Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/20/2006 2:44:14 PM EDT
Well?

If anyone wants to try the sport, just let me know.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
i would like to give it a try........ but my Red Ryder BB gun wont cut it.........

where are the shoots held at?  what type of rifle is required??  cost???

thanks
colt
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Watched the guys do a practice match at Miami last summer.  Looks like fun, but I don't have a qualifying rifle.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Be right back......
I have to go Google "highpower shooter".

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never shot more than CMP but do that a couple times a year to keep humble.  Never have really found the urge to get all the needed gear to be real competitive but do go and have a good time occasionally.   Now that I'm back in Cincy am trying to get to one of the Miami matches... at least one of the 'Navy' types.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i would like to give it a try........ but my Red Ryder BB gun wont cut it.........

where are the shoots held at?  what type of rifle is required??  cost???

thanks
colt

Several places in Ohio.  In the SW is Miami Rifle & Pistol, the only range west of Columbus with a full, 600 yard range.

Rifle: any centerfire rifle with the ability to hold at least 5 rounds in the magazine, the ability to be reloaded quickly (basically stripper clips or detachable mag), and metallic sights (no scopes allowed).  

Cost: $27 for NRA approved HP matches (includes after-match BBQ), $3 for Navy (al offhand) match, $5 for Navy + 600 yd prone match.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've never shot more than CMP but do that a couple times a year to keep humble.  Never have really found the urge to get all the needed gear to be real competitive but do go and have a good time occasionally.   Now that I'm back in Cincy am trying to get to one of the Miami matches... at least one of the 'Navy' types.

Come on down, we have an NRA Highpower match and one Navy/600 yd club match a month.  It doesn't matter if you have all the gear or not.  

I strongly recommend staying for the 600 yard prone match after the Navy match.  How many people get to say they can hit what they aim 600 yds away?  Even if all you have is a scoped rifle with a bipod, it goes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Watched the guys do a practice match at Miami last summer.  Looks like fun, but I don't have a qualifying rifle.

Do you have a centerfire rifle that can hold 5 or more rounds in the mag, has iron sights, and can be reloaded quickly?  I bet you do, and if you do you have a qualifying rifle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Be right back......

Search no more: www.shootersjournal.com/Features/OranWoody_Newbie.pdf
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#9]
i'll be at national matches this year and most likely shooting in the rattle battle.  plus i'll be at events at malvern and other areas.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a centerfire rifle that can hold 5 or more rounds in the mag, has iron sights, and can be reloaded quickly?  I bet you do, and if you do you have a qualifying rifle.

How big was that bet

All my rifles have glass.  Gonna try a sporter match with my 30.06 this summer hopefully.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Be right back......

Thanks much!
Looks like fun. In turning 50 this year, I think I'll just sit around and watch y'all have at it....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
hopefully when I can get my kids:

done with high school

I mean through college

I mean finally moved out of the house because they got French Lit. degrees....

Hopefully my bionic eyes will be ready by then.  

Seriously, was talking to the doc about the eye, SWO-D, and If I can get that done, I am hoping to shoot in some of the more informal matches and work my way up.

And BTW everybody, I believe he is serious about offering help.  He spent a very cold morning out at MRPC with me in February giving me pointers and equipment suggestions, and shooting at 200 and 300.  An opportunity like that, and an offer like he's making, are rare things.

Besides, being an ex-SWO, I hear he has a 5-inch naval gun in his basement that he "took home" from his last assignment as a souvenir...Is that too big for Millers?  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How big was that bet

All my rifles have glass.  Gonna try a sporter match with my 30.06 this summer hopefully.

The 600 yard prone matches are open to scoped, bipod rifles.  Be there or be square.

I do it with irons.  Surely you can hang with a scope.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Be right back......

Thanks much!
Looks like fun. In turning 50 this year, I think I'll just sit around and watch y'all have at it....

Sorry, not good enough.     We got plenty of shooters in the late 40s, 50s, and 60s.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Seriously, was talking to the doc about the eye, SWO-D, and If I can get that done, I am hoping to shoot in some of the more informal matches and work my way up.  

Dude, the full blown NRA matches are NOT that intimidating.  I just had a friend come and try one of our practice (50 round) HP matches with his rack-grade Garand and he had a blast.

Actually, there is one big advantage to being in the NRA HP matches.  There's more shooters and three relays, which makes borrowing gear very easy.  And trust me when I tell you that you will not need to ask, it will be offered to you.

BTDT.

BTW, I am permanently scarred from that cold-ass day....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i'll be at national matches this year and most likely shooting in the rattle battle.  plus i'll be at events at malvern and other areas.

Cool.  I'll be at Perry for CMP week and I'm trying to get on the state team for the NTT.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Use to do Leg matches when I was in the guard, and took third in the first CMP shoot I ever did using one of the clubs NM Garands, but to be honest I am bored to tears by highpower shooting. High power shooting would be SO much more enjoyable for me if it was an individually timed event, i.e. I can shoot my rounds at X distance from X position, then go directly into the next one.

I would like to learn to shoot high power with a scope, but in a more more informal type shoot. I just can't find anywhere close with > 150 yards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a social component to highpower that helps fill in the blanks between shooting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I shot the DCM and SAFS each twice years ago and a few years ago shot the CMP Match. I also shot one 600 yard match where I shot lousy. I need to practice more before I try it again. It's fun to do even when I'm shooting like crap though. Maybe I would do better at high power mortar??  LOL
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Come on down, we have an NRA Highpower match and one Navy/600 yd club match a month.  It doesn't matter if you have all the gear or not.  

