Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2010 12:42:45 PM EDT
Let me start this by saying in my almost seventeen year career I have seen the human body damaged in almost every way possible, shot, burned, rotted, dismembered, disemboweled etc etc etc.  Not bragging or trying to sound cool its just part of my job.  I have never gotten sick, ever.  Today I took my five year old to the dentist.  She decided his rear molar on the top right needed to be pulled.  She puts the gas on his nose, doing good so far.  Next she starts giving some shots in the gums to numb it, it starts feeling a little warm in the exam room, my scalp starts to sweat.  She starts to check his other teeth, and the air gets a little thin but I dont remember a change in altitude.  I glance away and feel my son grip my hand tight.  I look over and she has ahold of the bad tooth with what looked like pliers and she is pulling and wiggleing the tooth.  My vision starts tunneling down like I am looking through a small tube and I feel my stomach start rolling.  I guess made a noise cause she looked up at me and ask if I was ok as the bloody tooth popped out.  So glad I was sitting as I felt my knees buckle.  Gavin had some tears and said it hurt but never really cried.  I started to slowly see and breath again.  Really gets to you when its your kid.  Cost me a small fortune at Toys R Us but I....er I mean he deserved it.  We had lunch at Red Lobster(his Idea actually) and went home.

Not happy at all

PS: On a lighter note a guy tried to steal my laptop at the stoplight.  I was on Kingsway at Manchester rd, guy is walking up the side of the road and I can see him looking into the passenger seats of the cars as he walks by.  My laptop was laying on my passenger seat.  He pauses as he walks by my car then keeps moving.  I watch in my mirror and he pauses at my back bumper, I unholster, he walks back up to my door and grabs the door handle, he must have seen my XDm at this time because he let go of the door handle like it was hot and took off behind the gas station.  Light turned green and I left.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been lucky enough to miss both of my kids tooth extractions... lucky me.

And on the 2nd part of your post, your just reinforcing my "always keep the doors locked policy" in my vehicles.
Hopefully he at least wet his pants a little when he saw your weapon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a similar experience when the Dr. was setting my (then) 19 month old daughter's elbow.

round was chambered?  :thumbsupsmiley:
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
round was chambered?
Kinda usless if it ain't.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
round was chambered?

This.

And that area can get a little rough during some times of the day, but then again thats only a few miles from my house
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask my wife about my 7 year old girl getting her tonsils removed when she was 2/3 yrs old. I almost passed out, then came UNHINGED in the OR. I was having REAL PROBLEMS processing what was happening. Apparently i told the staff(my wife's co-workers), " That shit was about to get real"!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad you survived!

That is one of the reasons why I will not let parents/relatives/legal guardians stay with their children while treatment is being rendered.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I know EXACTALLY how you feel

Years ago , we took our daughter,about 1, to the Dr. , I can't remember exactally what for, but it was very painful to her.

Doc need her to be very still ,and wanted ME to hold her from wiggling , she was facing me . The look she gave me , not understanding why I was holding her down while this strange man hurt her.

I could NOT phisically hold my 1 yr old daughter still.

Doc got mad and called in some nurses ,don't know why he didn't do that from the start.

Man, I can feel it like it was yesterday, not 24 years , getting very dusty here
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The sound of my daughter yelling/screaming in pain or because she's scared does something to me that I have never felt before in my life.  It's even worse when it's necessary.  I have little to no emotions outside of those conditions, especially not anger.

The last time I passed out was from blood loss and shock.  Good times.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I don't have children so feel free to discredit anything I say as you see fit;
My main source of income right now is a Nurse in an ER so I atleast have some insight into this; however heres the low down (trying to reply to a few people here)
Note: if I use 'we' its to refer to as healthcare providers in general (doctors, nurses, dentists, etc...)

Current studies show that patient and family satisfaction (a big deal) is directly effected by access to a patient and availability of information. Most notably allowing key family members in the treatment area is a GOOD thing. Especially in pediatric patients it helps to decrease anxiety and perceived pain.
Kids are far more comfortable with their family member giving them a big hug (holding them down) than some stranger. I try to feel this out and, and will most times will flat out ask if they think they can hold them still or if they would like someone else to. I have restrained allot of children and while isn't something I enjoy there is a reason.
If the procedure is going to be painful the family gets a chair, and I will chat with you/talk you through the experience, this is common amongst most nurses. Get used to it, we don't really care about what your going to do when you get home, we're just distracting you a little and making sure your still tracking and not getting ready to go down, thats a lot of paperwork for us.
If you don't understand something, have an issue, are going to pass out do us a favor; say something.

its late and I just got off a 12 hour shift, I'll proof read this some other day
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
round was chambered?

as quoted by the man in your avatar
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Poor little guy (your son ).

Funny the things that will get to ya.  I have worked countless traumas, seen things working in an inner city ER that cannot be unseen, but there are simple things that still get to me.

We are only human.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#12]
IM Sent
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#13]
It's because it was someone you care about deeply. same thing happened to me when my grandpa described how he was sent to the hospital.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's because it was someone you care about deeply.

This! I don't have the experience in LE as the OP, but this is what it is!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top