Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 12/1/2013 7:44:56 PM EST

So, I was in Troy for a little while yesterday, and decided to stop by the local WalMart. Naturally, I went to the ammo case, expecting to see the same few boxes of oddball calibers that we have on Long Island.

Holy crap!

Other than .22, the thing was packed. Big boxes. Small boxes. American ammo. Turkish ammo. Bosnian ammo.

Is it always like that these days? When I was there about a month ago, they had a little more than we do, but nothing like this!

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:13:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

So, I was in Troy for a little while yesterday, and decided to stop by the local WalMart. Naturally, I went to the ammo case, expecting to see the same few boxes of oddball calibers that we have on Long Island.

Holy crap!

Other than .22, the thing was packed. Big boxes. Small boxes. American ammo. Turkish ammo. Bosnian ammo.

Is it always like that these days? When I was there about a month ago, they had a little more than we do, but nothing like this!

View Quote

Walmarts out here in MO have been starting to show plenty of common-caliber stock again. During the craze, you could always find a few boxes of .25, .243, various short-mags, and occasionally some .32. Last time I stopped at the big Walmart out here they had shelf after shelf of the 150-round 5.56 packs. Probably 10-15k of just 5.56, plus 7.62x39, almost all common pistol calibers, most rifle calibers, etc. ... All except .22.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 1:08:33 AM EST
I was there Friday and the case wa packed. First time I have seen 30 cal ammo cans there
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:21:46 AM EST
How much have the prices changed from what they used to be? I didn't notice, but when I grabbed the Federal 100 packs a month back they had upped the price by about $5-$10/box compared to what the online price was listed as.

I figured the ones upstate would have the most stock compared to us flatlanders.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:56:24 AM EST
That is the most ammo I have seen in the store in a year. It had been bare including common hunting ammo.
Federal 20 boxes would be about .45 per round if I remember correctly.
I am certain the 556 420 rounds of federal in a 30 cal can was $199.
They had some 720 (I think) cans of something I never heard of for 499.
I hadn't seen bulk ammo there before except for the UMC 250 boxes of pistol ammo.

Most of the 223/556 excluding Tula seemed to be .45 to .60 per round
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:02:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/2/2013 9:09:58 AM EST by oh6shinka]
Clifton Park/Halfmoon Wal-Mart has been good to me the past few weeks. Scored several bulk packs of .22lr and about 1000rnds of Fed 9mm bulk in 100 packs for $25.xx a box (1 box a day). Don't get used to it though. From talking to the counter clerks, they're still unsure if they will be selling ammo post SAFE deadline...

ETA: They've also had 45ACP most days, but I don't own a firearm in that caliber (yet?) so I didn't mention it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:39:43 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thekid_1:
View Quote

Yeah, so that's a $25 increase in price compared to what it was before. Still cheaper than Midway though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:55:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:01:15 AM EST
The industry did say 6 months to get caught up looks like they are making head way.

Kinda of convenient right around the holidays too. ill put my tin foil hat away now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:11:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By jm5432:

Yeah, so that's a $25 increase in price compared to what it was before. Still cheaper than Midway though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jm5432:

More than many online retailers
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:38:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:47:58 PM EST
That is the most ammo I have seen in the store in a year. It had been bare including common hunting ammo.
I hadn't seen bulk ammo there before except for the UMC 250 boxes of pistol ammo.

View Quote

The 720 round cans were the stuff that said it came from Turkey. I'd have been very reluctant to drop $500 on unknown (to me) ammo, even if I needed it.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:21:44 PM EST
My Walmart ( Glenville), has been stocked the last month. .22 is still hit and miss. Mostly miss.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:25:36 PM EST
Local Walmart was pretty stocked today too, except for .22lr of course. They even had ammo cans of 5.56 from Turkey.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:45:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By steinlok87:
Local Walmart was pretty stocked today too, except for .22lr of course. They even had ammo cans of 5.56 from Turkey.
View Quote

