Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2010 9:06:39 AM EDT
My thoughts on the BOD:

Performance:  I think I shot pretty well.  I'm not sure how well I did on the first stage.  At first I thought TJ was adding the times for any missed shots to our initial start times.  I made a funny face when he called out my start time and it had no time added to it.  I thought "WTF!  I know I jerked the trigger on one of those shots."  I guess they added those penalties at the end.

I headed for the bays at a half jog/ half shuffle.  About halfway there I slipped on a rock and felt my knee give.  I have bad knees and worse ankles, so I decided to chill.  I think Airone was behind me.  He was probably laughing as he saw me almost go down on my face.  Then he passed me.

Got around the side of the berms and went to the jeep to retrieve my time card.  (I got to the first stage and noticed everyone had time cards.  “Hey where do I get mine?”  Apparently mine had slipped in between the folds of the t-shirt they gave us, so I didn't see it in my bag.)  There's a little time lost.

I wasted too much energy trying to get over the first wall by myself.  Once over I shot the clays pretty easy.   I had brand new ammo I hadn't had a chance to shoot.  I watched the first two shots print about 6" low, raised my POA 6" and hit all the clays, pretty quick with no further misses.  So I got a perfect on that one.

The second wall sucked!  My arms were still drained from the first.  I gave it a shot or twenty and decided to take a breather.  I helped maybe four people over waiting for someone who I thought was physically big enough to help me.  Finally got over and helped a couple of other people with their packs.  Then when it was time to shoot, I couldn't find my ear pro anywhere.  Checked my pockets, unpacked my backpack, repacked my pack, checked my pockets, back in the pack.  People were passing me left and right...where the hell is my ear pro.  I looked for like 15 minutes and then finally found them.  They fell out of my cargo pants when I went over the wall, and landed right where everyone was climbing off the wall, so they got kicked around real well.  I finally started shooting and my sidearm malfunctioned after the first shot.  I did a tap, rack, bang and it didn't go fully into battery again.  I applied another TRP to the same result, and my brain froze...I dropped the mag thinking it was a faulty...no luck...at this point I began having a serious case of brain farts...I think I actually switched the gun to my weak hand and palmed the slide into battery with my strong hand???  I realized I had no room for anymore errors took a deep breath to get myself together and started shooting.  After each shot I had to palm the slide into battery, but I managed to get it together and make all my hits.

Third stage I had been planning on adding a small monocular to my pack, for observing and avoiding trouble in a BO situation.  Since I didn't have that yet, I threw one of my LRF's that I use for precision rifle into it.  It paid off it as was just enough magnification to ID the targets.  There was some kind of trouble with the line in front of me, they took a long time.  I gave some serious consideration to being irritated but let it go, it's not like I hadn't been having all kinds of problems.

When I hit the trail for the first lap I looked over and The Norm was starting his second lap down the blacktop at a run.  The smile on his face was priceless.  I wanted to shake my fist at him, but I had to smile too.

I managed to come up with a good way to get the keys.  Applied some duct tape sticky-side-out that I had in my bag sticky-side-out to some a cane pole and left it for the other people waiting.  The rest of my day was much like the first part lost time due to stupidity and disorganization.  I had no problem cutting the landscape timbers with my kukri and tied it to my pack.  Later as I was about a hundred yards past the stock tank, I realized that piece of lumber was no longer rubbing annoyingly against my neck.  It fell off somewhere along the trail.  So when I came to the junction in the trails I hiked back and cut another piece.  Yay!  More time lost.

