Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/5/2009 8:04:50 PM EDT
Howdy –– I'm traveling to Ohio next week.  Long story short –– I'm flying out to move my mother in law from OH to AZ.  I shipped a firearm to myself last week so I can have it for the cross country drive home, but I wasn't able to include ammo in the package and shipping a 20 rd. box to myself would be ridiculously cost ineffective.  Me and the wife are from Dayton, so I'm familiar with the area.  I'm looking for suggestions on where to pick up some 9mm personal defense ammo locally.

Much thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Will you be North or South of town?  North there are 3 gunshops around Vandalia + Dick's, Gander Mountain and a couple of Walmarts.  Of course you can find a Walmart every 3 miles around here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be in Fairborn, then traveling north up to I-70 to head west.  Walmart usually doesn't have anything in a decent JHP, but I could check.  Is there a Dick's in the area?  Maybe at Fairfield Commons?  Heck –– wasn't even aware of a Gander Mtn.  I'll have to look that location up.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll be in Fairborn, then traveling north up to I-70 to head west.  Walmart usually doesn't have anything in a decent JHP, but I could check.  Is there a Dick's in the area?  Maybe at Fairfield Commons?  Heck –– wasn't even aware of a Gander Mtn.  I'll have to look that location up.

Ed

Olde English would not exactly be on the way for you but it's not far from 70/75 interchange. Olde English usually seems to run a bit high on ammo.

There's also that Gander Mountain just right off of 70 at the 202 exit. That would be your best bet. My map says it's off Shull Road. Once you exit 70 you want to turn right, then be in the far left hand lane at the first light, turn left there.

EDIT - Yes there is a Dicks at Fairfield Commons, it's on the back side behind Sears.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
old English sucks, just down the road is vandiala tactical, much better shop.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ed

Dick's is just across 202 from Gander Mountain, but I've never been impressed with their selection.  Gander Mountain has a pretty good selection of High Performance ammo, but be prepared to spend some cash.  Vandalia Range and Armory generally does pretty well also they are about 1/2 mile east of the airport access road on U.S. 40 behind the Toyota dealer.  40 is the only exit between the airport and I-70.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Dayton Armory (or somehting like that...) in beavercreek, next to Lofino's and Beef'o'bradys at 35 and N. Fairfield.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Howdy –– I'm traveling to Ohio next week.  Long story short –– I'm flying out to move my mother in law from OH to AZ.  I shipped a firearm to myself last week so I can have it for the cross country drive home, but I wasn't able to include ammo in the package and shipping a 20 rd. box to myself would be ridiculously cost ineffective.  Me and the wife are from Dayton, so I'm familiar with the area.  I'm looking for suggestions on where to pick up some 9mm personal defense ammo locally.

Much thanks,

Ed

a lot of people gave you some places to get ammo, i'm going the other way.
  why don't you just bring it with you? i don't think you even have to declare ammo(i've never flown with just ammo) , just put it in the checked luggage in a factory box.
 and i do agree, old english sucks.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Howdy –– I'm traveling to Ohio next week.  Long story short –– I'm flying out to move my mother in law from OH to AZ.  
Ed

OK, so you is likely flying into the Dayton Airport... Across the street is a Toyota dealer, right behind the Toyota dealer is a shop.  Look across the airfield for the water tower with red/white stripes, there is also a store there i nthe plaza adjacent to the tower.  

Right beside the Toyota dealer is a empty lot that once had a restaraunt, now random car parking... I can leave you 15 pieces of USA9MMVP, or 10 pieces of Winchester 147gr HP in a bag next to the large green electric box in that lot..

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I know the exact dealership you're referring to.  Will do.

If not, I grew up down the street from Lofino's.  Wasn't aware there's a place there, either.  I'll be in that neighborhood on Sunday.

As for flying with it –– it needs to be in a locked container, factory ammo box, yadda, yadda...  those are all the hassles I'm trying to avoid.  I don't want to give them any reason to stop me, tag me, identify me –– nuthin.  I wish I could, but I just don't want the hassle.

Thanks for all the input.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#10]
This would be the newer Lofinos' , south of 35 not the older on on Dayton-Xenia
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Dayton Armory (or somehting like that...) in beavercreek, next to Lofino's and Beef'o'bradys at 35 and N. Fairfield.

they sell walmart ammo at high prices

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't even waste your time at the Walmart in Huber Heights.  They've got plenty of shotgun ammo, but thats about it.  I'm not sure if they ever plan to replace their stock, and their prices for what they have are CTD-esque.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

they sell walmart ammo at high prices

Dayton Armory's ammo prices are? Did they get around to putting price tags on anything?

Was in there and saw a Smith 559(I think), I had priced them on Gunbroker before I walked in, their price was $125 to $150 over internet prices.

OP, I don't believe there any deals on ammo in the Dayton area.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW –– Gander Mtn had some Speer Gold Dot in stock.  Bought it there.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Ed
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

FWIW –– Gander Mtn had some Speer Gold Dot in stock. Bought it there.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Ed

If you don't mind my asking, where their prices competitive?  I'm hoping they get with the rest of the market since supply seems to be rising.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top