Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2004 8:15:02 AM EDT
OK, There is a chance my company are going to relocate me to California this time next year.

I own a Post ban AR 15 that has taken me years to put together, here is a picture of her.
With all this AWB ending talk I am just to confused.
All I want to know is,
Can I bring my rifle?
Can I shoot it?
What about my 30 round mags?

If you answered No to all these questions, then will I have to be a criminal?
Because this bitch goes where I do and God help anyone that tries to take her.
Thanks for your help,

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:35:04 AM EDT
Yup, you'd be a criminal. If you want to hang on to the rifle legally, you need to get a FAB-10 lower for it, or a single shot lower.

As for the AWB, that's the federal one that is expiring. California's never expires, and it looks as if we may have a .50 cal ban soon also he
My advice as a californian is to not relocate here, ever.

If anyone else has anything to add or if I have miss information, please correct me, but CA sucks.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:36:08 AM EDT
Beautiful rifle by the way I'd hate to see it go to waste over stupid cali laws.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:15:18 PM EDT
He's right on all counts. The magazines in CA aren't stamped or anything so they can't prove they're illegal but the gun was not registered in '99 so it is off limits. You can bring it in illegally but you're probably going to have a major case or paranoia every time you bring it out to shoot. I have heard horros stories about officiers hanging out at shooting ranges and actually checking paperwork. It could definitely be BS but who knows. My advice, if you ABSOLUTELY MUST bring it in and will not FAB10 it, is to just make it a safe queen and never bring it out publicly unless SHTF. This is all hypothetical and I would never advocate anything illegal however.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:43:27 AM EDT
Get yourself a FAB-10 lower receiver. Leave your real lower in a safe place.

A rifle built on a FAB-10 is not a Caliban AW because it doesn't take detachable magazines, so you can configure it any way you please.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2004 2:46:15 PM EDT by prdatr]
Thanks guys for the bad news. Instead of a fab 10 lower, what about this instead? http://www.fabten.com/whats_new.htm

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:00:22 PM EDT
i am pretty sure that is a no no. if you could do that every shop would sell ar15s without a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:26:52 AM EDT
There might be one option....you may want to look into fixing the magazine and or removing the pistol grip to pass Kali AW laws...I think there is a loop hole in there somewhere!
but check with the CADOJ first.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:58:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By prdatr:
Thanks guys for the bad news. Instead of a fab 10 lower, what about this instead? http://www.fabten.com/whats_new.htm



If you were taken before a court regarding such issue, I'm willing to bet that the state would use the federal governments definition of a "protruding pistol grip" which is any device that is used to rest the "web" of your hand on ("web" being the area between your thumb and index finger). I wouldn't advise being a test case.

You're only legal option here is to leave your lower out of state, and purchase a fab-ten, or single shot lower to attach that beautifully upper of yours to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:19:52 AM EDT
Well, they covered the rifle question pretty good.

Now, before you let them relocate you, make sure you get a real FAT raise, because you're going to find out the cost of living here is HIGH.
Top Top