The road march wasn't too bad for me.  Nightfighter and I had spent a lot of time hiking, to build up our endurance.  I caught up with and passed a few people, as well as increasing the distance with the people behind me.  I would alternate running until my knee started to hurt too bad then hike for a bit, then jog some more.  On the way back, I caught up with 223Sauce and walked with him most of the way.  The only car I had seen the whole day came driving up.  223Sauce put out his thumb like he was hitching a ride.  "There's no way they're stopping for YOU." I said. (Remember he's the bearded guy in a KILT.) The car slowed down, the window rolled down, (I half expected a shotgun to slide out followed by “We don’t like your kind around here boy!”) and I nice little old lady said “If you boys need a break and just want to say you did this thing, you can have a ride.”  She pointed to her house, “You can sit on my porch in the shade.”  At that point I’m pretty sure my mouth was gaping.  The laws of physics and societal norms clearly did not apply here.  Up was down, left was right… “Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!”  Nice old ladies don’t stop for guys dressed like this.  “We were travelling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of the imagination.  There’s the signpost up ahead- our next stop the Twilight Zone.”  After we had thanked her, I told 223Sauce, “I just want you to know I wouldn’t have stopped for you.”  He agreed he wouldn’t have stopped for himself either.
She was clearly the sort that would have fixed us cookies, hot tea, and offered a sympathetic ear as she listened to our troubles.  Thank god for nice old ladies!

To be continued...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I had trouble getting the things out of my pack I needed to complete the challenges at the beginning of the third lap.  Everything I really needed was at the bottom.  That was the summation of my whole day; general disorganization.  Here Tactical Ted, my best friend, is bleeding out in front of me, and my FAK is at the bottom of my pack.

As I was heading down the trail for my third lap I saw a few people finishing their third.  Airone came by on the four wheeler, somewhere near the landscape timbers, and warned me that a storm was brewing.  He was very cool about it and didn’t seem like he had just run 17 miles.  I assured him I had rain gear, and would be O.K.  I was a bit discouraged to hear that people behind me were dropping out.  The weeks leading up to the event I had been telling myself that my only goal was finishing.  Now that I had gotten a bit ahead I didn’t want to be last.

Not long after he left the rain started.  It came in way to fast to get my rain gear out.  I decided that with the temperatures being what they were I’d rather be soaked than sweating under a stifling poncho.  I also didn’t want to stop and slow down.  Donne3 was somewhere behind me (about 15-30 minutes I guessed [I think ya’ll took a break at the railroad timber and again after lap 2???]).  I had already noticed she was walking a very fast pace.  There was no way I was going to let that mean lady (Sorry Donne!  He he!) walk me down after she had worn me out trying to stay ahead.

I walked in the rain for a bit, then things got nasty.  The lightning started.  It got closer and closer until I saw one strike on the property.  Not only was there no delay between the strike and report, but the bolt itself looked as thick as two fingers.  I sort of walked in a squat trying to make myself as short as possible.  The lightening was hairy, but the wind that kicked up was something else altogether.  I don’t know if the people up by the building experienced it, but out on the back-forty there was some kind of freak horizontal wind shear that lasted for about 5-10 minutes.  I’ve seen rain blow sideways plenty of times, but this rain hurt!  Visibility dropped to about 20 yards, and worse I was having trouble keeping my eyes open.  The rain was sandblasting them, and sticks and debris were helping it.  The wind kept trying to shove me over, and I had to be careful of the trees overhanging the trail.  The wind was whipping them around HARD.  The main concern was I couldn’t see, and I didn’t want to miss the trail and get lost, or walk right past a challenge.  I had to walk very slowly (sorry guys I knew ya’ll were waiting on me).  I couldn’t get my tarp out of my pack, because I wouldn’t be able to hold onto it, and I was afraid everything in my pack would get blown off.  I managed to pull a light rain jacket out but it soaked through right away.  Riding bitch on an ATV didn’t seem so bad now.  Mainly I was just grumpy thinking about everyone waiting on me, because the storm and lack of visibility was making my progress so slow.

Just about the time the wind was beginning to lighten (the rain went right on pouring the whole time) I stumbled onto the challenge with the nuts and washers.  It was raining so hard I had to get down on my hands and knees to work my multi tool, and put my nose right up to the angle iron to see.

Out of the rain I hear a voice “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”  It was Timberline’s son.  Imagine how things looked from his perspective.  He’s been walking through this storm, and he comes up on a guy face down in the howling wind and rain.  He couldn’t see the challenge because I was blocking his view.  I’m fairly certain, he thought I had been struck by lightning. LOL!

I don’t know if he experienced what I did before that.  That’s his story to tell.  But his spirits seemed good.

