Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 6:20:13 PM EDT
I'm taking the wife to Helen next week. Did they fix the damage caused by the tornado last August?

Also, I have a concealed weapont permit issued in SC. Can I carry in GA?

Last question: can an out-of-state person buy a gun at a Georgia gun store?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm taking the wife to Helen next week. Did they fix the damage caused by the tornado last August?

A. I passed through there about 4 weeks ago it still looked like a bomb hit the place.

Also, I have a concealed weapont permit issued in SC. Can I carry in GA?

A. Not positive, but I think so.

Last question: can an out-of-state person buy a gun at a Georgia gun store?

A. You can purchase it, but the GA dealer will have to ship it to a FFL in SC where you can legally take possession.

TD
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You can buy a long gun (rifle/shotgun) in Georgia, but the handgun is what has to be shipped.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you can carry in GA.  IIRC SC requires some sort of training, but GA does not, so SC won't honor GA therefor GA won't honor SC.  Bunch of BS.  

Check out www.packing.org for more info:

I pulled this off of there www.packing.org/state/georgia/:

No Georgia permit (but wouldn't be denied from obtaining one) or a permit from a non-reciprocal state(and not listed as one of the ineligible):
You can transport a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle.
Also you can also carry your firearm enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:32:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You can still see some of the damage, especially in the daytime, but it won't really affect your trip. The tornado did not hit the main part of Helen, it kinda skimmed the south side of town.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to Helen last week (02/21/06) and nearly all the stores were closed.  Things might have changed but it was very dissappointing to drive all the way up there from Henry Co.  only a handful (no joke maybe 5 stores) were open.  

Regarding weather damage.  You can readily see the areas that were affected by the tornado but those areas are in the hills over Helen.  I did not see any damage to the town itself unless they already repaired it.    

BTW, funnel cakes in Helen rock!

Mark
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#6]
On the positive side, there is plenty of firewood if you're going camping!

On the way in town from the south side, there is a house on the right side of the road with what looks like 5,000 logs stacked up. They won;t need firewood for the next generation.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies!
There is a gunstore in Atlanta I want to visit and maybe buy a rifle. I think the name of the place is "Adventure Outdoors."
Georgia, here we come!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I went to Helen last week (02/21/06) and nearly all the stores were closed.  Things might have changed but it was very dissappointing to drive all the way up there from Henry Co.  only a handful (no joke maybe 5 stores) were open.  

Regarding weather damage.  You can readily see the areas that were affected by the tornado but those areas are in the hills over Helen.  I did not see any damage to the town itself unless they already repaired it.    

BTW, funnel cakes in Helen rock!

Mark

Some of the shops are still closed for the winter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The wife and I spent more than a few weekends renting a cabin in Helen.  My friend from work was actualy up there when the tornado was going through.  Last time we went was during Valentines Day and even more than a year ago the mass majority of the shops were closed.  I think that has to do with the season not the tornado.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Pictures taken 10/1/05, at 7am on Saturday morning on my search for some coffee.
The tornado damages were mostly fixed.

SC and GA don't reciprocate CCWs.

If you plan to stay overnight, I highly recommend the Bear Creek Chalet.  It's like a home away from home, better than any of the hotels.
http://www.secure-entech.com/entech/Details2.aspx?co=A1V&ucode=BRCRKCH&in=&out

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 on renting a chalet.  I rented one with the wife for a weekend once.  Can't remember the name but it was great!  Very nice all wood interior with a hot tub outside.  Only a 5 min drive from the main part of town.  I highly recommend it.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There is a gunstore in Atlanta I want to visit and maybe buy a rifle. I think the name of the place is "Adventure Outdoors."

Adventure Outdoors is in Marietta which is on the NW side of Atlanta.  I live about a mile from them.  They have a great selection, but you might want to call them first to see if they have what you want unless you just want to make the trek.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#13]
where in Marietta is ate store located?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
where in Marietta is ate store located?

It's actually Smyrna.  It's near the intersection of South Cobb Dr and Windy Hill Rd.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#15]
THANKS
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Adventure Outdoors is a good shop.  they always seem to have what i want to look at when i stop by.

it is part of the Davidson's distributorship, so that explains the large inventory and speed that they can get things in for you when ordered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top