Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2013 12:56:13 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me about the Anacortes area? I got a call out of blue (way way out of the blue) about a job there today. I have always lived in the south (TX/LA/MS) and it would be a major change for me. I know a little about the area having traveled in the area around Port Angeles/Port Townsend and Burlington a few times as a tourist.

I know it will be a huge change in the political landscape, I personally don't know a white person who voted for Obama in any of the 3 states I have lived in.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only been through it once on the way to the San Juan Islands (ferry terminal in Anacortes) but it's beautiful (but what part of the PNW isn't?). Yeah, in the more populated regions of the west side of the state it tends to run blue. Our gun laws are rather good, no SBR/SBS/MGs is about the only downside. Burlington is quite close to Anacortes IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a nice small town of about 15 or 20,000, technically on Fidalgo Island but connected to the mainland by a highway bridge.  It is surrounded by water (duh on an Island) and is somewhat affluent to middle class. Weather is picture perfect sunny high 60's/low 70's from about May to October, rain off and on the rest of the year. It lies in a rain shadow so not too much rain compared to Seattle.

Town has a Ferry Terminal so you can go to the San Juan Islands, the whole area is very scenic, Mountains to the East, other Islands all around.  Nearest "big" town with Malls, Home Depot, etc would be Mt Vernon/Burlington about 20 miles away. No real crime except some property crime.

General Linky

Local paper would be goskagit.com
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It's home to 2 oil refineries.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah that's what I build and service for a living. Not quite the 90+ chemical plants and refineries we have here on 90 miles of the river but it's a start.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

As I recall, one exploded a couple years back and made the National news with several dead. There is also the Cherry Point refinery about 30 - 40 miles or so North as the crow flies. Gas is not cheap in the area despite the refineries. I do not live in Anacortes but I have spent enough time in Western Washington and NW Wash to be familiar, had a good friend who lived there at one time. Whidbey Island NAS is not too far South, lots of service personnel about 20 miles South in Oak Harbor, WA.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
If Anacortes isn't to your likings other towns in Skagit County are within driving distance.  I know plenty of people that work at the refineries but none that actually live in Anacortes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#7]

The housing costs can be quite a bit higher in Anacortes, I would look in the skagit valley. It is a great area lots of water type activities on one side and then you have the Cascade mountain range on the other.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Guy called back today. Apparently my salary requirement didn't spook them off. I looked at housing and to be quite honest I thought it wasn't bad at all. Flying up there in the next week or two to talk to them and look around. Won't be working at the refinery just a company that does some work that goes there (and other places).

The guy was trying to tell me places that were close by because you don't want to commute more than 20 minutes. Everyone here commutes at least an hour or maybe even 1-1/2 hours. You can commute over an hour and never leave the city limits here.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The refineries are at March Point which is about 5 miles East of Anacortes and 10 miles West of Mt Vernon & Burlington. The commute in the Skagit Valley is a piece of cake, and no gridlock, the Summer can have heavy tourism traffic but it still moves, not like a big city.

If you have High School age kids schools are better in Anacortes than Mt Vernon and Burlington, other small towns in the area are Bayview, Bow, Edison, and La Conner.  All within 20 minutes of March Point, even Mt Vernon and Burlington should be about 20 minutes most of the year and 25 minutes in the Summer.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#10]
one road in and out. , lots of tourists
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
one road in and out. , lots of tourists
View Quote

You can come in via Reservation Road from La Conner.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I know a couple of guys that work at the refineries who live in Oak Harbor.
One guy I worked with in the Navy lives just outside of Coupeville.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the great outdoors long distance shooting spots (750-1400 yards) is a short drive from the Anacortes area.  I drive up there from the south sound area occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One of the great outdoors long distance shooting spots (750-1400 yards) is a short drive from the Anacortes area.  I drive up there from the south sound area occasionally.
View Quote

I have lived here for a long time and I have never heard of this range.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the replies. Flying up there to check it out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a nice area, but Anacortes is one of the more expensive areas in the valley. If you're coming from the south you'll probably be startled by the housing prices, but now would be the time to buy as prices are coming back up. We have people at the refineries that commute 60 miles or so, one way. Worth it to most when you're talking an easy $100k+ a year.
Sounds like you might be looking at a job with T Bailey or Timec or such, although Timec could be on their way out in the area. I work at one of the refineries and if we get the new hydrocracker they're talking about I'm sure T Bailey will be hopping for a few years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't a range.   Just a place out in the woods that hasn't been closed to shooters (yet).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top