I strongly recommend staying for the 600 yard prone match after the Navy match.  How many people get to say they can hit what they aim 600 yds away?  Even if all you have is a scoped rifle with a bipod, it goes.

Yup hitting something that far away is impressive.   The sportster matches are pretty much shoot what you bring right?  

I agree that there is a lot of fun in the socializing for the matches.  Have met some really nice and helpful folks, even the retired gentleman in Pickaway Co that let me use his equipment while schooling me with his 03 (and dropping 5 shots on the rapids because he didn't want to mess with that!)

If the weather and the schedule holds Sunday's looking like a posibility.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:07:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I also shot one 600 yard match where I shot lousy. I need to practice more before I try it again. It's fun to do even when I'm shooting like crap though.

The best practice is to come out for the 600 yard prone shoots.  If you ask for someone to help coach you, you will get lots of help.  

Agree about the fun part...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:11:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The sportster matches are pretty much shoot what you bring right?

No, not exactly.  Ther rifle can't weigh more than 9.5 lbs including scope and sling.  You cannot use any bipods or external supports (bags, etc.)  The only support allowed during prone and sitting is a sling.  No support, other than your body, is allowed offhand.

There are no such restrictions on rifles used for the 600 yard shoots, and they are the perfect opportunity for those with scoped tactical rifles or scoped varmint rifles with 308 or fast-twist 223 barrels to come on out and stretch their legs.  Use a bipod, front bag, rucksack, whatever.

Make sure you have a SOLID 200 yard or 300 yard (preferable) zero.  Based off that, we will get you on paper.  From there on, if you ask, someone will be happy to coach you with the wind.  In any case, it doesn't blow that hard at MRPC.  This past Sunday I had 2 minutes right on my AR (shooting 75 AMAX at 2700) and that is about the most I've ever seen there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:56:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to shoot NRA Highpower with my AR, then my Garand.  It was a lot of fun.  Been several years, ten or more.  We could only shoot out to 300 yards.  Good practice.  I've never shot out to 600 yards.  That was back BK, you know, before kids, when shooting most of the day was Ok.  I still remember those days faintly, there were the NRA Highpower matches once a month, IPSC pistol shoot once a month, PPC pistol every Monday night, then practice on the off nights.  Sometimes I think of those days while sitting at a kid's soccer game, in the rain.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a child.  I am grooming her so that she'll be interested in the shooting sports instead of ball and stick sports.  That way the problem of watching a soccer game won't be mine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#25]
It's not really a problem, watching the soccer games, just part of being dad.  Actually the
high school games are pretty exciting to watch now, those kids are good!
The first kid was easy, the second kid was a little trickier to get away, but once the kids
out-number the parents the logistics of getting everybody everywhere really cut down on
the free time.  I need a cheat sheet to keep track of who has to be where and when.  
My oldest and youngest both love to shoot, btw.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Would this be a qualifying rifle?  

I enjoy shooting at 100 and 150 yards.(all I have access to currently)
I'm going to get a membership @ sandusky county sportsments club this spring, so I can shoot to 250yds.  I think they're building a 500 yard range this year also.  

Question:  How big are highpower targets at the different distances?  I know what they look like, just have no idea how big they are.  What would be a good size target to practice @ 100, 150, or 250 yards with?  I've been using 9" white paper plates.  @ 100 yards they all stay on the plate, 150 yards...most but not all.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would this be a qualifying rifle?  
www.fotothing.com/photos/14d/14dbfc8f332ed2349e573b739a5c877b.jpg

I enjoy shooting at 100 and 150 yards.(all I have access to currently)
I'm going to get a membership @ sandusky county sportsments club this spring, so I can shoot to 250yds.  I think they're building a 500 yard range this year also.  

Question:  How big are highpower targets at the different distances?  I know what they look like, just have no idea how big they are.  What would be a good size target to practice @ 100, 150, or 250 yards with?  I've been using 9" white paper plates.  @ 100 yards they all stay on the plate, 150 yards...most but not all.  

Yeah, that will work.  I'm impressed, you even have the sling rigged OK.  For a more effective way to rig that sling, see here.

The standard targets are the SR for 200 yards, the SR-3 for 300, the MR (old) or MR-65 (new) for 500, and the MR-1 for 600 yards.

You can find all the official targets for every regulation distance, with dimensions, for sale here.  There are no targets for 150 or 250 yards, since those are not approved competition distances.

You can also print out some 100 yard HP targets from here.  Look for the 200 reduced to 100, 300 reduced to 100, and 600 reduced to 100.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been wanting to get back into it, but my friend won't lend me his extra spotting scope any more.  He got his wife hooked and she uses it.  What's a good spotting scope for under $200.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've been wanting to get back into it, but my friend won't lend me his extra spotting scope any more.  He got his wife hooked and she uses it.  What's a good spotting scope for under $200.

Konus
Be aware that the eye relief is painfully short, and will be an issue when wearing shooting or prescription glasses.

I would rather save up for Kowa 601 with a 25X Long Eye Relief eyepiece.  The total should be around $480, but you will be much happier in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#30]
thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#31]
im working on it damn, give me a minute. i am goint to shoot a k 31 with irons. what class do i get? hell ill shoot anything. send me the data so i can take vacation days
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
i am goint to shoot a k 31 with irons. what class do i get?

The K31 falls under the NRA Match Rifle category.  Don't worry about what class you will fall in.  The NRA keeps track of that based on your scores, and it doesn't really matter for your first two or three matches.

Quoted: send me the data so i can take vacation days

Miami Rifle & Pistol Club schedule
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top