Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2006 9:59:49 PM EST
Whew. As the topic says, this certainly was an eventful evening. Highlights: Guns, state and local police, cars smashing into each other, lies, suspicion of auto theft, drug testing...

And now for the letdown: it's not quite as eventful as that description would have you believe, though all those ingredients are certainly there. Here's the AAR. This is half for your viewing pleasure, half so I can keep my story straight just in case I'm contacted and needed later for something relating to this.

10/25/06

1820 Hours - Frost takes his mother out to see Flyboys, which she's been wanting to see for a while but hadn't gone to yet.

2135 Hours - Frost leaves the theater. All is as normal as any other night at the movies would be.

2140 Hours - While driving up a boulevard toward one of the main roads in town to head home something happens. I'll explain the set up: There are two major boulevards intersecting. G Mill Road runs north-south, R Forest Drive runs east-west. G Mill northbound dead ends into R Forest except for a little sliver that continues north into a neighborhood, so there's a double left turn. So... the light for northbound traffic turns green. Up ahead, a couple beige sedans turn left from the left lane, and a red Expedition turns left from the right lane. After the light's been green about 3-4 seconds, some nutjob in a white Acura doing about 6-7 over comes rocketing through the intersection from R Forest, running the red light, and plows into the front bumper of the red Expedition as he's making his turn. WHAP! I was probably about 4 car lengths back from this spot.

2142 Hours - After the impact, both vehicles continue on past the southbound intersection, then pull off onto the right shoulder of R Forest westbound. At this point I figure I should stop too. One, this is the kind of thing where a third party that witnessed what happened will probably come in handy. And two, who knows why this halfwit went flying through the intersection... he might be on drugs or something, violent, who knows. The driver of the Expedition might need my help in that regard too. So I hit the hazards, pull in behind the Expedition, kill the lights, and head over to see what's up.

2150 Hours - Neither driver is hurt. The Expedition has minor damage to the front right bumper, and only on the plastic part. The metal bumper has only white paint on it. Meanwhile the left side of the Acura is all but destroyed. Guess there's something to "Built Ford tough" afterall. 911 has been called and police are on the way, and I'm sticking around to tell my story. Mr. Acura's girlfriend shows up in some black SUV with a notepad and proceeds to gather information. While I shared my info with Mr. Expedition, I knew my story would be condemning Mr. Acura, and not knowing how far this could go, I declined to give him and his girl my info.

2153 Hours - A police officer from a neighboring area who doesn't have jurisdiction here shows up to take control of the scene until a State Trooper can show up. He proceeds to assess the situation, collect stories from both parties involved. Here's where things start getting sticky... the guy in the Acura lies to the cop about what happened. According to him, when he went through the intersection, the light had only just turned yellow. At this point I'm really glad I stuck around; otherwise it'd be the word of this irresponsible son of a bitch versus the poor guy he hit.

2155 Hours - After talking to each of us, the cop notices my story and the story of the guy in the Expedition match nearly perfectly, while Mr. Acura's story is interestingly different. It gets even more fun when it turns out the guy in the Acura's insurance card expired in August 2005.

2157 Hours - Things get a little more hairy, this time thanks to me. I'm a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) holder, and I'm usually armed about 70% of the time. Tonight falls within that 70%. I'm obligated to tell the officer I'm a CHL holder and armed, so I think over how to tell him in my mind, then ask if I can speak with him a moment. He comes over and I explain the situation. I understand cops can be a mixed bag, which ones who will instantly feel threatened by you, and then others who will jump at the opportunity to start talking guns with you and trade advice and stories, then a whole slew in between. Fortunately I got a guy who was nice and cool about it, so he just asks me where and what it is, I tell him, and he nods and says, "Okay, thanks for letting me know."

2200 Hours - The state trooper has been diverted to another more serious accident. DPS reroutes a second trooper our way. Mr. Expedition is still making notes and surveying damage to his vehicle, and meanwhile Mr. Acura and SUVGirl are snowing the cop with stories about insurance mix-ups and lala. The cop is starting to get a little bothered since the trooper's been delayed, so first chance he gets he radios for a little backup.

