGTON.COM   MADE BY BUSHMASTER

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/rifles.asp

ALL POST BAN
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, thanks guys. Basically I have my sights set to narrow. I guess I could choose from any of the 3 or 4 and end up with what I want. The Remingtons are both hunting models, so they're out. Being a Noob, I'm just accustom to the names Bushy and S&W. My M&P40 is a sick pistol.

Its just even more the pain trying to get a gun in jersey. The guy behind the counter doesnt want to hear about some special order unless I'm waiving $2K at him. Its like pulling teath.

I never understood why you get so many miserable gun counter dudes in bigger stores. You'd think they'd be happy to promote firearms as one of their interests.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Get both.

Or build one.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe the S&W's are made by Stag. Buy a complete or stripped lower. Buy the upper you want and mate the two yourself. If you get an upper with a bayonet lug, just grind it off. It's a lot easier then you think.

IM me if you need the any help with finding a dealer or have any other questions.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Dont forget, NO bayo lug.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#11]
STAG STAG STAG, S&W are new to the game and wont offer you anything that a stag doesnt except a much higher price point. bushy's are OK but what they offer in post ban config are pretty lame. yeah you can have a post ban made to order but you will be looking at atleast a 8 month wait. by then they might be illegal...lol. Stags are 8 weeks out from the factory because of the whole gun scare, the model 2T with the rail and Arms flip up is $907 (dealer cost) which should run you about $1000 even, the compareable S&W will run you about $1700. personally i would just order a nice RRA ($285) or POF ($355) complete lower from PK firearms and the upper of your choice and just slap them together. You'll save atleast $100 that way. you said it yourself this is your first AR, listen to people who have experience. happy shooting

some of my builds...

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
you're the man dustin

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
adrock, check your IM
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I have a few questions based on these responses.

Quoted:
I believe the S&W's are made by Stag. Buy a complete or stripped lower. Buy the upper you want and mate the two yourself. If you get an upper with a bayonet lug, just grind it off. It's a lot easier then you think.

IM me if you need the any help with finding a dealer or have any other questions.

What benefit would I have buying the upper and the lower seperate? As a noob that sounds like an intimidating option as opposed to purchasing a complete gun. Is it easier to create a compliant gun if I build it?

Quoted:
STAG STAG STAG, S&W are new to the game and wont offer you anything that a stag doesnt except a much higher price point. bushy's are OK but what they offer in post ban config are pretty lame. yeah you can have a post ban made to order but you will be looking at atleast a 8 month wait. by then they might be illegal...lol. Stags are 8 weeks out from the factory because of the whole gun scare, the model 2T with the rail and Arms flip up is $907 (dealer cost) which should run you about $1000 even, the compareable S&W will run you about $1700. personally i would just order a nice RRA ($285) or POF ($355) complete lower from PK firearms and the upper of your choice and just slap them together. You'll save atleast $100 that way. you said it yourself this is your first AR, listen to people who have experience. happy shooting

some of my builds...

Bushy said any configuration can be compliant by changing the model number. Is this considered made to order? Will it take longer? I checked out Stag's site. They don't list any specific NJ compliant rifles either. The 2T is actually close to what I'm looking for.

You also mention buying a complete lower (RRA? Rock River?) (POF?)and then choosing an upper. How does this get around the compliant thing? Are most of these brands compatible when it comes to uppers and lowers? I'm coming from sports like Paintball or Snowboarding where it's all brand recognition and marketing hype. I can definitely use some recommendations when it comes to quality Manufact.

Guys, I really appreciate the help. I hope all these questions aren't too aggravating.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#15]
What benefit would I have buying the upper and the lower seperate? As a noob that sounds like an intimidating option as opposed to purchasing a complete gun. Is it easier to create a compliant gun if I build it?

The lower has to be transfered through a FFL. The upper in any configuration can be sent directly to you so you can neuter it to NJ specs.

You could do the work yourself or send it to a pro like ADCO to do the work.

This increases your options greatly on what style upper you chose.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The lower has to be transfered through a FFL. The upper in any configuration can be sent directly to you so you can neuter it to NJ specs.

I see, so the wait time will be the same but It increases my available options. NJ law calls for a fixed stock. Could I order a complete lower half with a fixed stock ya think?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see, so the wait time will be the same but It increases my available options. NJ law calls for a fixed stock. Could I order a complete lower half with a fixed stock ya think?

I know for a fact that Bushmaster sells them. The price is high but you can always put a WTB ad on the EE here for one.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#18]
yes a fixed stock can ber ordered on most AR's. you really picked a bad time to undertake your first AR project because everyone is sold out of everything. a couple of days ago you could have gotten a RRA complete lower from PKfirearms with an A2 stock which would have been completely NJ legal. then picked out an upper that you like and had that sent to your house. for instance they had (up until yesterday) a RRA 16 M4 profile upper with a midlength troy rail for $590, add another $120 for the bolt and charging handle set up. this upper has a lo-profile gasblock that lies under the rail system so you dont have to worry about the bayo-lug. the only evil feature it has is a flash hider which is quickly remedied, simply order a troy or YHM muzzle brake and have a gunsmith permantently attach it. Paterson gunsmithing did one for me about a month ago for $35. this set up would run you about $1000. the benefit is that you pick what parts you want. as for stag, they don't list post ban complaint AR's on the website but they do make and stock them. Jerry's which is a large wholesale dealer that supplies allot of NJ dealers has them in thier catalog. the only problem you face is that the Obamahysteria has diminished supply.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I found a guy in Rockaway who owns The Silver Bullet. He claims he can get me a NJ compliant Stag model 2 or 2T in about 2 months. That's the best time frame I've been told so far. He said Between Stag, RRA and Bushy, Stag has the best turn around time for custom orders and non-typical orders. I wish I started looking over the summer. I had no idea it would be this bad.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok, well I certainly appreciate all the help and suggestions. I went to a shop yesterday and purchased a Stag Arms model 2T. Its got a Samson free float quad rail and an ARMS flip up rear site. The shop owner spoke highly of Stag. One question I meant to ask though. Are the stock extensions on a stag mil spec, or commercial?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, well I certainly appreciate all the help and suggestions. I went to a shop yesterday and purchased a Stag Arms model 2T. Its got a Samson free float quad rail and an ARMS flip up rear site. The shop owner spoke highly of Stag. One question I meant to ask though. Are the stock extensions on a stag mil spec, or commercial?

It's mil spec.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top