Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2003 1:53:26 PM EDT
www.legis.state.wi.us/senate/sen23/news/ppa1.htm

10/13/03 Amendments to SB 214 and memo describing amendments
0161/3: Substitute amendment to SB214
0896/3: Private property exemptions
0899/3: Employer able to prohibit employee

Coming soon: vote totals from today's committee vote  

I'm still looking at the amendments to see what the penalties are for carrying when a "no-CCW" sign has been posted (and missed, as apparently they aren't required at every entrance?)

Gotta run, but I'll check this later tonight.

EDITED to add that a quick review of the statues leads me to believe that violating the "no-CCW" provision would be a Class B forfeiture (i.e., non-criminal).  Which is good because I don't think the posting requirement is sufficient to convey "actual" notice.  2 signs for every 40 acres or the main entrance doesn't cut it for me.  Next question is whether unknowing violating this and getting convicted of the forfeiture would lead to revocation of the CCW permit....

GD thread: www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=209808
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote from above link:

LRBa0896/3* addresses a concern at committee about private property rights and the prohibition of concealed weapons by permit holders on that property.

The simple amendment would specify that private property owners may prohibit permit holders from carrying a concealed weapon on their property.

Specifies that residential property owners and occupants may prohibit the carry of concealed weapons by licensees by notifying the licensee that carry is prohibited.

Notification may be made personally, either in writing or orally, or by posting a sign at least 11 inches square for every 40 acres of property or by posting the same size sign in a prominent place near the primary entrance of the building.

This amendment ensures that residential property owners and occupants may prohibit carry without posting their property.

Specifies that an owner or occupant of nonresidential property may prohibit the carry of concealed weapons by licensees by notifying the licensee that carry is prohibited.

Notification must be made by prominently posting a sign at least 11 inches square near the primary entrance of the building and by personally and orally notifying the individual of the restriction.

Oral notification is required because the offense is not failing to see a posted sign but, instead, failing to leave a nonresidential property when requested to do so by the owner or occupant.

Clarifies that the ability to prohibit the carry of concealed weapons on nonresidential property does not apply to parking lots and parts of buildings occupied by the state or its political subdivisions.

The amendment also provides immunity from any liability to a business or a nonprofit organization that allows a person to carry a concealed weapon on its property if the decision to do so is done in good faith.

LRBa0899/3* addresses a concern at committee about the ability of employers to prohibit the carry of concealed weapons by their employees who have a license to carry a concealed weapon.

This simple amendment specifies that employers may prohibit a licensee that they employ from carrying a concealed weapon in the course of the employee’s employment.

The employer may not prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed weapon in the licensee’s own personal motor vehicle.

The amendment also provides immunity from any liability to employers who allow licensees that they employ to carry a concealed weapon if the decision to do so is made in good faith.

EDITED to add red text in quote.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top