Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 2:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2009 2:30:01 PM EDT by Neo1130]
So, in order to actually walk out of the gun store, firearm in hand, on the same day I look and decide and purchase, I am trying to apply for a UPIN.  Just want to make sure I am doing this correct?

1. Fill out Voluntary Appeal File application
2. TWO fingerprint cards filled out and signed by a Law Enforcement officer
3. Send to VAF Team at the FBI NICS

There has to be more to it than that!  I have shown my CPL each time and they don't care...  I thought the CPL was supposed to help during a purchase?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:31:04 PM EDT
Didn't think that people diagnosed with PTSD are allowed firearms...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:37:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By spankybear:

Never heard of that one...    There are PLENTY of people here (over in the veterans forums) that have PTSD and still own weapons...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:39:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Neo1130:

Never heard of that one...    There are PLENTY of people here (over in the veterans forums) that have PTSD and still own weapons...

but... they are NOT you!

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:42:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2009 2:45:34 PM EDT by GrabMyWrist]

(ii) After having previously been involuntarily committed for mental health treatment under RCW 71.05.320, *71.34.090, chapter 10.77 RCW, or equivalent statutes of another jurisdiction, unless his or her right to possess a firearm has been restored as provided in RCW 9.41.047

Doctors’ diagnoses are not an adjudication within the meaning of the federal regulations. Nor are doctors or psychiatrists vested as “lawful authorities” for the purposes of adjudicating mental defectiveness.

“Committed” is similarly defined:

Committed to a mental institution. A formal commitment of a person to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority. The term includes a commitment to a mental institution involuntarily. The term includes commitment for mental defectiveness or mental illness. It also includes commitments for other reasons, such as for drug use. The term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission to a mental institution.

Unless committed for it, I don't think PTSD would apply.  At least I hope not....  I've been diagnosed with it as well.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:47:56 PM EDT
Yep, key word is "involuntary."  What's with the hatin' Spankster?  I am not the old Neo...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:50:09 PM EDT
Yep, key word is "involuntary."  What's with the hatin' Spankster?  I am not the old Neo...

You can take the neo out of the jungle, BUTT, you can't take the jungle out of the neo...

You WILL go back to your old ways! It only a matter of time... Tick tick tick...

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:54:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2009 3:51:32 PM EDT by Dinothewap]
Hi Neo!

Some of you need to look in the mirror and give Neo a chance. JMHO

BTW: I think that the right way. I get delayed almost everytime also. I don't think the finances are gonna let me buy another for awhile though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:10:03 PM EDT
So, in order to actually walk out of the gun store, firearm in hand, on the same day I look and decide and purchase, I am trying to apply for a UPIN.  Just want to make sure I am doing this correct?

There has to be more to it than that!  I have shown my CPL each time and they don't care...  I thought the CPL was supposed to help during a purchase?

Sooo, did I miss something?  

Does Washington have a waiting period?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:16:00 PM EDT
I am getting the delay from the Fed level...  Not state...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:33:40 PM EDT
prior to my CPL, I walked out of the store with any long gun I wanted, pistols were the standard waiting period, I was told at the counter that with a CPL there is no wait.  and as of yet I havent purchased a pistol with the CPL. Maybe you have the same name as another person that isnt allowed firearms, that would explain the holdup at the federal level.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:34:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rattlecan6104:

prior to my CPL, I walked out of the store with any long gun I wanted, pistols were the standard waiting period, I was told at the counter that with a CPL there is no wait.  and as of yet I havent purchased a pistol with the CPL. Maybe you have the same name as another person that isnt allowed firearms, that would explain the holdup at the federal level.

This or it could be something in his .mil record... could be a lot of things... I've never been delayed as of yet...

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:38:13 PM EDT
Patience is a sign of maturity.  If it bothers you so much to get through the waiting period, than I hope this solution works for you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:56:23 PM EDT
What is a "UPIN"?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:57:28 PM EDT
I thought the CPL was supposed to help during a purchase?

Think pre 1998.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:57:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
What is a "UPIN"?

Dont ask dont tell.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:02:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bludd:
Dont ask dont tell.  

In that case, Neo whatever you are doing you are probably fucking it up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:06:31 PM EDT
UPIN = Unique Personal Identification Number

If your name is "John Smith" count on being delayed by NICS.  If you're "John Smith" with an assigned UPIN, you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:12:47 PM EDT

just use your social sec number... gah... they'll know what you bought anyways...

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:21:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
What is a "UPIN"?

Universal Penis Implant Needed.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:33:45 PM EDT
Ive been delayed a couple times, once a whole day, most times just an hour or so...last 3 guns.....no delay...who knows what the reason is...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:34:26 PM EDT
I was told you get approved by the sheriff of the county you live in...........just depends how they feel. I went to buy a pistol on a Wednesday at 5:00pm approved by 11:00 am next day. No CPL!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:43:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gascan4:
I was told you get approved by the sheriff of the county you live in...........just depends how they feel. I went to buy a pistol on a Wednesday at 5:00pm approved by 11:00 am next day. No CPL!!

