Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/12/2005 8:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 9:17:31 AM EDT by the_reject]
All in all, a decent Monday night home opener, right? Lot of things to like, lot of things to not like. But here are the numbers:

Passing:
12/23 for 156 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT.

Rushing:
11 ATT for 68 Yds and 1 TD

My take:

If it wasn't for the sheer factor of economics, I think Vick would be better in the backfield as an option back, and not as quarterback. His passing is still far from stellar, but his athletic ability is indisputably phenomenal. His release is slow, his passes are inaccurate. On the other hand, he's got a lot of arm strength, and can really zip the ball when needed.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:02:50 PM EDT
The DEFENSE knocked the Phily's dick in the dirt.

You really need to score more than 14 pts to be good., IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:40:58 AM EDT
GO BRAVES!!!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:54:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ar556223:
The DEFENSE knocked the Phily's dick in the dirt.

You really need to score more than 14 pts to be good., IMHO.

Having no dog in the fight (I told Donna last night during the pre-game show on ESPN that whoever wins, we all lose), I think Philly got the high hard one when Jeremiah Trotter was ejected from the game during the pre-game scuffle. Had he been playing, I don't think we would've seen the Falcons run so freely up the middle, and I don't think the Falcons would've walked out of this one with a W.

But, if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating a sandwich right now. A W is still a W. Not like they put any asterisks next to 'em.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:33:24 AM EDT
Who / what are you talking about???

Oh! (lightbulb)

I refer you to my sig line.

Accountant
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:00:27 AM EDT
What Vick brings to the quarterback position are things that aren't measured by the numbers. I agree that if his passing were better, he would be a force of nature, the likes of which the NFL had never seen before.

However, there is one stat that I can't ignore. His record as a starter is something like 24-13-1.

He wins games, period. Now, if his passing came along too, then there wouldn't be a team that could stop him, period! Tom
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 12:19:57 PM EDT by LARRYG]

Originally Posted By Tomcat1066:
What Vick brings to the quarterback position are things that aren't measured by the numbers. I agree that if his passing were better, he would be a force of nature, the likes of which the NFL had never seen before.

However, there is one stat that I can't ignore. His record as a starter is something like 24-13-1.

He wins games, period. Now, if his passing came along too, then there wouldn't be a team that could stop him, period!

Tom

Give me a break.

He doesn't win games, the defense does, just like last night. The Falcons during his tenure are 24-13-1 IN SPITE of Vick, not because of him.

"things that aren't measured by numbers".............oh, please. Yeah, how about 2 fumbles and 1 interception. 200 yards total offense. Any journeyman quarterback can easily top that with passing decently.

I was all preparted to change my mind after that long pass to Jenkins. However, the rest of the game was vintage Vick:

Look at him cross-eyed, he fumbles.

Can't throw the long pass consistently. With one exception, he was either vastly overthrowing or vastly underthrowing deep recievers.

All the hoopla about Peerless Price was bullshit. He was not the problem. You watch, the recieving yards for the wide recievers will not get any better this year while Vick is QB.

The Falcons last year and so far this year are all about defense. 14 points a game by the offense ain't gonna cut it. If you go back and look, the Falcons offense has struggled to put 21 points up on the scoreboard with Vick as QB. He has a very good supporting cast on offense, he is the thing holding them down.

"unconventional QB" my ass. How about, no quarterback. He would be a great WR, he is a great athlete, he is not even a mediocre QB.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:33:39 PM EDT
Sure, he sucks ass. That's why players get worried about him. That's why coaches set up defensive schemes JUST for him.

What does he do? He gets away from trouble like no one else can. He's got a strong arm also. I agree his accuracy isn't great. If it were, as I said, he'd be a force that no one could deal with. As it is, he CAN be dealt with, sure. I'll conceed that point to you.

But how many points did the defense put up last night? How about all last season? It's a TEAM sport, and he brings a dimension, IMHO, that no other quarterback does. What is the Falcon's record when he DOESN'T start? The same defense isn't winning those games. So what is it then?

And I agree about Peerless Price. He's a good receiver. Getting rid of him wasn't a good move. But he also dropped a lot of passes the last couple of years. Not enough to get rid of him in my opinion, but I don't run the team.

But tell you what, lets just agree to disagree about Vick. I won't "give you a break" or anything else, I'll just agree you've got a right to your opinion. Even if I disagree with it.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:02:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tomcat1066:
Sure, he sucks ass. That's why players get worried about him. That's why coaches set up defensive schemes JUST for him.

What does he do? He gets away from trouble like no one else can. He's got a strong arm also. I agree his accuracy isn't great. If it were, as I said, he'd be a force that no one could deal with. As it is, he CAN be dealt with, sure. I'll conceed that point to you.

But how many points did the defense put up last night? How about all last season? It's a TEAM sport, and he brings a dimension, IMHO, that no other quarterback does. What is the Falcon's record when he DOESN'T start? The same defense isn't winning those games. So what is it then?

They gave up 10 last night. Last year, when they gave up more than 21, they generally lost. They averaged 21.2 points scored per game, including defensive scores. The losses without Vick that you refer to were in the Dan Reeves era when they didn't win much, with or without Vick. They had no defense then.

And I agree about Peerless Price. He's a good receiver. Getting rid of him wasn't a good move. But he also dropped a lot of passes the last couple of years. Not enough to get rid of him in my opinion, but I don't run the team.

But tell you what, lets just agree to disagree about Vick. I won't "give you a break" or anything else, I'll just agree you've got a right to your opinion. Even if I disagree with it.

Go examine the records. The facts back up my "opinion" as opposed to some imaginary intagible.

Tom

S.12 San Fran. L 21-19
S.19 ST. LOUIS W 34-17
S.26 ARIZONA L 6-3
O.03 Carolina W 27-10
O.10 DETROIT L 10-17
O.17 S. DIEGO L 21-20
O.24 K. City L 10-56
O.31 Denver W 41-28
N.07 Bye
N.14 T. BAY W 24-14
N.21 Nyg W 14-10
N.28 N. ORL. L 24-21
D.05 T. Bay L 0-27
D.12 OAK. W 35-10
D.18* CAR.-OT L 34-31
D.26 New Orl. L 13-26
J.02 Seattle W 26-28
J.15* ST. L.-P W 47-17
J.23 Phil.-P L 10-27

One game, the defense only gave up 6 points and they still lost.

Look at the games that they scored more than 21 and then go look at those team's defenses.

The Seattle game, they were playing backups with Shaub and they still scored 26.

His fumbles and interceptions are ridiculous.

Those are not opinions.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:00:40 AM EDT
Like I said, lets just agree to disagree about Vick. I'm not arguing his stats. I admit it it, they're average at best. I think he brings something to the team that you don't. That's fine.

Besides, it's not like I get paid for any of this Tom
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:47:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 3:48:21 AM EDT by BookHound]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:16:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:

Originally Posted By ByteTheBullet:
GO BRAVES!!!

And take the Falcons with ya!!

Go FLAMES!?!?!?!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:36:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:40:23 AM EDT