Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 12:18:41 AM EDT
You really couldn't make this stuff up…

Man Fined For Littering After Dropping Tenner
Jun 12 2009 by Edwin Lawrence

A MAN who dropped a £10 note in an Ayr street was given a £50 fine.
Stewart Smith says he was at first grateful when police pointed to his dropped tenner in Newmarket Street.
And he thanked them for pointing it out to him.
But the 36-year-old, living on benefits, says that the cops then handed him the fixed-penalty fine.
Mr Smith said: “I’m living on £98 a fortnight at the moment, so £50 is a week’s living expenses for me.”
Mr Smith says he had just bought a £3 T-shirt in a charity shop, paid for with a £20 note given to him by his mum.
He said: “I came out the Capability Scotland shop with my T-shirt under my arm.
“I put £7 into my front pocket, as I was going to buy some juice.
“I thought I was putting a £10 note and the receipt in my back pocket.
“But I’ve missed my pocket, and the £10 note – along with the receipt – had fallen on to the street.”
Mr Smith insisted: “I made an honest mistake.”
The ticket gives him 14 days to pay up to South Ayrshire Council.
But he has already consulted a lawyer to see if he can fight what he sees as an unjust fine.
Formerly of Kincaidston, Mr Smith now lives in a flat in Dalrymple.
He worked at the Bed Shed warehouse at Skeldon, before arthritis in his hands forced him to leave at the end of last year.
He said: “I really thought the police were trying to be helpful, but maybe I just have the kind of face they don’t like.”
He insists he didn’t swear at the police or deliberately litter.
Inspector John Cairns of Ayr police office said: “I can confirm a male was issued with a fixed-penalty notice for an alleged act of littering on the day in question.”

http://www.ayrshirepost.net/ayrshire-news/local-news-ayrshire/2009/06/12/man-fined-for-littering-after-dropping-tenner-102545-23830155/
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
WTF !
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#3]
O F F S,
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Every right-thinking copper must despair when they read stories like this.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:14:54 AM EDT
[#6]
And everyone misses the point again.

He littered.... the fact that there was a tenner in it is irrelevant. If the cops had witnessed a deliberate deposit then they were justified. whenever somone gets done for littering, flytipping, or any other offence, it's always "an accident".

Don't recall seeing the police version of events. Betcha that the lad dropped litter (including a tenner) deliberately. Police saw it, picked up the evidence... approach the bloke, returned the tenner and then did him for the littering offence.

Turn it on it's head........ headline would read

"Honest Cops hand back tenner after man drops it in litter he chucks on the street. "

But that wouldn't sell papers

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:19:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:35:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Must have a been a slow week for revenue
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He littered.... the fact that there was a tenner in it is irrelevant. If the cops had witnessed a deliberate deposit then they were justified. whenever somone gets done for littering, flytipping, or any other offence, it's always "an accident".

Don't recall seeing the police version of events. Betcha that the lad dropped litter (including a tenner) deliberately. Police saw it, picked up the evidence... approach the bloke, returned the tenner and then did him for the littering offence.

"Honest Cops hand back tenner after man drops it in litter he chucks on the street. "

You seem to be turning into an apologist this week

Nah....... I just don't believe anything I read in the papers anymore. They only publish the sensationalist side of what's happened and never actually consider the facts.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't recall seeing the police version of events. Betcha that the lad dropped litter (including a tenner) deliberately.

Do you know many people who deliberately chuck away Tenners?

Can you tell me their names so I can follow them and pick them up…
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You seem to be turning into an apologist this week

Nah....... I just don't believe anything I read in the papers anymore. They only publish the sensationalist side of what's happened and never actually consider the facts.
Well you were quick to jump to the defence of the egg catchers earlier this week

Hell NO........ I don't defend them. But the day somone is allowed to assault somone with impunity because if their political beliefs, no matter how distateful, is a sad day.

Try going up to Abu Hamza and egging him or even a mainstream Politician like Prescott........ you'd be locked up in the clink for public order offences before you could blink, and Hookboy's politics are equally distateful.

Advocating double standards by tacit approval is not a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:29:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:41:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I heard that the reason he got the fine was because it was an English tenner and not a Scottish one..........

Tony

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Sit the fine out in jail, fuck em.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Makes you wonder what the equivalent jail time is... 45 minutes?
Soren
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Got what he deserved............. next he will think he can voice an opinion on the internet !!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyone is forgetting two things here.

1, A fixed penalty ticket is not a conviction. If you feel innocent you have a right to take the matter to court rather than pay.

2, Practically ALL offences require an element of intent. There is no way any CPS person is going to try to prove that a man on benefits intentionally threw a tenner on the ground !

Like many stories there is usually more to it than what has been published.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

1, A fixed penalty ticket is not a conviction. If you feel innocent you have a right to take the matter to court rather than pay.

2, Practically ALL offences require an element of intent. There is no way any CPS person is going to try to prove that a man on benefits intentionally threw a tenner on the ground !

This was the point I was making. Just don't trust media reports anymore....
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed - there are certain groups who dont seem to get fair coverage.......

Shooters
Hunters
4x4 drivers
Police
Immigrants ( as opposed to asylum seekers )

And many more..........

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:10:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shooters

Hunters

4x4 drivers

Police

Immigrants ( as opposed to asylum seekers )

And many more..........

3 out of 5

thats me fucked

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:41:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This whole reality thing where people deliberately throw money around because they are too lazy to throw in the rubbish bin........oh wait

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This whole reality thing where people deliberately throw money around because they are too lazy to throw in the rubbish bin........oh wait

Who said he deliberately the money away?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said he deliberately the money away?