Maybe the Sheriff knows NEO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:55:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2009 8:59:26 PM EDT by VR-15]
It's a hit or miss with me. I never go on a Friday.

ETA= CPL dosent mean shit when it comes to the FED's. I get pushed to the FEDs every time I purchase a gun. My name is on some kind of list. You only need a UPIN when you are denied, not delayed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:56:12 PM EDT
Neo with more guns?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:10:45 PM EDT
I am owning Page Two correctly before GrabMySchlong can let go of his crank.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:14:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:27:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gascan4:

You believe everything you are told?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:45:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:55:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By VR-15:
It's a hit or miss with me. I never go on a Friday.

ETA= CPL dosent mean shit when it comes to the FED's. I get pushed to the FEDs every time I purchase a gun. My name is on some kind of list. You only need a UPIN when you are denied, not delayed.

I have never had an issue even before I had my CPL.
I just picked up my TRP last Friday and a New LMT lower on Sat
I dunno

Sir James...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:55:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 6:56:43 AM EDT by HABU]
Originally Posted By 161Infantry:
Ive been delayed a couple times, once a whole day, most times just an hour or so...last 3 guns.....no delay...who knows what the reason is...

Totally hit and miss for me. I havn't been able to identify and kind of pattern.

approved, delayed, delayed, approved, approved, approved, approved, delayed, approved, delayed, delayed, etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:10:12 AM EDT
WHen you use a CPL to buy a handgun the FFL will run a NICS check. If you pass, you can walk out with the handgun immediately. If you do not have a CPL you have to wait 5 days. THere is no NICS check on a wait period buy. THe state does their own check and does not usually use NICS. SO, if you previously purchased handguns using the wait period and had no issues but now are using a CPL, you run the possibility of being denied by NICS.  THis happended to me. Bought several handguns without CPL with no problems. and then got a CPL. Tried to buy my next handgun using CPL and was denied by NICS. Too common of a name and they wanted more info. Had to go throught the appeal, get 2 sets of fingerprints, give up SSN etc. They have no time period to complete the appeal. They must only respond that an appeal is in progress. I had to get one of our senators involved to push them along after 2 months of waiting.

The UPIN is for ANYONE who wants to use a personal identification number when buying firearms. If you have a common name or been previously put on hold for a purchase due to information that coincides with a person who is not eliglible you may want to get a UPIN.

But, you dont need a UPIN to buy a firearm. It's just extra precaution in case you had previous issues with your name and info. I used to use my UPIN but have not had any issues with my latest purchases not using it.

Your information on the purchase is required to be removed from the system after 24 hours (or is it 48). With a UPIN purchase that is not required by law.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:42:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 11:47:23 AM EDT by DoberDude]
Originally Posted By Dinothewap:
Hi Neo!

I agree with Dino. It's OK to run around in here with a Jiz soaked fur suit but don't even think about mentioning you would have a beer with Hitler.

ETA: I would avoid that UPIN number and just deal with the delay inconvienence. With the UPIN you are giving your permission for them to retain
information about you. Not that they probably don't already but I'm certainly not going to tell them they can.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:54:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:07:08 PM EDT
We don't take money here.

Well....what do you take?

Coupins.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:52:02 PM EDT

Hi Neo!

BTW: I think that the right way. I get delayed almost everytime also. I don't think the finances are gonna let me buy another for awhile though.

Sure.

Right after I get an apology, as opposed to an excuse.

Neo-

Where's the excuse to the WAHTF for your past actions, and specifically one to me?

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 2:03:22 PM EDT by HABU]
Matt––––––––><––––––––––- Neo

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:06:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoberDude:
Hi Neo!

I agree with Dino. It's OK to run around in here with a Jiz soaked fur suit but don't even think about mentioning you would have a beer with Hitler.

ETA: I would avoid that UPIN number and just deal with the delay inconvienence. With the UPIN you are giving your permission for them to retain
information about you. Not that they probably don't already but I'm certainly not going to tell them they can.

Doberdude Lulzz  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:08:33 PM EDT
I must have missed the fur suit thread. Good thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:46:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HABU:

Habu you had to have seen that thread !  Doberdude and Spanky chased the gay guy that is into "furries" (whatever th Eff that is) all throught the thread. I have since seen
Spanky trolling the guy in GD as well. Cracks me up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:01:08 PM EDT
Reason I want to get a UPIN is due to the fact that I live at least 25 miles from ANY sort of gun store...  25 miles there, 25 back...  50 miles...  I get there, get delayed...  A delay means that I have to do another 50 mile round trip for a total of 100 miles just to buy a gun...  That's almost $20 in gas...  $20 that can go towards ammo...  I could give a crap for the wait...  It's the mileage that kills me...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:28:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bludd:
Originally Posted By HABU:

Habu you had to have seen that thread !  Doberdude and Spanky chased the gay guy that is into "furries" (whatever th Eff that is) all throught the thread. I have since seen
Spanky trolling the guy in GD as well. Cracks me up.

link?
Top Top