Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 11:19:52 AM EDT
What's the way to go? Aluminum better in wind and storms or so I'm told.  Vinyl less heat/cold transfer? Cost?  Have almost 30 windows in the house, ugh.

The windows in the house now are the original wood (house mid 1950's ranch) with storm windows on the outside and no screens.  I can only open about 2 of them and even then its with much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Aluminum and don't cheap out on them. My house was built in 2007 and has builders grade windows and they are starting to frost up. Recently received information about a class action lawsuit about faulty builders grade windows. We will see how much they will be willing to pay.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
We had new vinyl windows during hurricane Ike.  They did great.  They were made by Simonton I believe.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I work for a window manufacturer that just opened a location here in Texas. I am going to have to say go with vinyl.  Windows are expensive and you might as well save money over time with better efficiency.  We even do painted vinyl and offer a glass breakage warranty.  So there is some variety and security when going with vinyl.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's the way to go? Aluminum better in wind and storms or so I'm told.  Vinyl less heat/cold transfer? Cost?  Have almost 30 windows in the house, ugh.

The windows in the house now are the original wood (house mid 1950's ranch) with storm windows on the outside and no screens.  I can only open about 2 of them and even then its with much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Thanks
View Quote

I went with sound rated vinyl and have half as many windows as you, which ended up costing over $10k, so prices vary depending on quality/rating.  How good is your home insulation?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top