2205 Hours - Backup cop arrives on the scene. He too gets stories all around, and comes to the same conclusions as the first cop. The funky stories of Mr. Acura and SUVGirl are not adding up, and they're getting suspicious, to the point where I can overhear them talking over whether or not the Acura might be stolen, whether it even belongs to the driver. One suggests running the plates. They talk to me again to clarify a point in the story, and then the first cop calls his backup aside for a moment. Tow truck vultures monitoring police radio start stacking up practically a mile long behind the accident.

2210 Hours - The two cops call me aside. Backup cop asks where the gun is, I tell him, he informs me he wants to take it just as a precaution. Asks me to take it out slowly just so the handle's showing. No problem, I do so. I get the grip showing, he takes it the rest of the way. Asks me to open my trunk, I do so, he unloads the weapon, pulls the slide back to eject the chambered round, and sets the weapon and magazine in my trunk and closes it... then hands me the ejected bullet? "Here ya go, sir." "Uh... thanks." He again says it's just a precaution, and with a grin "I like to be the only one with a gun!"

2215 Hours - State trooper shows up, goes through the routine, gets the two drivers' stories. The two local police get rid of the vultures while he does this and traffic is relieved some without the 200 million tow trucks on the shoulder and drivers dodging them. Once this is done, the local guys take off. After he's filled out a couple forms, the trooper comes over to me, thanks for me for having the courtesy to stick around, asks me if I know either party involved (I don't), and then asks me to relate my version of events.

2220 Hours - After Mr. State has a good picture in his mind of events from my perspective, he also comes to the conclusion that my story and Mr. Expedition's stories match down to the tiniest detail while Mr. Acura's is wildly different. He asks me if I can stick around to fill out a written statement (I can), and then he takes Mr. Acura to his cruiser, tests his reactions, tests him for alcohol, drugs, you name it. Not sure what he says to him after the tests, but...

2235 Hours - Mr. State calls out my name and I come over as Mr. Acura walks by with his head hanging low. Turns out thanks to having a witness to shoot down his story, Mr. Acura realized his precarious position and took the opportunity to fess up to his crime and admit guilt before he dug himself any deeper in a hole, so Mr. State doesn't need to collect a written statement from me afterall. He gives me a hearty handshake, thanks me again for all my help tonight, and says I'm free to go.

2245 Hours - Frost arrives at home.

All I can say is I'm glad everything turned out well, and if there are any Shenandoah cops here, CHL holders are on your side, guys. I could be gauging their body language and whatnot wrong, but I got the distinct feeling the Shenandoah guys felt threatened until after I was disarmed. If I was going to do something, I wouldn't very well have informed you I was armed, would I have?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:59:05 AM EST
Good job sir.

AS a popo;

Cant stand wreckers. Because they do listen to our radios, I advise the dispatcher to "GB" or general broadcast "no more wreckers." I do this after 3 wreckers arrive at the scene. I dont need 50 out there.

As far as the CHL goes, I probably would not have made you put it up, depending on the situation. If you were involved in a poss. crime then yeah I woulda removed it. But just witnessing something....naaaa you can keep it on. Heck after the accident I'd probably shoot the shit with you about guns and what not.

Where in Texas you at?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:15:57 AM EST
You did good. I hate the fact that that LEO had a problem with the pistol, but there is an odd ball in every bunch.(Read, control freak)

Thanks for sticking around. It breathes life into my faith in Humanity.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:45:21 AM EST
Gee, you mean to tell me that people are running red lights in The Woodlands? And speeding? And crazy Shenandoah cops?

Who'da thunk it?

Home sweet Home
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:04:48 AM EST
You did good and I'm sure that Ford guy was glad you stuck around.

Most police in Texas are pretty cool about CHl, but there are a few out there that like to be the only one with a gun. I guess it's a good thing Acura boy wasn't some wacked out gangbanger that decided to start sending lead at the cops, huh?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:23:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2006 6:25:08 AM EST by RenegadeX]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:53:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
1) You are not "obligated" to tell him you are carrying, unless he asks you for ID, in which you then must present your CHL with your DL, not verbally tell him.

