Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 7:58:16 AM EDT
I ordered one today with an expected delivery of a couple weeks.  I was wondering if anyone in the East or West Valley wanted to split the cost and share the thing?

You could even keep it at your house as long as I could use it a couple times per year.  If a couple of us went in on one, we could stick it to the MAN!  Ideally a 3 way split would be $33 dollars each!  A shit load better than the 99 dollars delivered that I'm paying for it.  

Help me stick it to the man and his MINI GUNS!

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that a progessive or turret, Mark?  I am definately interested, as I have thousands of rounds in a dozen calibers I want to learn to reload - just want someone to help coach me throuht the process so I avoid mistakes.  

Count me in if I can get a little help learning to reload so I know for a FACT my kids can safely shoot the ammo we turn out.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]
No.  It's just the swaging tool for removing the crimp on mil brass.  This doesn't include any of the necessary equipment to actually assemble ammo.  This thing only enables you to run mil brass on your existing reloading set up.  It's an expensive tool.

That's why I'm looking to partner with one or two guys in this.  After I do the thousand or so Mil cases I have right now, It'll be another year before I'll even use it again.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but fuck those that think they know everything.

How do I know if the brass I have is .mil crimped or not?  I have boxer and berdan primed cases, is that the difference?

I have 30-06, 8 mm, .223, .308, etc.  

How do I know if it is military crimped?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The area where the red sealant is will have a stamped, stepdown at the edge of the primer pocket.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but fuck those that think they know everything.

How do I know if the brass I have is .mil crimped or not?  I have boxer and berdan primed cases, is that the difference?

I have 30-06, 8 mm, .223, .308, etc.  

How do I know if it is military crimped?

No worries, it's a good question. Flaming not warranted...

For starters, berdan primed brass is for all intents and purposes not reloadable. Just pitch it, or sell it to a scrap yard. Same goes for anything that is not a brass case. While it is possible to get equipment to load berdan brass, it's not worth the hassle. Trivia: The Berdan priming system was developed in the US, and boxer priming was developed in Europe. Until recenelty, Europe used Berdan priming a lot, and in the US we used boxer priming. Go figure.

Here's a picture that may help show the crimping (left case is crimped, the right one is not):

Basically, you will see a flat ridge around the primer when it has been crimped.

A good rule of thumb is if it is ammo made and branded by a commercial manufacturer (Federal, Winchester, etc) it is not crimped. If it has been made by a military contractor or is clearly surplus, then it will be crimped. Case on the left has LC on it (Lake City [Federal], military contract), case on the right says Winchester (civvie ammo).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
When i reload the 5.7 i will need one.

Once you judged me, I decided that you were not a true Friend.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Isn't the 5.7 a rimfire anyway?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Centerfire dude, besides its imposable to reload a rimfire
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is not impossible to reload rimfire, just so difficult and time-consuming that no one in their right mind would do it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]
markm,

I'm interested, IM sent.

Gavino
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is not impossible to reload rimfire, just so difficult and time-consuming that no one in their right mind would do it.

Where does one buy new, unfired, rimfire brass?

What about the bullets?

The press?

I could of swore that you could not reload the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I could of have swore that you could not reload the stuff.

I've heard it's possible too.  Although you bring up good points.  I don't know how you would reprime a rimfire case.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I heard that "if a frog had a square ass and he ate mud,   he'd shit bricks"    LOL  i kill myself sometimes.

These are all excellent points.  But enough about ass.  Let's talk primer crimps.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
 A shit load better than the 99 dollars delivered that I'm paying for it.  

Why did you pay so much for it?  You could have picked it up for $81.95 + tax at Dillon and paid ~$88 out the door.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 A shit load better than the 99 dollars delivered that I'm paying for it.  

Why did you pay so much for it?  You could have picked it up for $81.95 + tax at Dillon and paid ~$88 out the door.

I don't have the time to get to that part of town.  I would have to do it on Saturday, plus it was a back ordered part.  Had I driven up there without knowing it was out of stock I really would have been HOT!

Also it's too close to where Innocent_bystander lives.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#17]
WTH is a swage?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Dillon's swager shown at the link. It helps to remove the primer pocket crimp you find on most military ammo so that you can rload the brass.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone thought about going in together on a giraud trimmer or other such low use, high ticket items?

Sorry to hijack, Mark. Your idea is a good one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Has anyone thought about going in together on a giraud trimmer or other such low use, high ticket items?

Sorry to hijack, Mark. Your idea is a good one.

No sweat.  Ideally you could rent these things at the homey Depot tool rental area!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't they make a small, hand-held reamer type tool for removing the crimp, instead of swaging it back ?

I could swear I've seen something before...  Similar to a case trimmer/mouth reamer.

If you're not doing eleventy billion cases, I'd think a hand-held tool would be more economical and efficient enough.

I may very well be wrong, but I do seem to remember seeing something like that, a few years back.

ETA: I was right, found this.....  less than 9 bucks.  Lyman Manual Primer Pocket Reamer

Little more work, but certainly a LOT less geech....  I think they make attachments too, that work with some case trimmers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm not sure if that will remove the crimp.  It say removes "rough edges".

In any case, I'd never have the patience.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top