Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 6:31:04 AM EDT
Brown bear hunting on Kodiak Island.  .45-70 or .338Winmag?  Why?  I have both, still can't decide on which one to bring on a hunt.  I don't want to carry both.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Which are you most proficient with?

Do you reload?  What is your ammo selection like?

My choice would be hot load heavy 45/70
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hunting, as opposed to defending, I think I would prefer the flatter shooting .338WM with a heavy monolith type bullet in a scoped rifle if at a distance.

But then again, I haven't hunted bear on Kodiak.  If it is brushy and the shot will be close, a heavy 45-70 should do the job nicely considering I know people who hunt the smallish blackies with .44's.  Is it a black or brown bear you are after?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The 45-70 is one of the better choices for self protection however you will be Hunting, the338 is a much better all around Hunting cartridge. If you put yourself in a situation where you need a 45-70 Levergun your Guide will already be involved.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Lot more .338 action up here than 45-70 . Either would work . If you are getting close I would go 45-70. Who is your guide?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever you do, do NOT listen to this guy from this thread:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=192693

Talking black bears, but man, he ain't right.

Quoted:
The only reason that a black bear will attack a human is if you either
A: accidentally sneak up on it and spook it.
or B: you accidentally came between a mother and its cubs.(Very bad,If you see cubs, pull out the gun and back away slowly)

in either case, you will have about 1.4 seconds to respond before it rips your head off so don't worry so much about mag capacity, you'll be lucky if you get 1 or 2 shots off. you CAN NOT fire and retreat from a charging bear.
The more power you can pack into one shot the better. aim for the vitals not the head. unless you get it in a soft spot or at a perfect 90 degree angle to the bone, the bullet will most likely skip off the skull and you will have an even more pissed bear on your hands.

the smaller the gun the better as well. if you are attacked, it is likely that the bear will have to on the ground before you know that there IS a bear. In which case, a shorter barrel will make it easier for you to get out you gun and press the muzzle into the target while the bear is standing on top of you.  try to get it into the head at the base of the neck, fastest kill. a shot right through the heart and you have a dead bear, but he still gets about 30 seconds to maul you before he dies.

as far as ammo. normal self defense loads wont reliably expand on a human wearing a winter coat, I can almost guarantee that it wont expand on the thick hide of a bear.  for the .357, carry something made for hunting bear, like Winchester Platinum tips.
for the .45....I cant think of anyone that makes a hunting specific round for it(correct me if I'm wrong) so go for the penetration with the FMJ.

which ever you chose to carry, make sure you have it in holster that quick and easy to draw from. if you happen to carry the .45 on or off duty that will give it a bit of an edge over the 357 as you will probubly have practiced drawing with and using it more.

given the choice, I would carry the para tac four. I'v used 1911's for years, drawing and getting on target is second nature, and it will work great on the 2 legged preditors as well.

Talking black bears, but man, he ain't right.

I'd go with the .338.  If the .45-70 is a levergun, bring it to keep at camp.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure to have a gun with no front sight

It hurts less when the bear shoves it up your ass
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
.357, carry something made for hunting bear, like Winchester Platinum tips.
for the .45....I cant think of anyone that makes a hunting specific round for it(correct me if I'm wrong) so go for the penetration with the FMJ.

which ever you chose to carry, make sure you have it in holster that quick and easy to draw from. if you happen to carry the .45 on or off duty that will give it a bit of an edge over the 357 as you will probubly have practiced drawing with and using it more.

given the choice, I would carry the para tac four. I'v used 1911's for years, drawing and getting on target is second nature, and it will work great on the 2 legged preditors as well.

From the latter statements I assume he is referring to a .45ACP and not Long Colt.

There is a reason they don't make the Platinum Point hunting rounds in .357 or .45ACP, they are entirely inappropriate for bear, they are made in .41Mag, .44Mag, .454Casull, and .500S&W.  .45ACP is for people or maybe something like a hog on down but not bear!

If I carried a .44, which would be in addition to my long gun, I usually had it loaded with Garrett Cartridges heavy solid bronze bullets.  Now I use Garrett Cartridges super hard cast Hammerhead ammo.

Quite soon instead of the .44, I'll be using a .500S&W.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I called him on it if you read the thread I linked to.

you should see his response.  I gave up.  I guess I have no clue about bears being that I am in AK not MN or something.

Anyone got a pic of bear poo?  I want to label it "Timmy Treadwell's Autopsy Photo".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top