2) These disarms stories are always entertaining. He disarms the law-abiding citizen, but did he do anything to the perpetrators? No. Does not even appear they ran the plates or check warrants on the guy. I would have driven off rather then be disarmed, since it does not appear your were being legally detained, and had given your statement. That would have been much safer for the skeered cop.

I understand your sentiment.

But, i bet the person in the Expedition was glad that he stuck around.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:12:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:33:08 AM EST
Well at anyrate I would say good job sticking around. Honestly you're a rare find, I just watched a show last night where it showed one car that hit a cop and it didn't stop. Then two more cars that caused people to crash and they didn't stop. So its nice to see someone that wasn't even involved stop and help out. Also when you can give us the rest of the story. Or what finally happened if you find all that stuff out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:56:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2006 9:01:37 AM EST by Keith_J]
4 years ago, I had a similar collison. Except it was a bit more energetic and neither side came away walking.

I was stopped at a red light in the right lane. Driving a '98 A4 2.8Qm. There was a truck to my left so I couldn't see the traffic from the left.

The light tirns green and we both enter the intersection. Remember, I couldn't see the traffic from the left. And that is all I remember.

Some nutjob is dirving 70 MPH+ and rips the front end off my car. His right front fender hit right in front of my left tire. It ripped everything off the front, including the front accessory drive items, right down to the camshafts (90 degree V6, DOHC). In the Audis, the engine is proper, not transverse.

I wake up in the hospital. the other guy didn't. His car veered to the left, striking the median and flipping end over end, coming to rest on the roof. There were 7 witnesses that saw he ran a red light. Yet the insurance claimed I had run a red light. Can you say "lawsuit"? How about "loss of insurance adjuster's license"?

It wasn't my time but it was his.

And guess what was IN THE TRUNK OF MY CAR? Yep, TWO firearms. Bastards wouldn't let me get them for a week as they said "wait for the insurance".
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:01:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By Frost7:
l, and if there are any Shenandoah cops here, CHL holders are on your side, guys. I could be gauging their body language and whatnot wrong, but I got the distinct feeling the Shenandoah guys felt threatened until after I was disarmed. If I was going to do something, I wouldn't very well have informed you I was armed, would I have?

I got a strange feeling after reading the last paragraph about Shenandoah Police. I realize G Mill stands for Grogans Mill and R Forest stands for Research Forest. Damn, close to home!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:02:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By ww2willys:

l, and if there are any Shenandoah cops here, CHL holders are on your side, guys. I could be gauging their body language and whatnot wrong, but I got the distinct feeling the Shenandoah guys felt threatened until after I was disarmed. If I was going to do something, I wouldn't very well have informed you I was armed, would I have?

I got a strange feeling after reading the last paragraph about Shenandoah Police. I realize G Mill stands for Grogans Mill and R Forest stands for Research Forest. Damn, close to home!

And less than 15 miles from where I had my crash (above). Damn N. Houston red light runners.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:17:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:32:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2006 9:32:29 AM EST by opie69]

so did I as soon as he said Shenandoah, i was damn he's in the woodlands, i live in conroe. had he spoken up the first time i woulda put the whole situation in perspective.

just a tip never speed in Shenandoah period, they get ya every time
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:26:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2006 10:35:38 AM EST by Frost7]

Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC:
Where in Texas you at?

I live in the north central part of the Woodlands. South of Conroe, north of Spring. And shooting the shit about guns afterwards certainly would have been a more fun ending to the evening.

Originally Posted By ringo_dingo:
Gee, you mean to tell me that people are running red lights in The Woodlands? And speeding? And crazy Shenandoah cops?

Who'da thunk it?

Home sweet Home

Seriously, Shenandoah guys are nuts. The town is about as big as my back yard (well, okay, bigger than that), yet they have this big police force that's crawling all over everything. Everybody who lives here always comments on the crazy Shenandoah police, especially now that several of them are driving these souped up Chargers.