Same @ my local Wally World... Everything but 22lr... Guess I will have to stop in over the next few weeks prior to the new year and SAFE BS.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 3:31:50 PM EST
The Troy and CP get there delivery (if any) on Thursday and it does not always get to the the case until Friday.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:01:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/7/2013 4:01:47 AM EST by JDCOOLCELTIC]
Just hit my wally, CP , this morning on the way home from work. CCI Mini-Mag 100rd for 7.99 with tax. First time I've 22lr there in over a year.
Bad thing is they will only sell 1 per day to each. And that really sucks.
Before this morning, never lucky enough to see 22lr in stock. Beats the hell out of $70 for 500 brick before tax at Zacks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 6:52:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 9:39:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/7/2013 9:40:30 AM EST by Bushman_269]
Originally Posted By Raptor22:

You can get 1K rounds online cheaper than that.
View All Quotes

The 720 round cans were the stuff that said it came from Turkey. I'd have been very reluctant to drop $500 on unknown (to me) ammo, even if I needed it.

Until 2014 you can. Then we are at the mercy of the LGS and you know how magnanimous they are!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 11:06:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:45:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:

Until 2014 you can. Then we are at the mercy of the LGS and you know how magnanimous they are!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:

that's if you are willing to let your name, DOB, address, type of ammo, number of rounds, and headstamp go into a state data base and get flagged for purchasing an unknown number or rounds getting put onto a domestic terrorist list somewhere in the bowels of Albany.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:49:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/7/2013 1:50:38 PM EST by cldsandwch]
Ammo thing is DOA for right now. So keep those chins up buckeroos. Cumhole couldn't get the $$$ to implement that portion.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:59:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By cldsandwch:
Ammo thing is DOA for right now. So keep those chins up buckeroos. Cumhole couldn't get the $$$ to implement that portion.
View Quote

Hardly. Online ammo orders are still nixed. I order all my ammo online. If you buy locally, they still must keep a detailed record of the mandated information (name, DOB, address, ammo type, amount, etc). Just because they aren't doing a background check doesn't mean they are collecting your info.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:28:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By Castillo:

Hardly. Online ammo orders are still nixed. I order all my ammo online. If you buy locally, they still must keep a detailed record of the mandated information (name, DOB, address, ammo type, amount, etc). Just because they aren't doing a background check doesn't mean they are collecting your info.
View All Quotes

The man is right They are watching.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:02:00 PM EST

View All Quotes

So wait. The ammo thing is nixed, but can ammo still be ordered online thru the end of this year or not at all. I was just about to order some ammo online private party to private party.

I will admit I'm lost on all the fucking SAFE shit
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:08:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By fttam:

So wait. The ammo thing is nixed, but can ammo still be ordered online thru the end of this year or not at all. I was just about to order some ammo online private party to private party.

View All Quotes

PSA states in their terms in conditions that they will still ship to NY after the New Year but only to an FFL...if that helps any of you
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:18:41 PM EST

View All Quotes

You have literally a couple weeks to order/receive ammo. After that it has to go to a FFL and then the FFL has to collect all sorts of personnel information about you for a state data base.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:50:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/7/2013 5:50:37 PM EST by GTwannabe]
To add insult to injury, the ammo crunch is seriously limiting our ability to stock up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:47:29 AM EST

View All Quotes

It's still not clear what records the dealer will be required to maintain for ammunition sales. The Buffalo News article states that in addition to the delayed background check no information will be required at this time for sales. I've yet to actually find any official statement form the NYSP that these articles refer to.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/state/safe-act-provision-on-background-checks-for-bullet-buyers-to-be-delayed-20131025

"The delay on implementing parts of the ammunition program on Jan. 15 means sellers will not have to start recording the date, name, age, occupation and residence of ammunition buyers. In addition, dealers also were going to be required in January to record the amount, serial numbers, manufacturer’s name and caliber of ammunition they sold. That information then could be inspected by police."
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:50:16 AM EST
The inability to finance this turd should be enough to deem it " unenforcable " .
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:12:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By rkbar15:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=35012 It's still not clear what records the dealer will be required to maintain for ammunition sales. The Buffalo News article states that in addition to the delayed background check no information will be required at this time for sales. I've yet to actually find any official statement form the NYSP that these articles refer to.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/state/safe-act-provision-on-background-checks-for-bullet-buyers-to-be-delayed-20131025