We started walking together and the wind finally chilled out.  Somewhere along the way, the mule came up to us.  They basically told us that they were pulling everyone out and that we had to get on.  I was a stubborn ass and refused.  Partially because I didn’t understand what was going on, I thought everyone on the cart had dropped out.  (They probably told me, but I was tired.) Even if I had understood I’m not sure if I would have gone along.  I had already made this personal.  I wasn’t going to let this trail beat me.  I’d let it make me suffer, but I couldn’t quit.  Nightfighter and I had spent something like 8 weeks working up to this.  I’d lost 25lbs, started jogging again, spent a stupid amount of money on gear and ammo, and spent way to much miserable time on this trail.  Nope.  Not going to quit now.

By the time we hit the road behind the berm my knee was killing me.  The mud was making it worse, and I was starting to walk with a lumbering gait.  I stopped trying to go around mud puddles and started walking straight through them.  I wasn’t going to get any wetter, and going around just wasted energy.  We walked right past the tower and tiger pit challenges.  Providence has imbued every Texan with a right to prove himself a pigheaded fool, either through stubbornness or tenacity, at birth.  But I wasn’t about to tempt Thor with smiting my foolish ass, on one of those lightening rods.

When we got up to the building everyone cheered, congratulated us, and shook our hands.  I really appreciated that!  I was worrying the whole time that everyone was standing around waiting on us.
I took my sweet time getting out of my clothes.  That annoying mofo NF was trying to mother me again.  He get’s like that, too many years as a platoon daddy. “Do you want food? Come in and get something to drink. Sit down.  Don't worry about it everyone else is muddy.”  

“Go away asshole!”

Then he started in on me about turning in my time card.  I didn’t care; I knew I was last.  It took me forever to find my tokens, I had just been shoving them in my pockets “willy nilly” in the storm.  I don’t know how long I sat there.  It seemed like 15-20 minutes.  I figured it didn’t matter.  I had finished.

I guess he gets to say I told you so.  (That doesn’t happen as often as he says.  O.K. maybe it does.)  I think my shooting probably bumped me up the ranks.  I must have done O.K. on the 200 yd. stage and then the perfects on the other three helped.  I spent a lot of time dry firing leading up to the BOD.  I should have spent the time climbing walls and ropes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
My goals for next year are not to make stupid mistakes, and to be more organized. (This cost me the most.)  

I’ll go back on my diet today, start running and doing cardio again, and once I hit 200-210 lbs probably start lifting weights.  (It’s always been easier for me to build muscle than lose weight.)  Believe it or not, five years ago I had a six pack, muscular body, and ran 6-8 miles a day, five days a week.  The lesson here kids, is that it’s a lot easier to get out of shape than into it.  I’ve had some health issues since then, but the main thing is to stay challenged.  If you’re one of the guys who is really in shape, and finished near the top.  DON’T STOP!  Do everything in your power to stay that way.  If you’re one of the people that finished near the bottom of the pack, and you’re struggling to get into shape.  Don’t you stop either.  If you get out of breath when you run, that’s a challenge.  If your muscles hurt, don’t let it discourage you, get challenged.

Wall climbing and rope climbing…I’ve taken high/low angle rescue courses and by the time I got to the attic my arms were too tired to climb the rope.  Unacceptable!

Gear:  I was pretty happy with my gear. (other than organization) The only two things I’ll be adding are better wire cutters, and I’ll bring more of my climbing gear.

People:
Donne3 and Sfax I commented on in another thread.  Sorry I didn’t get to meet Halfast.

The cop from Wilco was always positive whenever I passed him.  I love positive people and can’t stand complainers.  Thanks for not shooting me when I yanked your wife over the wall by her belt.

The Norm was always positive, and very humble even after he got done kicking most of our asses.  Awesome job!

Viking you are faster than you look!  Where did you go?  P.S. I am however much more handsome than you.  Don’t forget that!

Jevonniespapi you and your wife used some awesome teamwork.  Sorry I didn’t get to chat afterwords.  Since you live right around the corner, definitely hit me up when we get closer to the next one.  Big K and I will be out hitting the trails at Bend and on base.