Funny story: Last time I had a run-in with a Shenandoah cop, I saved him a little embarassment when he was eating at Outback Steakhouse. Guess he was a little confused as to which sex "Blokes" and "Sheilas" were, cause as I left the men's restroom, he was on his way into the women's. When he saw me, he figured out what door he should be going into. I managed to keep a straight face until I was out of visual range...

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
1) You are not "obligated" to tell him you are carrying, unless he asks you for ID, in which you then must present your CHL with your DL, not verbally tell him.

2) These disarms stories are always entertaining. He disarms the law-abiding citizen, but did he do anything to the perpetrators? No. Does not even appear they ran the plates or check warrants on the guy. I would have driven off rather then be disarmed, since it does not appear your were being legally detained, and had given your statement. That would have been much safer for the skeered cop.

I should explain what I said there, actually... I expected to have to give ID and all that when they were filling out forms and taking down our info. This is the first time I've witnessed a major wreck, so every bit of the procedure of being a witness was pretty well new to me as it was happening.

I figured it'd be courteous to the police officer since he was surrounded by nervous people who had just been in an auto accident, it was dark, raining, cold, and at least one person was lying their ass off to him. Might as well just tell him first chance I get so he's not freaked out that the guy standing behind him by the speed limit sign has been armed this whole time on top of it incase he runs plates, or checks my ID, etc. He seemed to appreciate that I did so, so I don't see a problem. In his defense, he wasn't the one who had a problem with the pistol; in fact, he stopped glancing my way repeatedly to keep an eye on me after I told him, so I figure he trusted me at least a little bit more than if I was just some random guy. It was the cop who showed up to back him up who had the problem and wanted me disarmed. You can probably figure the personality by the sidearms. The first cop had a small, black Glock of some sort as his sidearm. The second cop, who had the problem with me being armed, had some big shiny wood-handled 1911 sticking way out from a holster it was too big for. Compensation?

And I stuck around because the first cop asked me to if I had the time (which I did). He wanted to know what was going on, but he couldn't take a statement. Had to wait for the state trooper for that, and I was already disarmed before the trooper even got to the scene. Besides that, the state trooper seemed extremely glad a witness was on hand, no doubt since one party was lying about their story. If I wasn't there he'd have had nothing to go on except the word of the Expedition driver versus the word of the Acura driver. That, to me, is more than worth dealing with a nervous local cop in the interim, and that's why I stopped in the first place.

Originally Posted By MartinD:
Well at anyrate I would say good job sticking around. Honestly you're a rare find, I just watched a show last night where it showed one car that hit a cop and it didn't stop. Then two more cars that caused people to crash and they didn't stop. So its nice to see someone that wasn't even involved stop and help out. Also when you can give us the rest of the story. Or what finally happened if you find all that stuff out.

I doubt I'll be contacted, as the only person I left my info with was the Expedition driver. Not sure how I'd go about finding out what happened later, but if you know anyone who can, you've got the date, time, and location. The others were correct: Grogan's Mill and Research Forest intersection in the Woodlands.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 11:34:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:38:10 PM EST
Wow!! Ya did good!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:59:41 PM EST
I wonder if he complete the paperwork for disarming you. I would have never disarmed you unless of course did something wrong. I have had my CHL since the beginning. Some people ask me why I have still have it since I can carry where ever I want. I simply reply "because it is a priviledge given to me."

srt205
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:28:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By srt205:
I wonder if he complete the paperwork for disarming you....

srt205

What paperwork would he complete for disarming someone?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:06:58 AM EST
That's chickenshit of the cop to disarm you.

I've been stopped twice (traffic) and present during a fire dept call out.

They always knew I was armed, and they never asked to remove the weapon.

"I would like to be the only one that's armed."

Well, I would like to be Bill Gates!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:40:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By opie69:

so did I as soon as he said Shenandoah, i was damn he's in the woodlands, i live in conroe. had he spoken up the first time i woulda put the whole situation in perspective.

just a tip never speed in Shenandoah period, they get ya every time

those guys & the Oak Ridge cops too

that corridor from just north of Crighton until south of the Woodlands is like running the traffic citation gauntlet

always plenty of DPS troopers through there too
Top Top