Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 11/18/2012 3:24:25 PM EDT
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121118/NEWS01/311180074/-Gift-Cards-Guns-event-South-Nashville-nets-91-weapons?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Metro Police Chief Steve Anderson held aloft (perhaps with a little glee in his eyes) a rusty, sawed-off shotgun for all to see.

“We’re happy to get a weapon like this off the streets, so it won’t fall in the wrong hands or a child could get a hold of it,” he said.

>snip<

Maurice Whittie was typical of residents who went to the church parking lot to hand over an unwanted gun.

“I think it’s good,” he said. “They’re taking guns off the streets and out of the hands of kids and damn fools.”

I'm sure there were lots of convicted felons lined up to hand in their illegal guns..............    
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:07:58 PM EDT
Bob, you really need to give us at least a 2 week notice on this event. I figuare one could make a zip gun for about $10 and turn a semi legal profit. I myself would like to set up somewhere close and offer $30 cash for guns.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:51:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TnMike:
Bob, you really need to give us at least a 2 week notice on this event. I figuare one could make a zip gun for about $10 and turn a semi legal profit. I myself would like to set up somewhere close and offer $30 cash for guns.

There's been several guys who mentioned getting first dibs on these "turn-ins". Methinks the po-po would take a dim view of such actions but whom am I to say?  

What is simply both mind boggling & hilarious is the way they proclaim the guns are "off the street", whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean.

Had the reporter had ANY balls (yeah, right!), they would've asked the esteemed Mayor WHY these convicted felons keep getting back on the street despite multi-year sentences? I would love to see asswipe Dean shimmy under the limbo bar on that one..............    
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 5:11:13 PM EDT by TnMike]
So here's a question to all the legal types out there...  If someone were to set up a "gun buy back" near by the metro sponsored one and have the land owners permission what could metro PD do about it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:10:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TnMike:
So here's a question to all the legal types out there...  If someone were to set up a "gun buy back" near by the metro sponsored one and have the land owners permission what could metro PD do about it?

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV (heck, I didn't even stay at some hotel, last night), but the only way I can see them coming up with legal grounds to do anything, is by claiming you are conducting business in the transfer of guns, without a license.  If you happen to have an FFL, I don't see how they could do anything.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:51:38 PM EDT
Some friends and myself were discussing this and we came to the same
conclusion as most of you - the po-po would take a dim view of your personal
buy back program.

In my opinion they would do everything the could to shut you down.  They
would probably claim you were doing a firearms business but since you
weren't buying and selling it would be hard to say it's a business since
there is no law about how many you could purchase for personal use or
a collection.  

What they would probably do is harass the shit out of you for having
"illegal" guns and just keep making calls to run serial numbers checking
for stolen guns and then busting your butt for being in possession of
stolen property if they found one.  You would be at risk since I'm sure
not all people trying to sell a firearm that day would have a clear title to it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:06:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TnRedneck:

What they would probably do is harass the shit out of you for having
"illegal" guns and just keep making calls to run serial numbers checking
for stolen guns and then busting your butt for being in possession of
stolen property if they found one.  You would be at risk since I'm sure
not all people trying to sell a firearm that day would have a clear title to it.

If they want to try that angle, then shouldn't they also go after any gunstore that ends up with a stolen gun?

And if they did this, wouldn't it be pointing out that their buyback program is being used to provide a way to dispose of illegal guns, with no consequenses for the person that had the illegal guns?

I know, I'm using logic in a discussion about gun buybacks.   Silly me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:58:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JPN:

If they want to try that angle, then shouldn't they also go after any gun store that ends up with a stolen gun?

I know, I'm using logic in a discussion about gun buybacks.   Silly me.

I suppose you could think that and make that logical argument; however, I think they give "legitimate"
gun stores a break when it comes to that after all they have a document trace that the po-po can
use to track back to the person selling the gun.

However, in the case of you doing your own buy back program in competition with the po-po
I think they would take a different point of view.  I think they would want to hammer you into
a squishy spot on the pavement.  I'm not saying their approach would be legal or indefensible
in court - what I'm saying is they would want to harass you and delay you by putting all sorts
of roadblocks in your path to cause you to rethink your program.  I'm saying they could make
a check every 30 minutes or so and take 20 minutes doing it.  Do you think you would have
many customers making sales when they are there?

Yes, that tactic does point out the shortfall of their program in not going after the seller of
a stolen gun but they have already justified that to the "public" as being necessary for them
to do the program.  Remember they have the power to decide who gets prosecuted for
breaking whatever law.  They don't care how dirty their skirts are but they will hammer you
if it suits them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:27:10 AM EDT
I think y'all are missing the point. These people wouldn't sell you the guns. If they wanted more than a $25 Dollar General gift card they could have gotten it. As the guy quoted said, they want them away from kids and damn fools. Basically grandma doesn't want her grand kids getting ahold of the POS in the closet and she isn't comfortable just selling it. Is it the best way to get illegal guns off the street? No. May it keep a few legal guns from being used in a crime? Probably.
Top Top