Well if he did not deliberately drop it, then he is just another bloke who dropped a tenner, trying to put it in his pocket, THEREFORE it is NOT littering.  

These coppers deserve to be ridiculed for this insanity.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the comment.......again.

He threw the money out by mistake while emptying his pockets on the floor. Cops returned the money and did him dropping the litter. Not that hard to understand is it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooters
Hunters
4x4 drivers
Police
Immigrants
( as opposed to asylum seekers )

And many more..........

Well I cover 3 of those…
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Welfare eh? Arthritis? Can't work? I see the other part of the problem right there. 36 years old and will be on the dole til the day he dies.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Of course there is one possibility.............

Sometimes Police catch the bad guy being a cnut. Bad guy knows it and the Police know it. But the evidence has been destroyed. Well there is more than one way to skin a cat !

Scenario for you. Police stop a car load of hooded chavs. As its stopping, cannabis is thrown from the car. Car and all therein reek of it. All openly admit smoking it and laugh saying "Prove it copper". Copper knows that its unlikely to be a winner at court. And even if it was a winner, the fine would be £40 or might even be a caution.

Copper notices all four not wearing seat belts. Dishes out seat belt tickets at £40 a pop. Bad guys have been fined as much or not more as they would have been for the cannabis. The seat belt ticket is petty ( I hate them - if someone wants to endanger themselves thats their risk - should not be a ticket for being foolhardy as only their life is at risk - not anyone else ) but I digress.

I could give loads of other scenarios of a similar nature. Including the husband who regularly beat his wife but the best way to get him out of the house and into jail was via an obscure and petty local authority byelaw rather than a charge for common assault !! Petty police action ? Yes. Victim protected ? Yes. Job done ? I would contend  - yes !

Another ? Police arrive at scene of travellers setting up an illegal camp. Cannot evict and the alternative is to stand by and be laughed at. I know of several occasions where a petty byelaw involving fire regulations has been quoted, the first caravan dragged out ( by a copper taking all due care ) and the remaining travellers asked whether they want to tow the rest out or have "assistance" from the police dragging them out with a police 4x4

So, whenever I see an example of a police officer giving someone a ticket for an extremely petty motoring or byelaw offence, I always ask myself, what else occurred there ??? This model citizen with the tenner ? Maybe he was the victim of a pedantic officer. Maybe the PS who countersigned the ticket back at the station ( instead of telling him off ) was also pedantic. Maybe the process section staff who decide whether it was righteous were also pedantic and let it run. Or maybe there is more to the story ? Because when the model citizen goes to the papers of Max Clifford he/she never included the fact that if they had not being a cnut on the day in question, it might never have led to police action !

The ability to be a bastard can sometimes be used to achieve a result. And deal with the bad guy. Which is the whole point of the job !
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#34]
At a guess, you among others !! You spend a lot of time saying how ineffective police are. And how they are bastards. Well, unknown to you, very often they use bastard methods to be effective.

But then they are being petty !!

If you dont care, change the record as it seems to be stuck.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Copper notices all four not wearing seat belts. Dishes out seat belt tickets at £40 a pop. Bad guys have been fined as much or not more as they would have been for the cannabis. The seat belt ticket is petty ( I hate them - if someone wants to endanger themselves thats their risk - should not be a ticket for being foolhardy as only their life is at risk - not anyone else ) but I digress.!

I prefer this scenario…

Bored plod in Focus pulls over shiny newish 4x4 because a number plate bulb is out… driver carries bulb kit and offers to replace bulb there and then, but young twat insists on giving driver a producer…

Meanwhile, while this little charade of 'Policing' is going on, dozens of twats in their chaved up Corsa's, probably no tax, MOT or insurance and probably a dozen consrtruction and use violations tear past but are ignored.

Driver of 4x4 wonders…

Shiny 4x4 - probably got a job, worth a stop and issuing a ticket coz he'll pay up.

Chaved up Corsas - not worth issuing tickets becuase they're probably on benefits and won't pay up.

But heh!, all the bored Plodules boxes are ticked for that shift for stopping hienous crime and who gives a fuck if the cvnts driving like twats in dangerous cars are left unmollested to carry on driving like twats.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
All copper are bastards.
All cyclists are bastards.
A copper on a bike is a double bastard.

As for wotsisname getting nicked for throwing away a tenner, I really don't care too much. I haven't fully read the story and nor do I intend to.
He was probably a bastard as well.

I have plenty of other things to occupy my time and thoughts. What about you Piggy ® ?

As you will gather from my signing on and off times here, I have been busy at a certain venue on the border of Hertfordshire and Essex.

Putting in as many hours as I can to fund my 5 week trip to Brazil next month.

And Vito, plod could not give a rats ass whether the ticket gets paid !! Not once have I even bothered to check if any of the tickets I issued were paid or not. I gave them when required by the attitude of the offender and the offence involved - because it was part of the job.

Now, if I was on a percentage commission I probably would care. But I am not !!

As to insisting on a producer - very last century. If insured, the officer could, at the scene, verify it on the database. Same goes for the mot. And the Licence. So, the only time producers are given is when one of the docs is NOT on record - indicating that the naughty ( albeit meticulous car cleaning ) driver is telling the officer porkies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

As you will gather from my signing on and off times here, I have been busy at a certain venue on the border of Hertfordshire and Essex.

You're a plod dancer at a Harlow night club?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I could not dance if my life depended on it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Going for a Lady Boy Marathon then?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going for a Lady Boy Marathon then?

My wife has informed me of the implications of any shenanigans occurring. All revolved around the use of a sharp implement on my manhood.

And bearing in mind her latin temperment, I am not going to put it to the test !!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top