Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 8:14:04 AM EDT
Well, I awoke this morning feeling something had gone wrong and paced around the house.  A short time later I found that aabout the time I awoke that Mt. Augustine let go and blow part of its top.  Volacnic ash is now lightly coming down.  

Check out: http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Augustine.php
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Aw man, I hate it when those volcanos erupt.  Luckily Augustine's real far away from Anchorage.  At least in the winter it'll be like a free sanding of the roads
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I remeber reading it was ready to blow a week or so back .
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if it will effect air travel tomorrow

I have to go to Anchorage, damn would hate to get 'stuck' at home
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I love a good disaster.

Arcticbear is going to get the brunt of it since he is the closest to it.  At my wife's work here in Seward they have been passing out covers for all the computer equipment in case of ash fallout.  I think they are a bit overcautious.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good thing they are getting it over with.
The Artic games were really sweating it.

Can't they just build a big cap to put over the volcano with the 500K "Security Funds" they got
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Dayum, I wish I knew that this morning. I flew back to ANC from Dutch Harbor early this afternoon and would have looked out for it..
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dayum, I wish I knew that this morning. I flew back to ANC from Dutch Harbor early this afternoon and would have looked out for it..

What do you do in Unalaska?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in Anchorage. I was there for a few days to check on some fishing boats before next weeks openings. It was my first time there. Lots of WWII era structures still there. Many are still being used. There are small concrete pill boxes evely spaced along some of the beachs. I have to plan to go back sometime during the summer. It would be interesting to wander around looking at stuff.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Never got so see anything, we had low scud for most of the day.  Assh was as high as 28,000 and went towards Clam Gultch.  I will wait we will hear more from Augustine this year.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you do in Unalaska?

Probably drink . Thats about all there is to do out that way eh?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#12]
So, when are our 9,999 other volcanoes going to rumble?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top