Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 1:07:15 PM EDT
Realized spring snow goose season is on and this is the first year I've gotten my license in time. Went out on a whim today and got 3 juveniles-getting ready to clean them now. Just thought I'd ask about recipes in the meantime-and will post a pic later.

For those who might ask, gun was a Browning BPS in 10 gauge, ammo Remington Nitro-Steel BB shot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Never shot snows but for Canada geese I filet out the breast and soak over night in salt water, then dice up the breast in decent size chunks and then crock pot for 6 hours with cream of mushroom soup or golden mushroom soup and a couple packets of lipton onion soup mix and then serve over butter noodles.

#2 is pluck and soak over night and then throw on smoker for the appropriate hours.  Cut the breasts into slices and eat on a sandwich with BBQ sauce.

I am pretty simple.  Again not sure how a snow differs from a Canada in taste but that's what I got.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am pretty simple.  Again not sure how a snow differs from a Canada in taste but that's what I got.
View Quote
Me too on both counts. Canadas I usually just add some salt and pepper and put in the oven, I want to try something different with these. Googling for recipes they say the meat tends to be lighter with less blood. Soaking in saltwater now, then to the freezer until my brother in law comes up-he's a big waterfowler but has never shot snows either so we'll both eat them. I've heard of cutting them into medallions and skewering with peppers, may try that with these.

Planning to go back tomorrow-these three are what presented a safe shot with hundreds of canvasbacks in the area, I want a mature snow for the wall.

ETA-I've got to say though, it was a strange feeling not having a plug in my shotgun while shooting waterfowl and being legal that way after only hunting ducks and Canadas and needing a plug. Taking it out only adds one round in a 10 though(3.5" 12 would be the same).

Further ETA-just got off the phone with my wife. Her coworker is insisting that shooting snows is illegal. Yep. Sure. Limit of 20 per day, electronic calls and unplugged guns allowed. It's illegal all right. I hope she reports me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot hundreds of snows in the spring season.  I have yet to find a recipe I'm proud of.  They have a different taste than other geese.  It's not the horrible "carp of the sky" people say but it's not anything to write home about either.  Good luck and post up if you find something you like.  I usually go the mushroom soup route.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top