Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 12/18/2009 1:24:09 PM EDT
Some friends and I want to go shooting next week and we were wondering where at we could shoot around ames.  Someone told me that Izaak Walton has free shooting on wed? Do they still do this? What times?  Any other places?  Does Ledges state park have a range?  I'd like to shoot monday or tuesday before the snow comes.

Thanks for help.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing at ledges park, but if you are familiar with Madrid, head west on 210 and turn north on the first road after the DSM river, then turn on the first gravel road on the right and go down into the turn around. Just as a courtesy you might give the Madrid PD a call to let them know you will be down there if you go. There is also a club at Boone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
There are several pay-ranges in the area. The public nights at the Ames IWLA are usually for events open to the public like steel matches. Very fun, but organized and not free (although cheap). Just get a job as a farmhand and shoot on their land... that's what I did

As far as free... Welcome to the current America, nothing is free unless you're a lazy minority.

My advice is if you are a student; join the rifle and pistol club. When I was there, Lt. VanRyswik (sp?) was in charge. I was an officer on the trap &skeet team and the local IWLA was less than kind to us, but that's a whole different story.

Go join the Indian Creek Ikes. They have steel gongs out to 300 yards and the place is almost always deserted. Oh, and it's cheap.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Ames Ikes has pin shoots indoors on Monday.  not free tho.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nothing at ledges park, but if you are familiar with Madrid, head west on 210 and turn north on the first road after the DSM river, then turn on the first gravel road on the right and go down into the turn around. Just as a courtesy you might give the Madrid PD a call to let them know you will be down there if you go. There is also a club at Boone.

Is this private property, city owned or state owned land if you go shooting at this location?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this private property, city owned or state owned land if you go shooting at this location?

I have lived a few miles away since '93; it is basically a "public hunting" area.. some old pits and "berms".  I have never heard of "notifying Madrid PD"... but I also have not spent hours on end down there.  I have shot several times, Ryan H. has been down there also... maybe he has better info re: Madrid PD...

I dunno...

(maybe this was no help at all    )
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is state owned land. It is the flood plain for the river.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top