223Sauce I still can’t believe she stopped.  Sorry I had to take off.

You d-bags up in the mountains have fun.

Timberline’s son, great job.  Next time you guys come down we’ll see if we can’t work up an earthquake or volcano for you to walk in. ;)

Sorry, I didn’t get to meet/chat with more people.  I was pretty tired when it was over.  Special thanks to TJ and crew.  That was a lot of work and we all appreciate it.  Can't wait for next year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome write it up and it all rings true.  To the T.V. swim team, y'all truly embraced the suck and got after it.  I am highly impressed with the tenacity you showed by finishing in that storm.  Just think how much better prepared you will be for next year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome write it up and it all rings true.  To the T.V. swim team, y'all truly embraced the suck and got after it.  I am highly impressed with the tenacity you showed by finishing in that storm.  Just think how much better prepared you will be for next year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
HM, awesome job on perservering!!!  And to all the others that didn't give up, rock on!!!
Dude, I was hustling to keep up w LD & stay somewhere close enuf to airone to jack w him!!!

Lol!! It was so much fun!! I'd LOVE to see TJ run this 2x/yr!!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
It wasn't me that saw you go down.  I sure would not have laughed, well unless it was like a really cool swan dive or something.  
I am glad that you stuck it out.  That is when it is the hardest.  I am impressed with your finish.

That was definately "THE SUCK"....

This is a great modivator to get in shape and stay there.  It is too easy to get complacent and not exercise.

Everytime I see a Capital One commerical I keep thinking I am going to see The Viking look at me and yell "Airone, You Suck".. and Laugh!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Airone, sorry it was Lawdog behind me.  I know you two apart, I just get the screen names mixed up.  He may not have even noticed.  I didn't hit the dirt per se, more of a stumble followed by rapidly slowing down.  In the end he fast walked past me, while I was "semi-jogging."

EastTXHunter I remember crossing paths with you near the intersection in the trails, was hoping you made it back before it got wet.

I'm cross posting the results MOS posted in another thread. Added my SN and corrected the numbers.

Does anyone know the name of the guy I finished with?  IM me. I'ld like to know where he placed. Hell, I'ld like to know where everyone placed.

1. Gilmore 284 (Airone)
2. Vaught 290
3. Stainton 304 (LawDog)
4. Mooney 321
5. Parks 322
6. Wise 367
7. Raley 373
8. Rizzo 388
9. C Coale 402
10. Comparini 404
11. Wester 408 (MOS2111)
12. Davis 408
13. Kelley 418
14. Hunt 419
15. D. Rizzo 456
16. R. Pendley 469
17. M. Pendley 473
18. Pasco 476
19. Grimes 478
20. Storrie 497
21. J. Sims 497
22. Crawford 524 (Halffast)
23. Haggerty 527
24. Tomlin 551
25. J. Sims 560
26. Rather 583 (Hunters_Moon)
27. Donges 610
28. Scott 647 (donne3)
29. Britzky 669 (geegee)
30. Culberson 691 (sfax39)
31. L. Coale 719
32. Richey 766
33. Henderson
34. Jasper
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]
AWESOME AAR!!!!!  I was laughing and even read some parts to sfax...  LOL...  (he was in the middle of something else)

(you're not the first to call me mean, so no apology necessary.  )

and you know, until you two said no to getting in the mule, I didn't think "no" was an option.    they said, "there's lightning, it'll still count as a finish, get in now," and we said, "ok."  when you said no, I almost had them drop us back off so we could walk with y'all...  

man, that was a good AAR...  I'm still chuckling...  you rock.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is a list of most of the screen names that we could match together.  
Gina is really good with names, but we got a lot of first names and hard to cross without the last names on here.

