Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2008 4:59:36 AM EDT
Herald Leader Link

While I applaud police for neutralizing the situation, I can't help but be pissed about them making such a big deal over a black rifle, even to go as far to print a picture of an AR on the front page this morning.  If the guy had a Remington shotgun, a high power hunting rifle, or some kind of revolver, do you think they'd put an article in the paper about how dangerous they are? I don't think so.  Letter to the editor anyone?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I read the article to the point where the 'New York expert' discussed the .223 round traveling for miles and quit reading. Please remember, this is the Lexington Herald-Leader. Should be enough said.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I sent an email to the reporter that wrote the articles.  If it gets interesting, I'll post the results.

Neil
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The old Herald-LIBERAL is at it again, huh?  U1121
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
wow im suprised people still read that shit rag they call a newspaper

That whole day when this went down, i couldnt tell you how many times i heard them say the phrase "Bushmaster XM15 assualt rifle". When was the last time who heard any specifics on any gun used in a robbery? I was like who the hell cares what it was. He had a weapon, refused to put it down by officer, and got shot PERIOD!

Sorry for the mini-rant

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's my email....

height=8
Ms. Hopkins,

I find your article,
Expert: "He could have taken them both out'
(check punctuation)

expectable anti-gun jargon of "blame the tool, not the criminal".  I don't know when the last time I read an article regarding Vehicular Manslaughter/Homicide discussing the lethality of a "2000 Ford F-150 assault truck" over a "1986 Toyota Carolla assault car".
"...round could travel for miles" ---just like the assault car! (which could take "them both out" (by the way, a .223 is the same size as the .22 LR the Boy Scouts learn to shoot at age 8.  I would love to see an article titled "Boy Scouts- Trained Killers or Honest Citizens?")  I respect your stance as much as mine, and I know that your business is journalism, not research.  Your purpose is to incite emotion, not state facts. (Such facts as "The entirety of Kentucky, where unlicensed people may carry guns openly, and licensed persons may carry concealed weapons-has less violent crime than anti-gun cities such as New York, Washington D.C., Chicago, and L.A.)

You have certainly incited my emotion, please understand that regulating guns (factually) doesn't work (I encourage you to research it where total gun bans are in place-Jamaica, Australia, U.K.), I feel your time would be better spent explaining to the people of the Commonwealth why murderers and rapists are eligible for parole-ever. Please don't try to disarm the honest citizens from defending themselves, If criminals have big guns, victims and LEO's need accessibility to big guns to level the playing field.   If you wish to help society with unneeded death, please scrap your car-after all, it is the number one cause of preventably death in America.

Rev. Matthew Stevens
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here's my email....

Ms. Hopkins,

I find your article,
Expert: "He could have taken them both out'
(check punctuation)

expectable anti-gun jargon of "blame the tool, not the criminal".  I don't know when the last time I read an article regarding Vehicular Manslaughter/Homicide discussing the lethality of a "2000 Ford F-150 assault truck" over a "1986 Toyota Carolla assault car".
"...round could travel for miles" ---just like the assault car! (which could take "them both out" (by the way, a .223 is the same size as the .22 LR the Boy Scouts learn to shoot at age 8.  I would love to see an article titled "Boy Scouts- Trained Killers or Honest Citizens?")  I respect your stance as much as mine, and I know that your business is journalism, not research.  Your purpose is to incite emotion, not state facts. (Such facts as "The entirety of Kentucky, where unlicensed people may carry guns openly, and licensed persons may carry concealed weapons-has less violent crime than anti-gun cities such as New York, Washington D.C., Chicago, and L.A.)

You have certainly incited my emotion, please understand that regulating guns (factually) doesn't work (I encourage you to research it where total gun bans are in place-Jamaica, Australia, U.K.), I feel your time would be better spent explaining to the people of the Commonwealth why murderers and rapists are eligible for parole-ever. Please don't try to disarm the honest citizens from defending themselves, If criminals have big guns, victims and LEO's need accessibility to big guns to level the playing field.   If you wish to help society with unneeded death, please scrap your car-after all, it is the number one cause of preventably death in America.

Rev. Matthew Stevens

PERFECT
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I doubt they'll respond but I sure hope they do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Im suprised th hippies were willing to cut trees down to print there crap....I thought they just cut down trees for rolling papers!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top