"The delay on implementing parts of the ammunition program on Jan. 15 means sellers will not have to start recording the date, name, age, occupation and residence of ammunition buyers. In addition, dealers also were going to be required in January to record the amount, serial numbers, manufacturer’s name and caliber of ammunition they sold. That information then could be inspected by police."
View All Quotes

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=35012 It's still not clear what records the dealer will be required to maintain for ammunition sales. The Buffalo News article states that in addition to the delayed background check no information will be required at this time for sales. I've yet to actually find any official statement form the NYSP that these articles refer to.

A solid answer on this would be welcomed
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:33:18 AM EST

View Quote

AFAIK with only a few weeks left to register as an ammunition dealer there isn't even a process in place to do so. How they expect dealer's to apply for a license, put internal policies in place, train employees etc. or otherwise comply with the law and any associated regulations is beyond me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:40:40 PM EST

AFAIK with only a few weeks left to register as an ammunition dealer there isn't even a process in place to do so. How they expect dealer's to apply for a license, put internal policies in place, train employees etc. or otherwise comply with the law and any associated regulations is beyond me.
View All Quotes

Yeah, this is a fucking mess. I know a few people who shoot for competition and all they do is order large amounts of specialty ammo online. They are pretty worried right now.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:46:42 PM EST

You have literally a couple weeks to order/receive ammo. After that it has to go to a FFL and then the FFL has to collect all sorts of personnel information about you for a state data base.
View Quote

And we have heard ZIP about this "database" we're supposed to be entering info into
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:02:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

And we have heard ZIP about this "database" we're supposed to be entering info into
View All Quotes

yuo, heard nothing. and i am still waiting on NY to get off its ass and process my NY dealers license. none of my references have been contacted yet. app went in in april when i got my FFL. fuckers.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:29:13 AM EST
View Quote

With any luck I should be able to get us all an answer in writing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:35:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By RolandDeschain:

yuo, heard nothing. and i am still waiting on NY to get off its ass and process my NY dealers license. none of my references have been contacted yet. app went in in april when i got my FFL. fuckers.
View Quote

I assume you mean your NY handgun dealers license.
Theres been no word on the dealers ammo license.
The handgun dealers license is your county doing whatever it does, not the state
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:41:55 PM EST

The handgun dealers license is your county doing whatever it does, not the state
View All Quotes

yes NYS pistol dealers license, which supposedly allows you to sell ammo as well, and be ins possession of the evil "assault weapons". i know it's by county, but NYSP are involved in the process as well as county sherrifs dept, county clerk, county judge and a small dog and pony show.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:58:26 PM EST
Are components considered ammunition? You would still be able to buy online as long as the retailer is cool with it..
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:58:46 AM EST
yes NYS pistol dealers license, which supposedly allows you to sell ammo as well, and be ins possession of the evil "assault weapons". i know it's by county, but NYSP are involved in the process as well as county sherrifs dept, county clerk, county judge and a small dog and pony show.
View Quote

Only a guess but my guess would be in the area of county judge and a small dog and pony show. I would call the local offices, if I got no good answers, I would then call to the State Police Pistol Permit Bureau. They may be able to get the wheels moving again on the local level. It worked for my neighbor, at every renewal, the process literally stops and his state license is in limbo, no pistol sales till it is back in effect. It also places him in a precarious situation with the law as far as possession of his stock. The County said it was the State. The last time he renewed, the call to Albany made it all happen in a matter of a few hours after the call. Coincidence, I don't think so.....Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:12:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By fnub315:
Are components considered ammunition? You would still be able to buy online as long as the retailer is cool with it..
View Quote

^ this?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:29:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By COASTIE_E4:

^ this?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By COASTIE_E4:
Originally Posted By fnub315:

^ this?

Shhhh, they will get around to that soon enough! Don't give the bastards rope to hang us with.
Top Top