1. Gilmore 284 (Airone)
2. Vaught 290 (Delta_Victor)
3. Stainton 304 (LawDog)
4. Mooney 321 (The Viking)
5. Parks 322
6. Wise 367 (AR-builder)
7. Raley 373
8. Rizzo 388
9. C Coale 402 (Timberline)
10. Comparini 404 (The Norm)
11. Wester 408 (MOS2111)
12. Davis 408 (SPEC-OPS_BRAND)
13. Kelley 418
14. Hunt 419
15. D. Rizzo 456 (Divina)
16. R. Pendley 469 (FoxyNariz)
17. M. Pendley 473
18. Pasco 476
19. Grimes 478
20. Storrie 497
21. J. Sims 497 (jevonniespapi)
23. Haggerty 527
24. Tomlin 551
25. J. Sims 560 (jevonniespapi's esposa)
27. Donges 610
28. Scott 647 (donne3)
29. Britzky 669 (geegee)
31. L. Coale 719
32. Richey 766
33. Henderson
34. Jasper (ethershark)

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Some how everyone forgot the sexy fat kids screen name

1. Gilmore 284 (Airone)
3. Stainton 304 (LawDog)
4. Mooney 321 (The Viking)
5. Parks 322
6. Wise 367 (AR-builder)
7. Raley 373
8. Rizzo 388
11. Wester 408 (MOS2111)
13. Kelley 418
14. Hunt 419
17. M. Pendley 473
18. Pasco 476 NightFighter4d
19. Grimes 478
20. Storrie 497
23. Haggerty 527
24. Tomlin 551
27. Donges 610
28. Scott 647 (donne3)
29. Britzky 669 (geegee)
31. L. Coale 719
32. Richey 766
33. Henderson
34. Jasper (ethershark)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice AAR, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell, I wish I had finished 4th...I'd be super-stoked!!!
I fumbled the ball on too many challenges & dropped one of my chips. Ended up 24th! All that upper body strength & hauling' ass didn't do me too much good since I didnt use my head!!
Been doing a lot of self-deprecating critiquing on my performance...or lack thereof!
It's ok...I learned a lot & realized i wasn't quite as out of shape as I thought I was. Hell, I was hoofin it w a mild case of bronchitis! Lol!! Wasn't gonna let that stop me!
Nxt BOD WON'T get here fast enuf!!
I've got some fun stuff I'm gonna work on, but don't want to post it out here! Gotta try to stay 1-step ahead of MADUCE!!  :D
Quoted:
Here is a list of most of the screen names that we could match together.  
Gina is really good with names, but we got a lot of first names and hard to cross without the last names on here.

1. Gilmore 284 (Airone)
3. Stainton 304 (LawDog)
4. Mooney 321
5. Parks 322
6. Wise 367 (AR-builder)
7. Raley 373
8. Rizzo 388
11. Wester 408 (MOS2111)
13. Kelley 418
14. Hunt 419
17. M. Pendley 473
18. Pasco 476
19. Grimes 478
20. Storrie 497
23. Haggerty 527
24. Tomlin 551
27. Donges 610
28. Scott 647 (donne3)
29. Britzky 669 (geegee)
31. L. Coale 719
32. Richey 766
33. Henderson
34. Jasper (ethershark)

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:18:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#15]
That was me and my little brother in the mule.  We really didn't want to tell folks to get in, but we were chatting with the TV folks and the consensus was the folks needed to get in before something bad happened.  That was apparent when we were driving to the back of the property and saw lightning strike 2x less than 100 yards away.  We felt the blast.  Scary.  

Really sorry about that.  You guys were in such good spirits.

LD
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some how everyone forgot the sexy fat kids screen name

1. Gilmore 284 (Airone)
3. Stainton 304 (LawDog)
4. Mooney 321 (The Viking) (kangaroojoe)
5. Parks 322
6. Wise 367 (AR-builder)
7. Raley 373
8. Rizzo 388
11. Wester 408 (MOS2111)
13. Kelley 418
14. Hunt 419
17. M. Pendley 473
18. Pasco 476 NightFighter4d
19. Grimes 478
20. Storrie 497
23. Haggerty 527
24. Tomlin 551
27. Donges 610
28. Scott 647 (donne3)
29. Britzky 669 (geegee)
31. L. Coale 719
32. Richey 766 eastTXhunter
33. Henderson
34. Jasper (ethershark)

Just a little correction
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top